Latest post Mon, Aug 14 2017 2:17 AM by Mondo. 33 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 7 2017 4:55 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,236
    • Points 41,875
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: More GPUs Supported Now?

Pat Horridge:
    I guess the only issue would be users posting the meter was broken and wasn't working...
    Ouch!!

GPU-Z is a free utility that shows pretty much everything about your GPU, including the process load. On my system, using a UHD 29.97P project, a single stream takes up about 7% of the GPU load, whereas a PIP uses about 30%. So the GPU is definitely doing something (I validated this by disabling GPU effects, and noted a lot less GPU load during playback).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Jul 7 2017 6:10 PM In reply to

• irwinpks
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 22 2011
    • Posts 71
    • Points 825

DStone:

OCL < 361.91 is not supported. All the cards listed on that page are supported, as all the later GeForce cards. And the GeForce does support CUDA. I use a GTX 960 myself. Exactly what MC does on the GPU is known only to Avid.

Thank you for clarifying.  I'm looking at ways to get the most out of my 5-year old system by upgrading where possible.  My system configuration in my profile is what I have now.  I wasn't aware of Nvidia's CUDA within their graphic card platform, so this would be my next upgrade.

Here's what I came up on components to replace/add

• CPU: current Intel i7-3820 3.6ghz (4-core) ->>> i7-3960X 3.30 GHz (6-core)
    • System RAM: 16gb ->> 32gb
    • Media Drive (add): HighPoint RocketStor 6114V 4-Bay Raid 5 Usb 3.1 with PCI-E to USB 3.1 interface + 4 2TB 7200RPM drives
    • GPU: Now researching best possible (value & performance)

My current media drive is a single 500TB SSD.  It works great if I ingest the content & MC converts to MXF...then I can do a 4-camera edit pretty smoothly.  Its the time waiting for this to happen is where I'd like to have better performance.  If I edit only 2 cameras, then I'd simply link to the source files and then render the project after completion.  With 4-cameras, its a struggle.  So I'm hoping with the new GPU, there would be a significant performance increase in speed.

Aside from the tweaks, I was also considering a new system.  Though the budget is not there yet and I'd have to wait.

Anyway, if there is anything else that can be tweaked, feel free (anyone) to jump in and make suggestions.

AVID Media Composer 8.5 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Intel i7-3820 3.6ghz, 16gb RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7700, 256gb SSD (OS & App only), 512gb SSD (Media)... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 7 2017 6:15 PM In reply to

• irwinpks
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 71
    • Points 825

DStone:

GPU-Z is a free utility that shows pretty much everything about your GPU, including the process load. On my system, using a UHD 29.97P project, a single stream takes up about 7% of the GPU load, whereas a PIP uses about 30%. So the GPU is definitely doing something (I validated this by disabling GPU effects, and noted a lot less GPU load during playback).

I'm checking this out now.

AVID Media Composer 8.5 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Intel i7-3820 3.6ghz, 16gb RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7700, 256gb SSD (OS & App only), 512gb SSD (Media)... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 7 2017 6:15 PM In reply to

• irwinpks
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 71
    • Points 825

• Sat, Jul 8 2017 3:40 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,236
    • Points 41,875

There's been a lot of debate in the past about number of cores vs. CPU speed. I'm of the opinion that speed should take preference over cores for MC. I'm not sure that MC will take full advantage of an AMD ThreadRipper or Intel I9. At least not until someone has one and does some testing. I could be wrong.

More RAM is always a good thing. MC is memory hungry.

A fast RAID 0 (or RAID 10) might give you your biggest bang for the buck for performance of multiple streams (does the HighPoint support hardware RAID?)

And while a faster GPU is always desirable, you don't always get as much of a performance increase as you might think from swtiching between a higher end card and the highest end card. This is because MC predominantly uses the shaders on the GPU. 3rd party plug-ins may take more advantage of the GPU, but that's vendor specific.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sat, Jul 8 2017 8:23 AM In reply to

May I suggest the freeware program GPU Shark.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Jul 8 2017 11:59 AM In reply to

Yes I've used some of the 3rd party GPU monitors but it would be more useful in MC.

Of course this all really comes down to a new playback engine for MC and that was talked about some years back but hasn't appeared.

Until the core playback engine is overhauled to bring up to modern code its just patching plasters.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Jul 8 2017 12:51 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 602
    • Points 7,140

DStone:

For the Mac, the NVidia GeForce GT 750M is not supported.

This is as of MC 8.8.3. The list may have been updated with later versions of MC.

Interesting that the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB is blacklisted seeing it is built into the MB on the MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014 laptop.  There are allot of us that use this laptop in the field for client visual reference and media offloads. I have Avid loaded on my MacBook and haven't notice any problems but I do most all of my editing on my HP computer and only occasionally edit a demo sequence for a client in the field.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px 'Helvetica Neue'}

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 48GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 780, DeckLink SDI 4K, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 9 2017 9:43 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,236
    • Points 41,875

The difference between a qualified card and a disqualified one is whether or not GPU effects will be used. It doesn't mean that the card won't work, but ACPL (GPU effects) is disabled.

Dave S.

• Mon, Aug 7 2017 8:13 PM In reply to

Marianna:

David et al 

We changed from a GPU white list to a GPU black list.

When you launch media composer it looks for greater than 2GB GPU memory.  If that is good it does a transfer to GPU test. If that passes it turns on the GPU acceleration.

If one of these tests doesn’t pass it doesn’t turn on GPU acceleration.

The black list ONLY contains cards where we know there is an issue.

Marianna

Marianna,

We know that Media Composer, for all of the complaints from all of us, LOL, is the best editing platform. Background rendering alone makes it a killer, in addition to all of the metadata, bin and timeline tracking and info features.

That said, I humbly request that you let product management know that playback performance is sorely falling behind. And this is probably due to not using the GPU for playback.

I just opened a project in MC that I worked on quite awhile ago, and it crawled when compared to some competing NLE's.

Thanks so much, and I hope all is going VERY WELL!

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Aug 8 2017 8:54 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,455

DStone:

pretty much any modern CUDA based card will work (so both current Quadro and GTX cards). You can also use the Radeon FirePro line of cards, but I don't know about the consumer level Radeon cards. As Avid finds cards that don't work, the get added to the non qualified card list.

Just making sure that Quadro P2000 would work - 

thanks

L

MC 8.9.2 - Win 10 pro, Asus PrimeZ270 with i7 7700 cpu, Quadro P2000,32gig memory, 500gig SSD system drive, WD 5TB,and 2TB media drive,matrox mini, external... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 9 2017 9:12 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,236
    • Points 41,875

The Quadro P2000 is not on the disqualified list.

Dave S.

• Thu, Aug 10 2017 12:07 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 740
    • Points 9,140

Pat Horridge:

Of course this all really comes down to a new playback engine for MC and that was talked about some years back but hasn't appeared.

At the time of that thread I seem to rmember Avid chiming in that it had happened, the engine was overhauled... a great disappointment to us all that it still stops on every click, isn't more multicored, doesn't leverage the GPU more than it does.

But... just finished cutting on CC2017 and I'll tkae Avid anyday, smoother, reliable - even with the clunks and old features (like wow the colour correction in CC)

BTW - where is our "new generation titler due in April" Avid??

And I watch CC using as many cores as it can get - while Avid under-uses 7...

MC8.6.5 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Thu, Aug 10 2017 1:30 AM In reply to

carlgmi:
    At the time of that thread I seem to rmember Avid chiming in that it had happened,

True.  However this "chiming in" was not an Avid information release but rather a particular spin doctor working at Avid posting in these forums.

What makes the AVE situation even more disappointing to me now is that MC First (substantially delayed) had offered a great opportunity to develop a great modern playback engine.  The requirement for "First" to have the basics of the Avid feature set and very similar UI could obviously have made it a great testing ground before introducing this "New" AVE into the full Avid NLE line.   IMO a huge wasted opportunity.

When MC First was initially considered Pro Tools needed a needed a new video engine. Avid fitted a new one (for Pro Tools).  It just happened to be the old clunker from MC with a couple of minor updates.   Avid was working on a Pro Tools First at the same time as MC First. So, IMO, two great opportunities missed making the AVE saga doubly disappointing for MC and Pro Tools users.

• Thu, Aug 10 2017 3:10 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,623
    • Points 18,590

carlgmi:
    But... just finished cutting on CC2017 and I'll tkae Avid anyday, smoother, reliable - even with the clunks and old features (like wow the colour correction in CC)

Interesting comments - you're sure that just isn't down to the fact that you're more familiar with MC? I've been cutting on PPCC for a while now and I certainly don't find it clunky. I also find being able to drop timelines directly into Media Encoder a massive workflow improvement over Avid. That and base camera colour correction on multicam save me so much time I doubt I'll ever go back. 

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller