Latest post Sun, Sep 25 2016 10:00 PM by Juris Eksts. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 21 2016 10:13 PM

• fabienne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 8 2016
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Make Black&White and Color Correct it then

I shot a little trailer un purpose in color (with canon 5D and 6D) to make it afterwards black and white. 

i did want to do in camera because it looks too flat and i was told there are more information to color correct then the black and white if i shoot in color.

does somebody know how the workflow is then to make it black and white and color correct it?

i would do it in avid itself.

or if have davinci relsove (i didnt use til now). 

thank you for your help***

fabienne 

• Thu, Sep 22 2016 12:15 PM In reply to

Re: Make Black&White and Color Correct it then

In the color correction tool in MC just reduce the saturation to 0 to remove all color. You may then want to tweak the RGB curves slightly to re-introduce some sepia tone.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Sep 22 2016 12:24 PM In reply to

• fabienne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 8 2016
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

hey pat, 

thanX for getting back. but acutually the idea is to have more possibilites in playing with the black and white than just to put the saturation down... i dont want any color (sepia) on it. 

a cracky black and white which is not so washed out, as it looks like when i just put the saturation out. 

i think i should somekind first do the color correction with the rgb and then making it black and white..?

i ve no idea really of color correction workflow.. anybody knows how? 

within avid or with davinci? 

thanX"""

fabienne 

• Thu, Sep 22 2016 3:42 PM In reply to

In the old BW days photographers would often put a red filter on the camera when taking BW pictures son they only capture one color as BW

In MC when you reduce the saturation you are left with just the luminance information the black and white information. That is what it is. You can of course then grade that BW image by making the blacks blacker and the whites whiter and moving the gamma (all easily done with the slider controls) or use the Master curve for more detailed control.

But it sounds like you want to be more creative than that. It maybe that you need to loom at first is altering the RGB values and then converting to BW. you should be able to doit allin MC.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Sep 22 2016 4:43 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,595

Not sure where you'd find this in MC's color correction tool, but, perhaps in a plugin. What you want to look for is a plugin that lets you access the RGB channels, individually, while looking at the composite B&W image.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Sun, Sep 25 2016 10:00 PM In reply to

cuervo:

Not sure where you'd find this in MC's color correction tool, but, perhaps in a plugin. What you want to look for is a plugin that lets you access the RGB channels, individually, while looking at the composite B&W image.

You'd be able to do that in MC by having your clip on V1, reducing colour saturation on V2 to zero, (and monitoring V2), then adjusting the colour values of the picture on V1, ie increasing the reds, reducing the blues etc. I would do that in the colour correction tool, but it could also be done  in the colour settings in 'image'.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller