Latest post Mon, Sep 19 2016 7:18 PM by sasfog. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 16 2016 7:32 PM

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Expired Support Contract

My support contract expired Agust 2015, I thought it was on an automatic renewal but apparently not and Avid were not at all cooperative, supprtive or empathetic to my plight.

So any way apparently I cannot have a more recent release than MC4.

My question is this, is it worth me downloading the latest poinrt release of 8.4 which although released after my lapsed support contract are basically just bug fixes or would I be wasting my time and can only have 8.4

I hope that is clear and look forward to your advice.

Graham

HP Z400 6 Core Intel Xeon W3680 3.33GHz 6GB memory NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB PCIe graphics card MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 16 2016 8:02 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,156
    • Points 23,150

Re: Expired Support Contract

How is 8.4 working for you?   There are not any game changing add to 8.6 there are a few tweeks .But if you need a new feature then its worth it... A ping to Marriana might help but a year out of date is a lot... 

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 19 2016 11:28 AM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply.

Ive not actually tried 8.4 yet I was on 8.2.2 and tried upgrading to the latest releaae a few months ago only to find out that I cannot as I had not paid the renewal fee as I thought Avid would automatically take it, most companies cant wait to get your money with auto renewals but not Avid and they were very unsympathetic to my plight.

What I would like to know is this 8.4 was released before my support contract expred but the point releaes (usually bug fixes) came out after. So am I allowed to have the fixes or will Avid force me to put up with the earlier version with all the bugs?

Cheers

Graham

HP Z400 6 Core Intel Xeon W3680 3.33GHz 6GB memory NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB PCIe graphics card MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 19 2016 11:34 AM In reply to

My understanding is that you are entitled to the version that was avaialble (released) while you had a support contract. Any releases after the support expires, including point releases, will not be authorised under your lapsed support.

Even if its just bug fixes, point releases are for those under a support contract.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Sep 19 2016 11:38 AM In reply to

Hi Graham,

sasfog:
    So am I allowed to have the fixes or will Avid force me to put up with the earlier version with all the bugs?

As best I can tell from the FAQ linked below, you can run any version of MC with a build/release date earlier than the expiration date of your support plan. So based on what you've written, you can run 8.4, but the point releases came out after your plan expired, so you can't run them.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/Media-Composer-Software-Born-On-Date-Licensing-FAQ

sasfog:
    I was on 8.2.2 and tried upgrading to the latest releaae a few months ago only to find out that I cannot as I had not paid the renewal fee as I thought Avid would automatically take it, most companies cant wait to get your money with auto renewals but not Avid and they were very unsympathetic to my plight.

Have you tried getting in touch with Marianna Montague? She's their customer advocate, and while I can't guarantee she'll fix it, she's the person to talk to. (marianna.montague@avid.com)

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:30 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Graham

Thanks Carl or pointing him to me....

Graham - send me an email with your situation and include your system ID, My Avid email address and the last activation ID/Version of MC you were able to use.

Marianna

marianna.montague@avid.com

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 19 2016 7:18 PM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Thanks everyone for your input, its always appreciated.

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller