Latest post Thu, May 3 2018 8:15 AM by Telegram!. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 20 2017 7:35 AM

• sergiumm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 24 2012
    • Posts 47
    • Points 575

FrameFlex in multicam mode

Good day, I have one qestion using FrameFlex option in multicam mode. I have two files with adjusted FrameFlex. I group this files by IN point and get group clip, but after inserting this clip on timeline I do not see FrameFlex icon on the clip and can't apply FrameFlex option to group clip - "Source settings" is inactive. Although FrameFlex settings is applied to clips and I see it in group clip, I can't adjust it and I need adjust FrameFlex individually for each clip on timeline, created during multicam editing. Can I do this?

Media Composer 8.6.5 ,Windows10Pro,Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50Ghz 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 6 2017 4:33 PM In reply to

Re: FrameFlex in multicam mode

Sad with all the traffic on this forum that nobody has bothered to answer your question from JANUARY. It would be nice to see someone from Avid comment with a workaround for this.

I'm having this same issue too.  Everything I'm reading seems to suggest that the Frameflex we all know and love is essentially "broken" for all practical purposes in multicam mode.  You can apply frame flex to the clip in the bin via the "source settings" window and just refresh your sequence adapters to see it apply to the entire source, but the green dot isn't available in the timeline.  So that means no direct editing of individual camera cuts.  Stinks because I use frame flex, literally, ALL THE TIME.  It's my secret weapon when I'm cutting 1080p with my 4k footage.... punch in for the close up. 

This has gotta be fixed, or at least have a viable workaround besides re-cutting dozens of sources into 1080p sequences.  I would assume that applying any scaling effect in the timeline (3D warp or film blowup) would just scale from 1080p, not the native resolution of the source (4K or else)?? 

Any official Avid folks care to suggest a workaround?  Would be most helpful for sure.  Thanks in advance.

Avid Media Composer 8.3 ASUS Intel i7 Laptop Windows 8 8GB RAM USB3/eSATA media storage Nvidia GTX765m display card [view my complete system specs]

Jason Spencer, Director/DP/Editor digitallunchbox.com

• Thu, Apr 6 2017 4:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,250
    • Points 206,020
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jason....

I couldnt find your record in our system to create a case and get working on this for you....  I can tell you that if you are still using 8.3 as your specs indicate... there have been changes to frameflex and Multicam and fixes as well.  8.8.2 is coming and that has a few as well.

email me direct and include your system ID

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Fri, Apr 7 2017 9:59 AM In reply to

• brawur
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Emden
    • Posts 41
    • Points 490

Hi, I am sorry to tell you that this problem is also there in 8.8.2.

If you are using multicam mode flexframe is no longer available in effects mode.

I would realy appreciate if I could use flexframe after the multicam editing for each clip seperately.

MC 8.8.1 with Symphony Option, on dual Intel E5 2670, EVGA SR-X with 32 GB RAM G.Skill, Quadro K-5000 4 x 2TB Videoraid, System on SSD, Render on SSD... [view my complete system specs]

Dual Opteron 275, NVidia Quaddro FX3700, 4GB, Windows 7

• Fri, Apr 7 2017 11:32 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,277
    • Points 61,915

As a workaround, at picture lock, You can try to "commit edits", replacing the groups with the source clips, and see how it works out. If You only need to reframe a small number of cuts You can match frame the group, match frame again from the source monitor, which will load the original clip, and cut it to the timeline; not feasible for a large number of cuts.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Apr 7 2017 1:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,250
    • Points 206,020
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

brawur:

Hi, I am sorry to tell you that this problem is also there in 8.8.2.

If you are using multicam mode flexframe is no longer available in effects mode.

I would realy appreciate if I could use flexframe after the multicam editing for each clip seperately.

v8.8.2????  that isnt out yet so how do you have a copy of that????

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Fri, Apr 7 2017 2:28 PM In reply to

• brawur
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Emden
    • Posts 41
    • Points 490

Sorry. Two left hands. It is 8.8.1 of course

MC 8.8.1 with Symphony Option, on dual Intel E5 2670, EVGA SR-X with 32 GB RAM G.Skill, Quadro K-5000 4 x 2TB Videoraid, System on SSD, Render on SSD... [view my complete system specs]

Dual Opteron 275, NVidia Quaddro FX3700, 4GB, Windows 7

• Tue, Jul 4 2017 4:28 AM In reply to

• Paul Muzzin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 23 2011
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 17
    • Points 175

Was a solution posted on this issue?

I am editing with multicam in a 1080 project with 2k footage. I would like to use FrameFlex but I don't see the green dot and could use your advice. 

Thanks.

2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB | Mac OS X Sierra | Media Composer 8.8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 3 2018 7:01 AM In reply to

• NickFJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 24 2012
    • Sydney
    • Posts 18
    • Points 170

Hi Folks,

I'm cutting on MC 2018.3 &  10.13.3 - Late 2013 Trashcan and this still appears to be a feature that has not been addressed. It would be very handy for the next stretch of work I'm doing which is shot with two cameras in 4K and delivered in 1080. That extra punch in angle is a painful manual process now and it gets harder every day defending Avid from the marauding Premiere fanboys.

Just as a side note, having to pay extra for a plugin to access XAVC-L is pretty ridiculous when every other cheaper NLE can read that footage with no problems.

I learnt to cut on Avid and have enjoyed the subsequent years doing the majority of my work inside the Avid ecosystem but things like this are beginning to test my resolve - (dad joke intended)

BTW - The workaround for the missing framflex is a video mixdown of original angke then and add that to the multi-clip group = painful for an hour long interview and also first of many.

Moan over - Nick

Avid Media Composer 7.0.2 Mac OS X 10.8.5 iMac 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM Promise T/bolt 4TB Raid Lacie T/bolt 6TB Raid [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 3 2018 8:15 AM In reply to

Years ago, I recall sounding an alarm bell on this forum, that we would see a surge in multicam projects, due to the popularity of low cost cameras. If we all keep asking and asking and asking, then the message will eventually be received. From what I’ve read here recently, there’s a new sheriff in town who’s heard the bells.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/184275.aspx

Avid won an Oscar for inventing this technology decades ago and now it continues to defend its achievement as other companies continue to riff on the original invention.

Yes, we deserve top-notch, modern, A-kickn multicam tools...

Nick: I did some “pre-punch outs” recently on a 4K camera shot, using Squeeze to MXF, then Grouping. Was able to overnight it...

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller