Latest post Wed, Oct 11 2017 1:43 PM by Marianna. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 4 2016 8:15 PM

• Mark J
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 3 2016
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Weird export issue. H.264 export

Hello Avid world,

So I am having the issue of exporting my 8 minute sequence out of Avid. It is only taking about 5mins to export. My issue is why does it keep re exporting by its self. Is that somekind of bug that needs to be fixed in the next update? I am guessing the only work around is the export qt reference at this point and make it a solid file using Mpeg stream clip or something equivalent to it. 

Anyone else having this issue. I can't seem to wrap my head around this.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 12 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB [view my complete system specs]

P.V. Productions

• Thu, Aug 4 2016 8:33 PM In reply to

Re: Weird export issue. H.264 export

Welcome to the forums...

We need more information, and it's helpful if you update your profile to include your systems specs. What version of MC / OS?

In addition, what kind of media are you using in your timeline? Linked or Avid media?

If you export "Same as source" does this export loop occur?

ALSO, in your export settings, are you using multi-pass? Each time the bar completes is a single pass, so you will see that happen mutliple times.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Aug 4 2016 8:52 PM In reply to

• Mark J
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 3 2016
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

I updated all the goods. So to answer your question the export finished. I am using the most recent Avid software, nothing is linked ( thank goodness) all avid files. So what is weird is, Im not sure if this is new for Avid export but it loops like 3 times and then does the final Making movie to complete the file. Just bizzare how it takes 3 loops to export an H.264.

I have a feeling this problem will occur more then once.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 12 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB [view my complete system specs]

P.V. Productions

• Thu, Aug 4 2016 9:00 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:
    ALSO, in your export settings, are you using multi-pass? Each time the bar completes is a single pass, so you will see that happen mutliple times.

Then that is it.

Open your export setting, then Format Options, then under "Video" select Settings. In the lower-left corner of the Settings box, you probably have Best Quality (multi-pass) selected, instead of Faster Encode (single pass).

There's nothing wrong with leaving it the way you have it, but understand what is happening is supposed to happen. The encoder is analyzing the footage several times and determing the quality needed at each particular moment to keep the quality up and the file size down.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Aug 4 2016 10:20 PM In reply to

Kevin is correct - a multi-pass encode will make multiple passes.

That said - Avid is not a very efficient H.264 encoder.  Generally, once all the media in your sequence is Avid-native media, it's best to output a QuickTime Reference, and then encode your H.264 using a third-party program.  Sorenson Squeeze is an option that comes with the "subscription" (not perpetual with support) version of MC.  There's also Apple Compressor, and multiple other ones that do a good job as well (careful of shady ones though).  The added benefit of this is that once the file is out of Avid, it frees you up to continue editing while the other software does the encode.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 8.9.2 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 3 2017 7:12 PM In reply to

• Seibel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 18 2013
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 20
    • Points 200
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Exporting with multipass selected doesn't go through a status bar multiple times, it just estimates a longer time.  It will estimate a 10 min time to finish versus a 5 min estimate.  It doesn't finish and then start over again.  

I'm having this same issue.  The correct estimated time is shown and it finishes and then just loops around again and starts over again.  If you cancel it's as if you didn't finish exporting and there's nothing left at the end.  I'm able to export a Same As Source quicktime (and AAFs but that's different), but I can't do an H264 export from Avid 8.8.5.  We are on Mac OSX 12.12.6 Sierra and I'm exporting to the desktop.  The Avid media is transcoded and we are working off an ISIS.  

Anyone else figure this out?  Super annoying. 

• Wed, Oct 4 2017 9:27 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 434
    • Points 4,965
      Avid Certified User

I've never had good results getting h264 out of avid (at leats with any sequence over ~5mins). I'd always do a QTref or SaS and then convert in MPEGStreamclip/Compressor/Reolve etc.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 10 2017 11:34 PM In reply to

• Seibel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 18 2013
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 20
    • Points 200
      Avid Certified User

2017 and Avid can't handle an H264 export, which every TV show uses to send cuts out.  

• Wed, Oct 11 2017 1:43 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,582
    • Points 111,970
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Seibel

MC 8.9.1 added ---  H.264 (.mov and .mp4) support.   I assume you are on 8.9.1 or higher?     In MC 8.9.2 - a bug was fixed that in some instances, would cause transcoding long H.264 media using the Avid Generic plugin resulted in an exception error.

Are you able to update?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller