Latest post Wed, Oct 30 2019 10:50 PM by Leo Baker. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 27 2016 9:21 AM

• Kenny Stewart
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 28 2009
    • Scotland, UK
    • Posts 14
    • Points 180

AAF issue relinking in Resolve

Hi all, when I export an AAF of my timeline to go to Resove for grading there is a problem linking to clips that I presume are spanned across two cards when shot on a Sony FS7, Intra 100. My workflow is...AMA link to the FS7 source folder, transcode to DNxHD36, edit the show, create an AAF, take the AAF and drive with the source camera files to Resolve. 

When the Avid transcodes the AMA links the spanned clips have a "U01" addition to the source camera filename (with the .new.01 extension). Does anyone know about this? Is that an indicator for a spanned clip? All the clips that have issues have the "U01" addition. 

If I take a problem transcoded clip number, say xxx477U01, and dig down to the source file in the FS7 folder I can see the file number, xxx477, then the next file is xxx488, xxx489 etc. These files in the transcoded Avid folder will read xxx477U01 then it misses xxx488 (I'm guuessing its the second part of the spanned clip now merged or linked to xxx477U01) and goes to xxx489 etc.

As the source file name is now different, ie there is no xxx488, or xxx477U01, then naturally Resove can not find a link to the source footage, the file names do not exist in the FS7 folder.

Some may say this is a Resolve issue, but as its the Avid that creates a new file name which differs from the source then I'd say its an Avid issue. 

Has anyone had experience of this problem? Is there a way around it?

Regards

Kenny Stewart

Avid MC 8.6.1 on IMac i7 32Gb

Resolve 12.5

iMac 3.9GHz i7 27" - 32Gb RAM - 4Gb NVIDIA - AJA IO XT - Caldigit TS2 - GSpeed Thuderbolt RAID - Media Composer 8.6.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 2 2016 5:17 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,805

Re: AAF issue relinking in Resolve

I ran into this issue a few months ago with some material that originated on an F5.  It took me a little while to fugure out what the issue was. It seems Media Composer recognises the join, spans it into one clip without you knowing. When the AAF travels to Resolve it does not see things the same way and you can end up exporting a a part of a timecode from a ciip name that actually doesn't exist - at least for resolve. I think from memory I had to go back, dig through the files and manually force Resolve to conform to the right clip. Not too hard once you know what's happening, it's just an unexpected problem.

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 7 2016 3:33 PM In reply to

• Kenny Stewart
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 28 2009
    • Scotland, UK
    • Posts 14
    • Points 180

Thanks Oze, its a right pain but I believe not unique to Avid going to Resolve. Our workaround was to send an AAF back from Resolve to the Avid with just the missing clips. Relink and transcode to DNxHD185, consolidate this sequence to a new drive and send the new AAF and media back to Resolve.

Not ideal but it works. 

iMac 3.9GHz i7 27" - 32Gb RAM - 4Gb NVIDIA - AJA IO XT - Caldigit TS2 - GSpeed Thuderbolt RAID - Media Composer 8.6.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 30 2019 10:50 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 423
    • Points 4,980

Hello Kenny,

i got the same issue with footage from a Sony FS7, where the EDL shows a totally different file name, I look at rthe tiemcode in of the clip, then have to manually match in Avid Media Composer.

Workflow was, Import each MXF folder from FS7 into Da Vinci Resolve 16, export as DNXHD36 into a numbered MXF folder in the Avid MediaFiles folder.

Then Open Media Composer, drop each numbered MXF folder MDB database file into a bin in Media Composer. Does anyone know an easy way to re-link in Avid using timecode of the clip, with a modifed name? I tried tapename which is corrct but still not matching. So manaully having to find the clip by tiemcode as it's a tottaly different name.

Thanks,

Leo 

Avid Media Composer 2019.7, Pro Tools 2019.6 MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM Graphics: AMD FirePro D700 OSX Mojave 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller