Latest post Wed, Mar 8 2017 9:29 PM by BrettG. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 27 2017 4:21 PM

• John Brune
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Fort Wayne, IN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 215

Trying to understand trade in options of older software

I've been out of touch with AVID for a few years but since my computer went bye-bye I've been forced to purchase a brand new computer and upgrade all my software.  I am interested in perpetual MC license option but I have older software (6.0.1) and will take advantage of the trade in that is offered.  I am assuming that since the AVID website says it's a 70% savings that it's the equivalent to buying the perpetual license for only $399.  Hopefully I'm interpreting this correctly.

The annual upgrade option--is it only for getting upgrades and AVID support?  In other words--do I have to have an upgrade plan in order to continue to use my perpetual license?  My interpretation is that I could pay for the perpetual license and not have to worry about monthly or annual renewal fees and have the OPTION to upgrade if I choose/have tech support.

Is the production add-on (titler, Izotope, etc) worth it?  Is it subscription based or can I add that to my perpetual license?  God I miss the days of buying this software on a disc!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

John Brune

steadicamjr@yahoo.com

John Brune, Fort Wayne, IN

• Mon, Feb 27 2017 9:45 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,342
    • Points 108,970
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Trying to understand trade in options of older software

Hi John

The upgrade offer is $399 for those that have a MC v3.0 or later license.  This will net you a perpetual license and bring it up to MC 8.8 and 365 days of upgrades and support from date of purchase.  Then it wouod be $299 per year to maintain that level of suport and upgrades and keep the license current.

If you chose to NOT renew after the first year, then the perptual license will stay at the last version you were eligible to use priro to expiration of the plan. 

Perpetual licenses come with:

Media Composer software—Edit SD, HD, high-res, HDR, and stereoscopic 3D material
    Media Composer | Symphony Option (30-day trial)—Get advanced color, effects, and mastering tools; includes Boris Continuum Complete Lite to create dazzling 2D and 3D graphics, visual effects, and more
    NewBlue Titler Pro 2—Create stunning and chic professional 2D and 3D video titles in your timeline
    iZotope Insight 30-day trial—Visualize and troubleshoot mixes for compliance with loudness standards
    Sorenson Squeeze 9 Pro (30-day trial)—Render the highest quality video and audio files, with support for Avid MXF output

HTH John

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 6:26 PM In reply to

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012
    • Posts 30
    • Points 435

Hi Marianna,

I have been doing some digging on this... but can't seem to nail down the answer. Perhaps this will be of help to other editors who are considering the $399 update deal, which expires at the end of this month...

Does the $399 deal cover an upgrade of Symphony to the latest version of Media Composer with the Symphony option? We are running Symphony 6.5 here and are very much interested in updating the system to the latest MC with Symphony. However, it looks like the deal only covers the upgrade to MC itself ... while choosing the Symphony option is still another $750. Correct?

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 6:40 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,342
    • Points 108,970
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

BrettG

Q:  Does the $399 deal cover an upgrade of Symphony to the latest version of Media Composer with the Symphony option?

A:   Depends on what version you have... ( even though I kow you have 6.5 I am going to explain for everyone ).If you have MC 7.x or later then your Symphony Option should have been broken off from MC so you would have 2 activations.  1 for MC and 1 for Sym option.  If it is pre 7 then yes the upgrade would net you MC and the Sym Option as they are seperate now.

Q:   However, it looks like the deal only covers the upgrade to MC itself ... while choosing the Symphony option is still another $750. Correct?

A:    Wrong you get both for $399

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 7:02 PM In reply to

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 435

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up, Marianna.

In that case... I would love to unbundle our current version of Media Composer 8.8, now associated with a new trashcan MacPro, and install a new version of Media Composer 8.8, with the Symphony option, to take adavantage of the deal.

In other words, we currently have one modern trashcan MacPro running *only* Media Composer 8.8. We also have a legacy MacPro tower from 2008 running Symphony 6.5. Would there be a problem "unliscensing" the trascan MacPro with our MC 8.8 and switching over the legacy Symphony version for a full update to MC 8.8, with Symphony option? I'm a little confused, as I know our current dongle on the traschcan MacPro is associated with a particular system I.D., etc. I guess that would make that current MC 8.8 license rather useless... as our other systems are just legacy machines with outdated operating systems, etc. Still, though, $399 for a new license of MC 8.8 *and* Symphony still beats paying $750 for just the Symphony option.

Are all of my assumptions correct? Is there a problem disassociating a dongle with newest system and starting a new license with our Symphony dongle (everything is on dongles here). 

Thanks again!

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 8:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,342
    • Points 108,970
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

BrettG

happy to help.

You ask:  we currently have one modern trashcan MacPro running *only* Media Composer 8.8. We also have a legacy MacPro tower from 2008 running Symphony 6.5. Would there be a problem "unliscensing" the trascan MacPro with our MC 8.8 and switching over the legacy Symphony version for a full update to MC 8.8, with Symphony option?

Answer:  you have 2 comuters - one Trashcan and one Macpro Tower. Correct.  

YOU ask:   I'm a little confused, as I know our current dongle on the traschcan MacPro is associated with a particular system I.D., etc. I guess that would make that current MC 8.8 license rather useless... as our other systems are just legacy machines with outdated operating systems, etc. Still, though, $399 for a new license of MC 8.8 *and* Symphony still beats paying $750 for just the Symphony option. 

Yes it is doable....  the 6.5 license I assume is on a dongle correct?  I know the 8.8 one currently is. Each license is associated with a System ID which follows the liccense through its lifetime.  Once the MC 8.8 and Symphony Option are provided through the 6.5 to 8.8 upgrade at $399, you can use the Symphony otion on any system you wish as it can be used in Activatio form which emans you vcan move it around from system to system.

Confused?

If so I can call you.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 9:29 PM In reply to

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 435

Thank you. I think I've got it. 

Yes. We have two computers in question... a Trashcan and MacPro tower from 2008.

For some reason, I assumed the dongle System ID had to be tied to a particular computer. I guess that is the reason that we have dongles, so that we can move from computer to computer!

So, I presume, I will just pull the 8.8 MC dongle from the Trashcan, keep it to use for another time, and switch the now Symphony 6.5 dongle, currently in the MacPro tower, to that Trashcan and update as usual. Then, I will probably dedicate that partiuclar updated dongle to only the Trashcan, as that is the only computer that will be running Symphony.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller