Latest post Wed, Aug 7 2019 11:01 PM by chuckkahn. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 25 2016 12:24 AM

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 362
    • Points 3,990

Script marks on a clip with resets

How do script marks work on a clip with multiple resets within it?  In others words between "action" and "cut" the actors run through the same portion of the script, going "back to ones" instead of yelling "cut" and starting a new take?   Can script marks point to the same line in multiple points within the same clip?

Avid Media Composer 2018.11 / MacOS High Sierra / iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) / 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 7 2019 2:16 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 362
    • Points 3,990

Re: Script marks on a clip with resets

Two methods I know about:

1) Sub-clip the take then drag each sub-clip into the script.   For example, take 1-1 could be sub-clipped into

1-1.1

1-1.2

1-1.3

etc., depending on how many resets there were within the take.  (Is there a name for this phenomena of takes within takes?  I'd like to get my terminology right so that we are all on the same page.)

2) Don't sub-clip.  Highlight the section of the script covering first "sub-take" and drag take 1-1 onto that area.   Place script marks at the start and end of this first sub-take.   Drag take 1-1 onto the take 1-1 clip icon in the script.  This will create a second 1-1 line.  Place script marks at the start and end positions for this second sub-take.   Repeat until all sub-takes are accounted for.  The select all these 1-1 takes and apply ScriptSync with "Sync between first and last mark" checked.

Any other methods out there?  What method do you use?

Avid Media Composer 2018.11 / MacOS High Sierra / iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) / 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 7 2019 4:28 PM In reply to

• Aren Hansen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 15 2016
    • Toronto
    • Posts 56
    • Points 620

#2 is what I use for scripted. I prefer spanned markers for the 'restarts', which is our term for them.

Scriptsync is unbelievably buggy and undocumented. Low priority for Avid I guess. It's the main reason I need to use MC. The second FCPX implements this better than Avid, I will abandon MC. 

2018.12.7 // OS10.14.5 // iMac 2019 3.6 i9 // 72GB Ram // Vega 48 // [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 7 2019 4:56 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 362
    • Points 3,990

What is the advantage gained from the spanned markers?

Two Script bugs that bug me:

1) Group clip take numbers don't always appear in the Script take tab.

2) Find Script button doesn't always work when using method #2.   In 2016 I used method #1 (sub-clips) for Script-Based Editing and the Find Script button always did what it was supposed to -- locate the portion of the script matching the sync point of a loaded clip.   A week ago I started using method #2 and Find Script is not locating the portion but instead the entire span of the take which I find unacceptable.  I've opened a case with support an hour ago for this issue and await their response.  

• Wed, Aug 7 2019 5:11 PM In reply to

• Aren Hansen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 15 2016
    • Toronto
    • Posts 56
    • Points 620

It's not so much an advantage, more a visual preference. I'm always trying to make things more visual. Especially once you start getting tons of markers in a clip, it really helps me orient.

I worked on a show last year where the director shoots really free flowing, getting multiple takes, pickups, inserts and completely new setups all in a single clip. This required a whole other level of marking.

That's super interesting about #2. I assumed that was what always happened - that it just finds the restart. I've never seen it go to the right line. 

I believe that #1 is related to the issue that you can't assign take#s to group clips. This has been an issue for years and Avid has never given a reason as to why that I've seen.

Scriptsync has so much potential but it gets no love from Avid. Why can't you copy/paste slates between scripts? Why can't you change the slate thumbnail? It goes on and on. 

Glad to find someone else who cares.

2018.12.7 // OS10.14.5 // iMac 2019 3.6 i9 // 72GB Ram // Vega 48 // [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 7 2019 5:24 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 362
    • Points 3,990

Yes you can't assign take #'s to group clips but some group clips have take #'s in the script take tabs anyway, probably inheriting the number from the original clips.  The bug occurs when the first clip in a group has no media playing yet (eg. b-camera starts rolling before a-camera, so the first position in a group clip appears as black) and the take tab ends up empty. 

That would be helpful to be able to move slates between scripts.

• Wed, Aug 7 2019 11:01 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 362
    • Points 3,990

Avid support hasn't responded yet but I think I've figured it out -- delete the end script mark after you are done doing the ScriptSync scans in method #2.  Then Find Script goes to the correct position rather than highlighting everything.  

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller