Latest post Thu, Nov 17 2016 7:07 PM by luca.mg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 16 2016 5:19 PM

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,199
    • Points 14,390

how to clean/clear the metadata cache and ghost project

I have a stranded media file appearing in the Media Tool; there is no longer any corresponding master for it, and it refers to a PNG file; strangely the 'Video' column reports a strange format ('Unsupported i(PAL)') and the Project column is empty (but this file appears when I set Media Tool Display to a 'ghost' project entry - a project that has been deleted some time ago, and essentially invisible to MDV or any other way to look at projects - and while this PNG file has been used at some point in the past, it was certainly never used in that 'ghost' project). If I remove the PNG file from its location in the file system, the stranded media file disappears, but comes back as soon as I put this PNG file back in its original location (and I need it there for some other reason).

1) How do I get rid of this stranded entry ? It must be an incorrect entry in the metadata cache ('AMA Metadata Folders' ?)

2) Even when the 'stranded media file' is gone (i.e. I move the corresponding PNG file elsewhere), the Media Tool Display lists a 'ghost' project: since the project no longer exists and no entry appears for it in the Media Tool, I assume there is a broken referential integrity somewhere: how do I fix that ?

MC 2018.12.1 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (11.0.0.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 17 2016 12:39 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 65,160

Re: how to clean/clear the metadata cache and ghost project

I'd start with rebuilding the media database(s), trash them and launch MC. If the weirdness persists, perhaps the offending clip has been linked, or AMA linked, in the first place; wrangling the c:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\AMA Management\AMA Metadata Folders might fix the problem.

Hope this helps, but it's just my 2c.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Nov 17 2016 4:27 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,199
    • Points 14,390

luca.mg:
    I'd start with rebuilding the media database(s), trash them and launch MC

Done already...

luca.mg:
    wrangling the c:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\AMA Management\AMA Metadata Folders might fix the problem.

"AMA Metadata Folders" : 1160 files in 59 folders and 176 MB...hope I won't lose anything important ! Huh?

MC 2018.12.1 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (11.0.0.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 17 2016 7:07 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 65,160

I guess the AMA Metadata Folders are used by the Media Tool to keep track of linked files, just move them all to a safe location and see if the ghost stuff goes away; if that fixes the problem and You want to restore the data You'll have to spot the relevant folder and get rid of it, trashing the the "Managed AMA Media Folders.xml" file, which SHOULD be rebuilt when next running MC.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller