Latest post Thu, Sep 15 2016 6:23 PM by jdrouette. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 15 2016 4:48 PM

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

Avid lastest version - MP4 AMA fluked royaly

Hi guys

im having this weird bug today. i recently updated to the trial of the lastest version. 

ive got a show going where the animators present new movies release with their trailers. 

i usualy get the trailers from youtube, AMA link them and place a small part (15 seconds or less) after each presentation of the movie. they look great IN the editor as shown in this picture:

https://s6.postimg.org/xjmq2jeap/prob1.png

they look good when i do a video mixdown to dnxhd145. its exactly the same (obviously)

but when i export, no matter what i uses, it goes wrong, same as source, dnxhd145, xdcam hd, anything goes wrong. like this:

https://s6.postimg.org/jegx0q59d/prob2.png

So i went back inside avid, went to reveal the file of the mixed down clip, opened it with VLC, its still messed up in VLC BUT plays well inside avid???

deleted the mixdown, went back to the main timeline with ama clips, i exported using different flavors, still have the same bug...

so conclusion, mp4 that came from youtube looks great when AMA, still looks great after mixdown (BUT ONLY INSIDE AVID) as anything that goes outside of avid is screwed up. i will also mention that the animators were filmed with a C100 and a canon XF305 and both camera looked great upon export, only the area with the mp4 clips were fked up altho they did look good inside avid.

The deadline for this project approached so i opted to transcode mp4 externally and re-apply them on my timeline but still, this is like the 60th show im doing for using the very same workflow and this bug never happened to me. i could be quick to blame the AVID as i did try to reinstall quicktime, but im very much startin to think the problem reside within avid itself since it didn happen prior to updating to the lastest version in trial mode.

Anyone have ever seen this ?  

The closer you get to the deadline, the more chances things will start to fk up royaly. True story. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 15 2016 5:17 PM In reply to

Re: Avid lastest version - MP4 AMA fluked royaly

I am confused, you updated to Trial? from your history it seems as if you trial every version, but what version do you usually run/pay for?

• Thu, Sep 15 2016 5:20 PM In reply to

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

lol i do format my pc from time to time, i own a dongle for v6 and the company i work for v8 but i always try trials on one of my space pc around here, i encountered too much bugs like the one im having right now to use lastest version in my normal work schedule. 

The closer you get to the deadline, the more chances things will start to fk up royaly. True story. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 15 2016 5:25 PM In reply to

Ok, one of the things that can happen with running trials with newer versions is AMA Plugins getting messed up, and the same with Quicktime. The required Quicktime versions changes depending on MC version.

Did you cleanup your codecs, plugins and check the QT installation?

• Thu, Sep 15 2016 5:28 PM In reply to

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

thats actualy a good idea, i dont think i bothered wiping out everything on the pc i tested 8.6.3. 

will give it a try and see what happens. 

• Thu, Sep 15 2016 5:28 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 383
    • Points 5,005

Salut Éric,

Can you point me to the YouTube video you`re using and I can try to reproduce your issue on my system? I`m currently sitting at a Windows 7 system with MC 8.6.3.

Jean-Denis

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.5 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID on macOS 10.14.3, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel Xeon W, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 15 2016 5:32 PM In reply to

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

Hi!

i used this vid in the current show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJyrOD2DXkE

thanks for trying out and reporting back the results!  

• Thu, Sep 15 2016 5:40 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 383
    • Points 5,005

Merci !

Just so I'm conforming to your same project specs, are you working at 1280 x 720 25p, same specs as the YouTube clip?

jd

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.5 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID on macOS 10.14.3, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel Xeon W, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 15 2016 5:54 PM In reply to

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

no i was working 1080/59.94.

i tried to export the AMA sequence,

i tried to mixdown and export to dnxhd145

both ways gave me the fked up colors you can see in picture 2

Altho the mixdown did look good insite avid, once outside (using either QT ref, same as source or any flavor actualy) it looked bugged.

• Thu, Sep 15 2016 6:01 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 383
    • Points 5,005

I followed your steps exactly: AMA into 1080i project, mixed down at DNxHD 145 and did a Same as Source export, and the results looked okay in VLC player. No excess pixelation and the colours looked close to the original clip.

I'm thinking something else must be causing this on your system.

jd

• Thu, Sep 15 2016 6:14 PM In reply to

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

thanks for trying out, glad to see the problem is on my side, it means i can fix it lol. 

currently re-installing all the avid suite with the AMA ive got to see if it fixed the problem. 

• Thu, Sep 15 2016 6:20 PM In reply to

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

problem fixed with full uninstall / install of Avid. 

• Thu, Sep 15 2016 6:23 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 383
    • Points 5,005

Glad to hear it!

Cheers,

jd

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller