Latest post Fri, May 18 2018 11:43 PM by radrattus. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 1 2016 5:04 PM

G-Raid drive not properly seen by MC 8.6.x

I think this was mentioned on the Avid-L2. One of the media drives on my system is a G-Raid enclosure with two 1 TB drives striped together for performance using Apple Disk Utility. Using Media Composer 8.6.x, I can see the drive in the Source Browser and I can export to the drive as it shows up in the export dialogue. What I can’t do is consolidate or transcode or render or import as the drive does not appear (all drive filtering is off). If I try to render and click through the various error messages, in the end it will render with a message saying something like ‘using only available local drive’ and the media can be found on the 'invisible' volume.

The G-Raid does not show up in the Media Tool, but weirdly, if ‘All Drives’ is selected in the Media Tool dialogue, media on the G-Raid shows up after searching. Before you ask, I have tried the ‘Alldrives’ console command. This is very irritating as I do need to transcode to this drive.

Drive permissions are Read/Write for all. Mac OS 10.11.6. Drive is connected via Thunderbolt.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Nov 2 2016 12:15 PM In reply to

• benholden
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 13 2015
    • London, UK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 425

Re: G-Raid drive not properly seen by MC 8.6.x

Not an answer per say but an observation, as long as your spec is correct(?), OS X 10.11.6, i think should be used only with 8.6.3 and 8.6.4. Your spec says 8.6.1 which i think should be used only with OS 10.11.5.

(sorry if this is incorrect info etc!)

Avid MC v2018.7 / Mojo DX / Mac Pro 6.1 late 2013 / MacOS 10.12.6 / 64GB Memory / AMD FirePro D500 / 3GHz 8 Core Intel Xeon E5 / LG 34UC98 Ultra Wide Display... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 2 2016 1:01 PM In reply to

I need to update my profile! On 8.6.4 but seen the error with earlier versions.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Fri, Nov 4 2016 3:42 PM In reply to

OK - this seemed to be a bizarre User Profile issue. I move from room to room at my university, somethimes using a projector and with a different combination of drives and using different user profiles. Yesterday I could not render anything to my usually rock-solid USB3 drive (not the Thunderbolt drive I mentioned in the first post). Today I trashed all the user profiles and started again and everything seems good.

• Mon, Feb 12 2018 2:56 PM In reply to

I'm now on v 8.10. I see another couple of threads on similar issues. Last week I opened nearly 70 student projects for review and was able to create title media and render to my G-Raid array. Today I can't! AMA linking works to files on the drive and it looked like I could set the G-Raid as the default drive in Media Creation settings but it was greyed out. If I try to create title media, render or use the Media Tool the volume is not visible. In this case a new User Profile did not work, neither did a restart or trashing MC state or making a new project. I expect tomorrow it will all work again.

• Tue, Feb 20 2018 7:03 AM In reply to

• gorbi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 31 2014
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

We have exactly the same problem at our school (OS X 10.12.4, MC 8.8.3). It is really annoying giving class when this problem happens.

Mac OS Excended (Journaled) formated external hard drive connected by USB3 on Mac Pro. Permissions are set read/write to everyone. OS User is has no Adminstrator privileges.

It randomly sees the hard drive in media creation settings or transcode/consolidate setting. I can start a project, the drive appears. After restarting Avid or even the computer, it randomly does not see the hard drive. Now, even after severe reboots, restarts the drive does not appear. Creating a new project doesn't seem to solve problem.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB, OS X 10.12.6, AVID MC 2018.7.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 20 2018 10:41 AM In reply to

In presume a disk repair of permissions has been attempted on these G-raid drives?

Failing that rename the current Avid Mediafiles folder and create a fresh new one.

Re check Avid for access and if fixed copy the old content over.

Permissions can often go wonky on Mac drives. Seen that a lot.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, May 3 2018 9:35 AM In reply to

Hi Pat. Checked all this stuff. This is intermittent but it is biting me this week. I now have a Sierra drive and a test High Sierra test external drive to boot from. MC 2018.4 on each and my G-Raid drive comes and goes. Usually a reboot fixes it but not this morning. Weird thing is that I can see it in the Source Browser and link to it. I can import from it. I can export to it and I can open and create projects on it (so at least some bits of MC can see it). What I can't do is render, consolidate, transcode or see it in the Media Tool. I had luck yesterday by deleting MCState and Site Attributes but not today.

Just now I deleted media databases and opened a project and MC rebuilt the databases on my G-Raid but it STILL would not show up in the Media Tool. I could drag a msmMMOB.mdb file from a mediafile folder into a bin and the bin would populate with clips.

After a reboot, I tried making a new project and the drive showed up in the Media Tool. Thought I'd cracked it. Switched to my previous project and it could not be seen. Switched back to the new project I'd just made and it was gone.

This is very frustrating. I have sometimes seen the same thing with a USB3 drive.

• Thu, May 3 2018 10:20 AM In reply to

Just tried a brand-new Mac user account. Made a new Avid project and the G-Raid showed up in the Media Tool. Swapped to an older project - not visible. Swapped back to the fresh new project - gone. This is exceptionally irritating. Look - it even appears in the Hardware Tool! Avid? Avid!

• Wed, May 9 2018 9:48 PM In reply to

• radrattus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 9 2018
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

This is a long shot, but maybe...

1) when the problem presents, restart Media Composer

2) hold "option" when opening the project to make sure all previsouly opened bins remain stay closed

3) Is your drive visible again in media creation, or if you create a new bin > link to some media > consolidate/transcode

I've seen this quite a lot at work and it appears one of the bins will contain an asset that is somehow causing MC to ignore the drive.

Once you open the problem bin you'll notice that you cannot import/consolidate/transcode anymore.

The above is rather anacdotal, but I've a hunch this might point you on the right track.

• Fri, May 11 2018 10:19 AM In reply to

Thanks - I will try this as everything is somewhat random. I just checked File menu>Unmount and my drive is visible even though I can't render, consolidate, transcode or use the Media Tool. Somethimes the drive is there when I launch, then it vanishes so maybe your idea holds water. Odd that it shows up twice, though.

• Fri, May 11 2018 10:32 AM In reply to

I've replied but the post is being moderated!

• Fri, May 11 2018 1:52 PM In reply to

Well - you may have the answer (or an answer). I followed your steps and all was good as I opened the first 6 bins in the project I'd been using. Opened a 7th bin and my 2GB RAID had vanished from the Media Tool and was unavailable for consolidation or transcoding. I'll remove any odd clips and try again. Thanks. This had never occured to me.

• Fri, May 11 2018 7:19 PM In reply to

• radrattus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 9 2018
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Geeked

I've seen this with systems as old as 8.6.4 and as new as 2018.4. Only Mac, never PC.

I'm not clear if renaming the 1 (2, 3 etc) folder in Avid MediaFiles, or hostname.x when on ISIS/NEXIS, will hack around the issue by 'freezing' db's in their last working state. If you have a reproducer perhaps you can try?

I say this becuase while this appears to be media related, in a shared envrionment I realised that not all seats have the issue - only the one responsible for db's containing asset(s) attached to the problem bin <== probably needs reading twice, or rewording to make the most sense - I kinda know what I mean though...

Last little pieces of info, I noticed that MXF that has been through Pluraleye's and possibly media from Sony cameras lead to this more frequently - take that pinch of salt, just from things I've scribbled down on a note pad over time.

That's all I have right now.

I hope you find the missing pieces of the puzzle.

• Mon, May 14 2018 11:04 AM In reply to

Mostly not using shared storage here. Maybe deleting and rebuilding the databases may do it. I'll report back when I have finished doing what I am doing at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller