Latest post Fri, Aug 19 2016 2:49 PM by Terry Snyder. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 15 2016 10:03 PM

• rrkrdo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2010
    • Posts 38
    • Points 560

Best Avid Media Composer and MacPro configuration?

Hi

I've been working on Avid Media Composer 5 and an old MacPro ( snow leopard system) and Mojo SDI for years.  Finally my boss is telling me to get the best possible Avid Media Composer and MacPro configuration! Big Smile  The thing is: I have no idea what to get now Confused It's mid 2016 and technology and Avid software is different now , but missed everything. Now i'll have to work with HD and heavy files and i'll need new Mac work station AvidMC upgrade, Monitor and possibly dedicated Avid Hardware.(right?)

What is the best (tested and aprooved) configuration i can get? Which MacPro , Which Avid MC version , etcetc?

Many thanks!!

Ricardo

• Tue, Aug 16 2016 6:47 AM In reply to

Re: Best Avid Media Composer and MacPro configuration?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/Media-Composer-System-Requirements

I'd be a little hesitant, though, since the Mac Pro has not been updated for quite some time. It's relatively old technology at a premium price. MacRumours' Buying Guide has it on "Don't Buy". http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/mac-pro.

PC's will give you newer tech and more flexibility for the same price. And I've heard others choose iMacs over Mac Pro's. YMMV.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 19 2016 11:04 AM In reply to

• Marty McLean
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Sydney, NSW, Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Points 420

If you're going for the Mac Pro, I'd reccomend:

Processor

3.5GHz 6 core Intel Xeon E5

Memory

12GB, buy additional RAM and install yourself as it's cheaper

Storage

256GB SSD, buy additional HDD/SSD for media and project storage

Graphics

Dual AMD FirePro D300, if you have the cash go for the D500

Mouse or Trackpad

Apple Mouse

Keyboard

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

Monitor

Dell 24" P24156, if you want HD

Dell 27" P2715Q, if you want 4K

Avid

Media Composer 8.6.1 is the latest version as I'm still on 8.4.5 I can't personally recomend it, but I've heard great things from lots of people. I'm not sure about Avid hardware as I don't use any and I don't know what Avid hardware you currently have. 

I hope this helps! 

2014 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14.2 | Avid 2018.12 with PhraseFind + ScriptSync | 2.5GHz i7 | 16GB | 2GB GT 750M [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 19 2016 2:49 PM In reply to

rrkrdo:
    Which MacPro

The HP "Z" series workstations will give you much more bang for the buck than a Mac...and are more upgradable.   IMHO, the only reason to stay with a Mac is if you need to output ProRes.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller