Latest post Mon, Mar 13 2017 11:40 AM by blattanzi. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 12 2017 9:17 PM

• blattanzi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 23 2009
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Just upgraded 7 to 8. Project lost all folders, all media in one folder

Hi - Just coming back to Avid after a few years away. I am working with a project that was created in MC7. It is massive, and beautifully organized in a meticulous folder structure. I found I needed to to upgrade to 8 to run MC with Sierra, and did so. The project opens fine, plays fine, all the media is here -- and all the folders, every one of them is gone. I have a safety copy of the original 7 project, but I don't have a solve for this. Is this a bug of upgrading? Or is there something I can do to prevent losing the folders? The project is unworkable without them. Of course, I'm on a tight schedule, so any rapid-response advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ps: running a mid-2011 27"Imac 3.4 ghz, dual core i7, with 24 gb of RAM, if it matters.

• Sun, Mar 12 2017 10:10 PM In reply to

Re: Just upgraded 7 to 8. Project lost all folders, all media in one folder

FWIW I have just opened a 2012 Project last opened in MC7 on a PC and the folder structure is completely intact. (opened with the same user as the project was last used)

When looking at the Project folder with Windows explorer (Finder) I can see all of the folders and which bins are inside each of them.  So maybe if you look at your safety copy in Finder where you could get all the Folder names  and which bins were in each Folder.  This could let you quickly rebuild the original Folder structure in your MC 8 version. I would find screen shots of the original version helpful with rebuilding.  Good luck.

• Sun, Mar 12 2017 10:19 PM In reply to

• blattanzi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Thanks, though of course I'm trying to avoid a manual rebuild, not only because there are easily a couple of hundred folders (and folders within folders) but this just shouldn't happen. And it's a very poor use of time I don't have to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. I don't imagine I'm the only one this has happened to. But good to know it doesn't happen all the time. I will try copying the safety and upgrading it again and see what happens.

• Sun, Mar 12 2017 11:31 PM In reply to

Did you check the fast menu in project window (hamburger)- perhaps there is FLAT VIEW selected?

hth

j

MC 2018.4 @ OS10.10.5 w/matrox mini 2x2.26 quad-core intel xeon w/32gb in my production company and MC 2018.7.1 @ OS 10.10.5 on macbook pro for teaching... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 13 2017 1:16 AM In reply to

• blattanzi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Thanks for the kind suggestion. I checked but it didn't matter. However, I think I've sussed it out. Here's the theory:  It's not 8 that blew away the folders, it was opening the project in MC 7... on Sierra.Didn't know about that non-compatibility thing. It crashed the first time I tried anything, and then crashed again, instantly on reboot. And that's the project I've been loading to 8. Fortunately, I can get another clean copy, and will try that straight to  8. I will report back when I get the clean one tomorrow.

• Mon, Mar 13 2017 11:40 AM In reply to

• blattanzi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Solved! The folders were lost when opening the project in MC7 running Sierra. A result of the immediate crash. Got new clean copy of the project and loaded it in 8, all is well. Thanks! Moral: Sierra wrecks MC7 projects.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller