Latest post Wed, Sep 28 2016 5:27 PM by mjolnarn. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 27 2016 8:34 PM

Quicktime Import Issues MC 8.6.1

I have footage from a JVC GY-Hm600U shot in the Quicktime (MPEG2) setting. When I import this footage directly into Avid the video is a solid green screen. When it's linked, the playback is extremely choppy inside Avid (in QT or MPEG Streamclip, it's all completely normal) and will not transcode (there is a timeout error).  

After some digging around into the camera I discovered that JVC doesn't have their own codecs and instead uses various other ones. This wrapper seems to use XDCAM EX - should be simple to import or link now right? Well Avid isn't letting me select a different plug-in when I use the source browser. 

I am aware that I can transcode the footage prior to bringing it into Avid. This has been working. However, this camera is used for the purpose of training first year film students so any extra steps I can avoid for them is highly preferred. ideally I'm hoping someone knows how you can select your plug-in for linking the way you used to be able to with AMA linking in the older versions of Avid. 

Suggestions? 

• Tue, Sep 27 2016 9:01 PM In reply to

Re: Quicktime Import Issues MC 8.6.1

Once you link the footage, you should transcode it.

MPEG is not an edit-friendly codec, because not all information is stored in each frame. Transcoding to a DNxHD codec (or PorRes) would solve that issue, and transcoding is faster than the legacy "import" method.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Sep 27 2016 10:22 PM In reply to

When linked it won't play back correctly and it cannot be transcoded within Avid. it times out and there is an upstream error message. 

The only process i can do within Avid to bring these files in is Link and Consolidate. Not the best workflow for building good habits among college students. 

I'm familiar with transcoding but that's a bit beyond my students unfortunately. Maybe this camera will have to sit out for the newer students. 

In previous versions of Avid the other professors report that this issue has not occured. 

• Wed, Sep 28 2016 1:55 AM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York
    • Posts 711
    • Points 8,445

@DanniMDavis:

DanniMDavis:
    The only process i can do within Avid to bring these files in is Link and Consolidate. Not the best workflow for building good habits among college students. 

DanniMDavis:
    I'm familiar with transcoding but that's a bit beyond my students unfortunately.

That's exactly how Media Composer works. Link and transcode aren't just good habits, they're essential workflow.

Also, like Kevin said, MPEG-2 isn't a good acquisition codec. You could shoot in AVCHD, but that's also kind of hit or miss in Media Composer.

isaact.co | Demo ReelTwitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Postproduction and Workflow Consultant - https://www.ijterronez.com/

• Wed, Sep 28 2016 3:45 AM In reply to

Consolidate works? That's just usually a re-wrap of the file from its original container to an Avid-preferred MXF container. I wouldn't think it would for MPEG-2 (usually reserved for native codecs, which I didn't think MPEG-2 was).

But if it works, see if that makes a difference.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Sep 28 2016 6:57 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

DanniMDavis:

After some digging around into the camera I discovered that JVC doesn't have their own codecs and instead uses various other ones. This wrapper seems to use XDCAM EX - should be simple to import or link now right? Well Avid isn't letting me select a different plug-in when I use the source browser. 

Suggestions? 

From the Source Browser right clicking directly on the files might give you a scrolldown to select the Sony plugin.

Otherwise, and as mentioned, consolidate is the way to go and the Sony XDCam format is Avid native .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Sep 28 2016 8:11 AM In reply to

While in the source browser. Right click on a file to link and choose Link with .... option.

That allows Autodetect and any other plugins to be selected incuding Quicktime.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Sep 28 2016 5:04 PM In reply to

And that's what's further frustrating me. The only options when I try to select what to Link with are Autodetect and Quicktime. I have no other choices. Autodetect doesn't see it needs or can even use the XCAM plug-in and doesn't recognize it as a proper QuickTime either. There doesn't seem to be a true 'manual' way to select the plug-in you want to work with. 

• Wed, Sep 28 2016 5:09 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Seems like JVC has hijacked the Sony codec without going all the way then, as consolidate works I see no problems however, if you want to use another native Avid codec , maybe DNx , you can always transcode the already consolidated media .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Sep 28 2016 5:18 PM In reply to

Thanks. It does seem like that's the best way to proceeed thanks to JVC.  Kids have to learn about the quirks of cameras and Avid eventually, so this is probably a good lesson for them. Ha. 

• Wed, Sep 28 2016 5:27 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Look at it from the positive side, you use a native Avid codec in your cams, work with this one all the way through until it´s time to export it to final delivery and do a mixdown to DNx and replace if you need a QT ref

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller