Latest post Fri, Dec 2 2016 12:24 AM by usatraveler. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 3:00 PM

Editing iPhone footage

Hi everyone, 

I shot a short video on my iphone the other day and have got it into Avid (via media converter - mp4). I have edited a 2 minute video and am trying to export.  It is failing in a variety of combinations.  I did a video mixdown and that was fine but it will not let me do an audio mixdown.  It fails to export video and audio files separately as well. 

Do I need to import the footage using special settings? I cannot find a solution which is why I am reaching out to those that know the most.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks 

Monty 

(using a mac and avid 8.5)

• Fri, Dec 2 2016 12:24 AM In reply to

Re: Editing iPhone footage

You shouldn't need to use ANY kind of converter before bringing iPhone media into Avid.  Proper workflow is to simply link it, and then transcode if needed.  Many converters are of shady origins, are unnecessary, and don't necessarily work all that well anyway.

What export settings are you using?  The moment you get into the "Custom" export, you invoke the old, slow, 32-bit QuickTime process.  Typically, it's much better to just use "Same as Source," which outputs a QuickTime file using the codec specified in your project's Render setting in Media Creation - generally some form of DNxHD by default.

Or, you can do a "QuickTime Reference," which is a tiny MOV file that simply points to existing Avid media and render files, alongside a separate audio file.  You can only do a QuickTime Reference when there's no linked media in your sequence - so if you have linked media, you'd have to transcode or mixdown first.

As for why it's failing, hard to say - I'm assuming there's some kind of error message?  The details of that would be helpful in determining why it's failing.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller