Latest post Tue, Dec 13 2016 3:30 PM by Martin in Chicago. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 5 2016 5:46 PM

Relinking to Media Files

My client has provided me with numerous bins of library music and SFX to work with and a drive containing the MXF folders for these imported clips. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the music to come online. I have deleted and rebuilt the databases to no avail. I cannot reimport as I don't have the original source files to import. Does anyone have any ideas of how to relink these files? There are hundreds, if not thousands of Masterclips.

Failing a solution to the problem as it stands, is there a protocol they should be following when consolidating on their end to get me a usable collection of media? This is the second drive they have put together for me in an attempt to make this work. They are working on PCs, I'm on a Mac (specs below), the drive is formatted ExFAT. I am happy to provide any other information neccesary to help you help me.

Martin

MC 2018.11.0, OS 10.13.6, Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 5 2016 6:29 PM In reply to

Re: Relinking to Media Files

Are the folders they provided in the Avid file structure? Hard Drive>Avid MediaFiles>MXF>numbered folders?

Do the folders provided have letters along with the numbers? If so, the media databases cannot rebuild...they should only have numbers.  So "10-MUSIC" won't work...but just "10" will. 

• Mon, Dec 5 2016 6:46 PM In reply to

Yeah Shane, I initially got all excited when i discovered some of the folders were elaborately named (after the logging stations at the production company), but fixing that didn't make the problem go away and with this second drive, the structure and folder names all arrived with suitable naming (1, 2, 3, etc.) and the correct (as you showed) folder structure.

My suspicion is that the media wasn't conolidated to my drive, but rather copied at the desktop level. If the databases are rebuilt though (which they were on my computer by me), I would have thought that would still work. Another potential issue is that some of these MXF subfolders have over 5,000 files in them. I think that exceeds Avid's happy upper limit. With the first drive, as a test, I copy and deleted files from one folder to new ones, bringing the number under 5,000 for each. It didn't fix the problem.

Martin

MC 2018.11.0, OS 10.13.6, Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 6 2016 7:03 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Martin in Chicago:

the drive is formatted ExFAT.

This could be your problem

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 2:02 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:

Martin in Chicago:

Well, I mentioned it because I had considered it a possible source of the problem Tomas. But a lot of media files off that drive (those 'drives' — it is actually a 5TB drive partitioned into four parts) are linking up. By the way, none of the files on these drives are terribly large — probably nothing larger than 100 mb.

Martin

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 2:54 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Martin in Chicago:

mjolnarn:

Martin in Chicago:

Well, I mentioned it because I had considered it a possible source of the problem Tomas. But a lot of media files off that drive (those 'drives' — it is actually a 5TB drive partitioned into four parts) are linking up. By the way, none of the files on these drives are terribly large — probably nothing larger than 100 mb.

I´ve seen no problems with ordinary media files but I´ve seen problem with media stored in the Avid Mediafiles folders , are you saying that all the other media also are situated inside the Avid Mediafolders

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 3:58 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:
    I´ve seen no problems with ordinary media files but I´ve seen problem with media stored in the Avid Mediafiles folders , are you saying that all the other media also are situated inside the Avid Mediafolders

If by 'media stored in the Avid MediaFiles folders,' you mean the original audio files from which the MasterClips were imported, then no, there are only .mxf files (and the msmFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb file) in the MediaFiles folders.

I just did a quick check of a Masterclip that has successfully linked and one that hasn't. The mediafiles for the successful import were found in /Volumes/TVONE_MUSIC/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/4, with 'TVONE_MUSIC' being the name of the partition. I found the mediafiles for the offline Masterclip by searching my Mac (CMD+spacebar) for the first 10 characters of the Masterclip's name. I found it in /Volumes/TVONE_MUSIC/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/13.

So the file structure appears to be the same for files online and off.

I am so tired of this problem,

Martin

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 5:58 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 747
    • Points 8,810

Hey Martin,

If you're interested, I'd do a remote session with you over Messages and sort it out. PM me if you wanna do it. Thanks!

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 6:13 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Martin in Chicago:

I just did a quick check of a Masterclip that has successfully linked and one that hasn't. The mediafiles for the successful import were found in /Volumes/TVONE_MUSIC/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/4, with 'TVONE_MUSIC' being the name of the partition. I found the mediafiles for the offline Masterclip by searching my Mac (CMD+spacebar) for the first 10 characters of the Masterclip's name. I found it in /Volumes/TVONE_MUSIC/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/13.

Ok, inside that folder 13 please delete the databasefiles and check that they are recreated when starting up Avid .

If they are , they should , then please drag that database file inside a new bin to see if all mediafiles inside that folder will show up in that bin.

Tomas 

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 6:23 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:
    then please drag that database file inside a new bin to see if all mediafiles inside that folder will show up in that bin.

That's wild. It will just build new mediafiles or move them? I've never heard of that before. I'm going to have to wait till the end of the day as I'm thinking that will take quite a while; there are 5,007 items in there. I actually did rebuild the databases for that folder earlier today just to double check. That alone didn't help.

Thanks for the continuing suggestions Tomas.

Martin

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 6:34 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Martin in Chicago:

mjolnarn:
    then please drag that database file inside a new bin to see if all mediafiles inside that folder will show up in that bin.

That's wild. It will just build new mediafiles or move them?

Neither , what´s shown inside a bin is just masterclips pointing towards files already created .

add ...

" there are 5,007 items in there "

Have someone manually added files to that folder from someplace else outside Avid, there should be a 5000 limit if I recall correct , maybe you could manually create 2 new folders , maybe 113 and 114 , and split what´s inside folder 13 to see if this works any better when dragging the database files to separate bins

Tomas 

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 10:38 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:

Neither, what´s shown inside a bin is just masterclips pointing towards files already created.

Ah, sorry Tomas, I misread your earlier repy and thought you were telling me to drag the databases into a new folder at the desktop level. What you actually wrote makes much more sense. But with over 5,000 files in a folder, the bin would be an organizational mess.

mjolnarn:
    someone manually added files to that folder from someplace else outside Avid, there should be a 5000 limit if I recall correct

The 5,000+ files in a folder is, I think part of the problem. I got help earlier today from Isaquit0 and as soon as I can make time I'll post the solution here. Meanwhile, thanks for your help on this.

Martin

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 10:52 PM In reply to

Martin in Chicago:
    The 5,000+ files in a folder is, I think part of the problem.
    FWIW you can have many more than 5000 files in a folder.  I have one here at present with 8000+.  I am aware of this situation and it has been like this for 2 months without being an issue.  ( I will reduce / split it into 3 folders soon Wink )

• Wed, Dec 7 2016 2:26 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ok, so no probs with 5000 + files in an Avid folder then

Martin in Chicago:

But with over 5,000 files in a folder, the bin would be an organizational mess.

I didn´t say that you should work this way , I only wanted to see if they showed up in that bin, you can trash the bin later on

Tomas 

• Wed, Dec 7 2016 3:53 AM In reply to

AndrewAction:

Martin in Chicago:
    The 5,000+ files in a folder is, I think part of the problem.
    FWIW you can have many more than 5000 files in a folder.  I have one here at present with 8000+.  I am aware of this situation and it has been like this for 2 months without being an issue.  ( I will reduce / split it into 3 folders soon Wink )

Yeah, I suspect at my client's operation they are working with over 5,000 files in some of the folders and that's why I got them that way. However, I found that I couldn't successfully relink the offline clips in a bin until I got the mxf folders under 5,000.

But I really wasn't the one who figured this out. Isaquit0 (who appears earlier in this thread) got me through this mess. He got on a remote session and not only fixed my problem, but taught me a couple of things along the way and introduced me to a great app. Essentially, we (he) figured out if I got the folders under 5,000 files, I could use the relink feature (with 'Relink only to media from the current project' deselected) to bring the files back online in a given bin. Prior to resorting the folders, relink did nothing.

To simplify the task Isaac downloaded MDVx. This looks like this is going to be my new media manager and I am very excited about it. With it, I am able to reasonably quickly see what I've got where and move it to better places.

Before I stop for the night, I'd really like to throw out a big plug for Isaac Terronez. He was fast, helpful and you should hire him for all your NLE troubleshooting. I know I will be hitting him up again.

Martin

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller