Latest post Fri, Feb 3 2017 6:12 AM by Andrew. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 3 2017 4:43 AM

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,195

May have bought wrong iMac for MC.

Hi,

First the good news, my new iMac has a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz, it has 16GB of memory, has 1TB Fusion Drive storage and an Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 GPU.  And it has MacOS Sierra.  And it's a late 2015 iMac.

Now the bad news.  My iMac does not have a Retina 4K display.

Is this going to be a issue?  I already uploaded stuff in my iMac. (Microsoft Office etc.)

Avid MC v2018.10, macOS Mojave 10.14.1, iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), , Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory: 16 GB 1867... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 3 2017 5:32 AM In reply to

Re: May have bought wrong iMac for MC.

You don't need a Retina display. Avid works fine without it. IN FACT, it might be better without it, as the UI isn't optimized for the Retina displays, and looks a bit odd at times (so I hear).

If you are thinking you need it to judge the quality of your footage, then I will let you know that the Avid interface, the SOURCE and RECORD monitors in Avid, aren't color accurate...not designed to be. They are there to show you what you are doing. For color accuracy you need an IO device and HDTV or broadcast monitor.

• Fri, Feb 3 2017 6:12 AM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,195

Re: May have bought wrong iMac for MC.

Shane Ross:

You don't need a Retina display. Avid works fine without it. IN FACT, it might be better without it, as the UI isn't optimized for the Retina displays, and looks a bit odd at times (so I hear).

If you are thinking you need it to judge the quality of your footage, then I will let you know that the Avid interface, the SOURCE and RECORD monitors in Avid, aren't color accurate...not designed to be. They are there to show you what you are doing. For color accuracy you need an IO device and HDTV or broadcast monitor.

Whew!  Thanks for the feedback.  Yeah, I didn't buy the one with Retina 4K because that would have cost me an additional $400.

Avid MC v2018.10, macOS Mojave 10.14.1, iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), , Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory: 16 GB 1867... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller