Latest post Mon, Dec 24 2018 12:27 AM by chuckkahn. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 15 2016 10:56 PM

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 339
    • Points 3,775

Unmount fixed drives

I want to backup media from Unity to an external firewire drive frequently in case the Unity goes down like it did on Saturday when there was a power outage but my clips are linking to the backup media instead of remaining linked to the Unity media.  How do I unmount these firewire drives from Avid's "view" so it doesn't link to the their media while leaving them mounted for OS X to "see" them so that I can back up to them?  Avid can filter the system drive, why not my backup drive?

Avid Media Composer 2018.11 / Mac OS Sierra / MacPro5,1 / 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz x2 / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 16 2016 1:21 AM In reply to

Re: Unmount fixed drives

If it is Avid media you could just rename the Avid MediaFiles folder to xAvid MediaFiles at all times you are not backing up or need to use the backup. Avid then will not see them until you rename back with out the x.

If linking you could use a similar process by renaming the top folder in the linked media file path. Name it back to the original filepath when you need to link to the backup media.  (Assuming you use a "Project name(?)" folder to contain all the linked media folders for that project.)

• Mon, Dec 24 2018 12:27 AM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 339
    • Points 3,775

Re: Unmount fixed drives

But if I have a lot of partitions -- block 1 dailies, block 2 dailies, renders, titles, masters, season 1 footage, etc -- that would be a lot of renaming of Avid Mediafiles folder names.  Is there a simpler way to get Avid to ignore all these external drive partitions?

Avid Media Composer 2018.11 / Mac OS Sierra / MacPro5,1 / 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz x2 / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller