Latest post Tue, Oct 18 2016 1:12 PM by Phil Norris. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 5 2016 9:58 AM

Consolidate & the option 'Delete only media created with the selected clip or clips'

Hi,

Is there a documented help for this option?

edit:

Found it.

• Tue, Oct 18 2016 9:50 AM In reply to

Re: Consolidate & the option 'Delete only media created with the selected clip or clips'

Actually I think the help doesn't really explain what goes on properly with this feature in terms of consolidate workflows.

As far as I understand it, all media created from Master clips is considered as 'dynamic linked'. So if you choose to not include this option, you might delete consolidated media files if you have already trashed your original master clips. This all depending on how the consolidate was done though. It should be safe if it's checked in.

In any case you need to be careful.

If I was you, I would experiment by consolidating to another drive before you start to delete your master media without the protection it provides.

As per Avid on my avid machines. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 18 2016 1:12 PM In reply to

Re: Consolidate & the option 'Delete only media created with the selected clip or clips'

NotsoLinearEditor:

Actually I think the help doesn't really explain what goes on properly with this feature in terms of consolidate workflows.

As far as I understand it, all media created from Master clips is considered as 'dynamic linked'. So if you choose to not include this option, you might delete consolidated media files if you have already trashed your original master clips. This all depending on how the consolidate was done though. It should be safe if it's checked in.

In any case you need to be careful.

If I was you, I would experiment by consolidating to another drive before you start to delete your master media without the protection it provides.

Well that's nearly what I did actually - I had many attempts at consolidating, as I couldn't get the consolidated sequences and all the media to check in to Interplay - plus some of our files disappear when we do orphan deletes even when it does work. So I had a lot of mess to clean up in Interplay and I could see lots of consolidated assets that wouldn't delete. I tested delete without the 'delete only..' option by consolidating to a different workspace and it seemed that the consolidated files were still there after I deleted everything in Interplay with the option unchecked (the sequences were online in Media Composer). I didn't stop to think that the consolidated media might actually be deleted, and I didn't see that it was until the delete scheduler came into play that night and removed it. So the day after everything is offline and I'm still trying to figure out why this happened as I had the consolidated sequences checked in!

It would be nice if the integration of the asset manager actually told MC that clips have been sent to delete in the asset manager. MC is not really very well integrated into Interplay, because it just sees the media until Interplay deletes it - this can cause all kinds of problems if there are thousands of files from many locations to keep track of and MC is so static.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller