Latest post Sat, Dec 17 2016 10:20 PM by AndrewAction. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 16 2016 11:41 PM

• Simon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 26 2013
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 27
    • Points 325

5 points to make MC easier for beginners

Hi There

I just teached Avid Media Composer to two classes of film students. These five points would make it much easier to get into MC for beginners:

- Please make it possible to add filler at the end of a timeline. I know there's a number of workarounds, but it just should be easier.

- There is the option in the timeline settings to always have Sync-Locks activated. That's great. But as soon as you add a new track to your timeline, the new track has no Sync-Lock. That is very frustrating. Please change that.

- When you are in a progressive project and you link to an interlaced clip, the linked clip is correctly labeled as interlaced. As soon as you transcode it, it gets labeled "progressive" and the flag needs to be changed manually. That is a big obstacle.

- The whole way ingest works in MC is great for professionals. But for beginners it's a nightmare. Especially if they know programs like Final Cut or Premiere. I like the new source browser. But why not bring the source browser and the consolidate/transcode-window closer together? Sort of like a 2-step ingest browser?

- As a professional editor I love how MC handels the AvidMediaFolder on the root level. There is one thing about it, that is very confusing for beginners: What if I am a film student and I have multiple projects on one hard drive. I know, you can hide your AvidMediaFolder by changing it's name or putting it into another foder temporarily. But again: There should be an easier way for beginners while keeping the advantage for professionals.

I hope that helps. I love Avid Media Composer and I hope that changes like those will make it more accessible to the new generation film makers.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

iMac Retina OSX 10.12.5 Avid Media Composer 8.9.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 17 2016 10:20 PM In reply to

Re: 5 points to make MC easier for beginners

Simon:
    I know, you can hide your AvidMediaFolder by changing it's name or putting it into another folder temporarily.
    Now that MDV (a free / donate) program is  available for both Mac and PCs this is no longer necessary. You can easily manage projects media by moving (almost instant) a projects Media media to a new numbered folder inside the MXF folder.  

Not sure why Avid could not offer you the option to set a Number folder for a project in the Media creation settings. Not to mention broadening that concept by allowing the read and write to number folders in the MXF folder to have names that contain a number only sequence optionally followed by an underscore then alpha numeric characters.   For instance 1_Projectname, 123456789_Studentname18Dec2016  etc   Obviously keeping the current system as default for backward compatibility.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller