Latest post Tue, Dec 13 2016 4:32 PM by lIO. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 19 2016 2:56 PM

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,241
    • Points 15,680
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Update RE: "Sierra" MacOS 10.12.x

UPDATE to the post below:

MacOS Sierra (10.12.1) is now supported but only with Media Composer 8.6.5. 
    View the official community post here: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/179497/835591.aspx#835591  

Oiginal post:

Aaaah, the next version of Mac OS X. So tempting. The follow-up to "El Capitan" is called "Sierra" (v10.12.0). See the Wiki [HERE]. If you value your ability to operate Media Composer...

WARNING #1: DO NOT update your OS yet. Not until Avid makes a version of MC that can run on it. No version of MC that you have running right now will operate on Sierra... Ever. Not MC8.x, MC7.x, MC6.5.x or whatever. You will need to download a new version (or patch upgrade) of Media Composer, qualified for Sierra, once Avid makes it.

WARNING #2: Sierra will be the first version since OS X Mountain Lion, released in 2012, that DOES NOT RUN on all computers that the previous version supported. An article going into some detail is [HERE].

WARNING #3: Even though you shouldn't install Sierra, you SHOULD download it for later. (Just don't install it.) Otherwise if you need the first release (10.12.0), you'll have it handy. (Thanks to the ever-awake Shane Ross for the reminder on this one!)

So... I know I sound like a broken record here, but Avid's engineers and app designers are aware of Sierra. They have been working with Apple on a beta version of it, so that they can bring everyone a next version of Media Composer that will run on it. But at this very moment while they are doing so, Apple is also making last-minute changes to Sierra for its release... and those changes may indeed affect all of the work Avid has done. They need to test their next version of MC on the SAME version available to the public, starting tomorrow.

So be smart and WAIT. Don't upgrade, and while you're at it, turn off auto-updates immediately.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Mon, Sep 19 2016 5:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Mac users: Do NOT upgrade to "Sierra" OS X 10.12

Spot on Chris!!!!!!!

Never upgrade to a new OS unless you check with Avid first!

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:02 PM In reply to

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the part of the post above that already says what I'm about to say.  Could have sworn it wasn't there before!

But remember - even if you don't UPGRADE, you should DOWNLOAD the new OS, without installing it.

Why?  Because that way, you'll have the "base version" of the OS - version "point-zero."  That'll ensure you're able to update to whatever version of the OS that you need, when you ARE ready to upgrade, by using the readily-available "combo update" that Apple has for every point-release of the OS.

Otherwise, you'll find it difficult to get the OS version that you need, because as soon as Apple releases an update, they make it difficult to get any prior version.  If the next MC version is qualified for 10.12.1, and then Apple releases 10.12.2, then you need to wait for Avid to release a new version.  But if you'd downloaded the base OS, all you'd need to do is install it, and then use the 10.12.1 combo update.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 26 2016 11:23 PM In reply to

• Dom Cobb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 21 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Soooo.... has anyone tried using Media Composer (any version) on Sierra yet? Y'know, just for fun? See what it breaks?

• Thu, Oct 27 2016 2:45 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Posts 85
    • Points 1,085

I have been using 10.12 and 10.12.1 with 8.6.3 and 8.6.4 and I haven't noticed that it breaks anything. I wouldn't recommend doing it. Also, I will say this... we had a client that updated to Sierra and I asked them if they have had any issues and they said they were surprised at how well it was working. BTW, Sierra does break isis but there is a workaround.

• Fri, Oct 28 2016 6:00 PM In reply to

• CARUANA HUGO
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 29 2015
    • PARIS, FRANCE
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Hi,

Your post doesn't sound good for me… that mean the new MacBook Pro doesn't work with Media Composer :-(

Do you have any idea about the next update ?

Best regards.

Avid MC 2018.7.1 (permanent Licence) Avid user since 1996 MacBook Pro 15-inch, 2017 (OS Sierra 10.12.6) Processor 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 16 Go... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 28 2016 6:33 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,241
    • Points 15,680
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Hi jumpcutting. (I like the name.)

Don't worry too much. I posted this over a month ago, so it should not be long now. Avid's engineers are hard at work, preparing the next version of Media Composer to be released so that it can run Mac OS Sierra.

These things take time. Adobe Premiere has just been qualified as of yesterday. Avid always takes a little longer because Avid is responsible for more products than Adobe is. Avid has hardware boxes like ISIS and Nexis to test it on, as well as MediaCentral and Interplay, Cloud and so on. Where as Adobe has no hardware boxes or massive shared storage systems that it needs to test.

Also I know many Media Composer users that have installed MC8.6.4 anyway, and they find it is working fine on Sierra. So while I would still recommend waiting, it won't be long now.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Wed, Nov 9 2016 10:10 PM In reply to

• Getch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 10 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

In your post you said there was a workaround for ISIS on OSX 10.12...how?

• Wed, Nov 9 2016 10:16 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Posts 85
    • Points 1,085

You have to change permissions on the Volumes folder in terminal.

• Thu, Nov 10 2016 7:57 PM In reply to

• ritchotte
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 30 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

can you show how to do that...I'm not great in terminal...

• Tue, Nov 15 2016 12:08 PM In reply to

• engineers
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 13 2015
    • Posts 2
    • Points 35

Did you ever get ISIS client to work in OSX 10.12 (Sierra)? If so, what version?

Thanks

• Tue, Nov 15 2016 12:30 PM In reply to

• ritchotte
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Yes, kkordisch solution of changing volume permisions through Terminal worked!  Isis Client Manger 4.7.11

Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.1

• Tue, Nov 15 2016 12:47 PM In reply to

• ritchotte
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

• Tue, Nov 15 2016 3:31 PM In reply to

• engineers
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 13 2015
    • Posts 2
    • Points 35

• Tue, Dec 6 2016 5:26 PM In reply to

• BryanC_AP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 2 2016
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Is anybody able to share the ISIS/Sierra workaround that has been discovered?

Are there any limitations or other relevant info that we should know about?

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller