Latest post Thu, Aug 24 2017 7:41 PM by AndrewAction. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 24 2016 12:52 AM

XDCAM AMA-Linked Clips don't play

Opened up an old project where all the footage was AMA-linked. Everything was shot on Sony EX3s. So it's XDCAM. I've installed the latest XDCAM plugin, but for whatever reason, most of the footage doesn't play. I get the lovely "SFPlayConsumer:Execute TIMEOUT" error. And, when it does play, the picture is broken up with digital distortion.

MC 8.6.1.
    M4000 GPU

Any ideas?

Lenovo P710 Windows 10 Pro Dual Xeon E5-2643 v4 3.4GHz (6-core) 64 GB RAM NVIDIA M4000 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Aug 24 2016 2:57 AM In reply to

Re: XDCAM AMA-Linked Clips don't play

FWIW With MC 8.6.1 on a W7 SP1 computer I just opened a 2010 AMA linked EX3 project. (last opened in 2010) All media was offline.  I connected a backup drive that had a copy of the original media card on it. Opened the original MC AMA linked bin. Opened the Source Browser. Pointed it at the folder above the BPAV folder (H:\EX_CH5\Bl****2010) The offline clips changed to the thumbnails.  All these clips then played perfectly.  (Due to a boot drive failure and replacement here MC 8.6.1 the first version of MC installed on this machine.)

Your clip looks to me like it has file corruption. Can you try linking to single files and see if other clips work?

• Wed, Aug 24 2016 4:15 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,315

Please forget what I just wrote

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Aug 24 2016 5:51 PM In reply to

It's not file corruption. The files play fine in VLC. 

Also, the files aren't in their original BPAV directories, by that really shouldn't affect playback  

Lenovo P710 Windows 10 Pro Dual Xeon E5-2643 v4 3.4GHz (6-core) 64 GB RAM NVIDIA M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 24 2016 6:03 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,315

Damien LeVeck:

Also, the files aren't in their original BPAV directories, by that really shouldn't affect playback  

If the origin folder structure is manipulated you will get problems , in the same way as if someone should have manipulated your tapes back in those days.

Sonys own content browser , or whatever the name is nowadays , should be able to repair and restore to the origin structure

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Aug 24 2016 6:19 PM In reply to

Damien LeVeck:
    the files aren't in their original BPAV directories
    Could you rebuild the BPAV file structure and move your clips into it?

Alternately in the Source browser > Link Settings > Volume mounting could you check the Enable Legacy XDCAM import option. restart MC and import the files that way. Note this will Disable linked XDCAM.

Or open the clips in a Sony Browser and export them from the browser in an Avid friendly format. 
    (Sorry I have not used either of those methods in the last 5 years and so would need to dig up old notes on how to do them.) 

Edit Add: What format are your EX files in?   If just the individual MP4's from the original media Clip folders in the BPAV the here the Source browsers link using a QT AMA codec works.

If you have the Clips in folders named something like "320_1491 -01" that contain a MP4 clip, a SMIL, a PPN File, a XML document and a BIM file then you can copy any existing BPAV file. Delete all the files in the CLPR folder and replace them with your "320_1491 -01" folders and the Somny Content Browser will see them and you can Export these NLE's and import them into Avid.
    (Both the above woked here with no image degradation)

• Thu, Aug 24 2017 5:35 PM In reply to

• jdw
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 361
    • Points 4,395

Wondering if there's been any solution to this.  We have the exact same issue on MC8.6.3 with older xdcam footage.  I upped AMA to the latest version from Nablet, trashed the Sony plugins, enabled legacy xdcam in link settings all to no avail.  

And I'm on a Mac...

MC 8.6.3 OS 10.10.5 ISIS 7000 (4.7.10) [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 24 2017 7:41 PM In reply to

jdw:
    with older xdcam footage.
    Is this EX XDCAM or XDCAM HD?

I just checked the download archives here on currently installed drives and I do not have older Sony plug-ins installers for Mac. Sorry. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller