Latest post Thu, Jun 23 2016 8:54 AM by Simon. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 20 2016 10:06 AM

• Simon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 26 2013
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 27
    • Points 325

Interlaced and Progressive > Source Settings and Modify Set Format

Hi There

I'm a little confused about various settings redarding interlaced/progressive. Just three quick questions I coulnd't find an answer to:

1) When importing interlaced footage into a progressive project via AMA-Link > Transcode, I have to make sure that the AMA Plugin detects the clips as the right kind of interlaced (in the Source Settings under Linked Plugin-in). That will preserve the clips as interlaced and later force Avid to use a Motion Adapter.
    The transcoded clip's metadata "field motion" is correct (interlaced), but things like "raster dimension" still get a 1080x1080p. I guess that can be ignored, right?

Although, if I check it by Modify > Set Format, it still shows up as 1080p and that can't be changed. Can I ignore that as well?

2) In general, is the Modify > Set Format only relevant to sequences and not to clips?

3) In the column view, one can change the Field Motion as well. My guess is that this is how Avid should interpret the clip. I.E. add a motion adapter or not. Right?

I'm on a OSX 10.10.5 runnning Avid 8.5.1

Thank you guys in advance! 

iMac Retina OSX 10.12.5 Avid Media Composer 8.9.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 20 2016 11:33 AM In reply to

Re: Interlaced and Progressive > Source Settings and Modify Set Format

There is some confussion caused by the addition of AMA linking (now just called linking) as we used to have importing.

When a clip was imported it was the importm setting that determined how MC dealt with the source (P or i and upper or lower field first) the media created was setermined by the project format (i or p)

So some of the metadata inn the bin isn't changable as it relates toi what MC thought the source was.

AMA linking is different. its not importing. Ingest is a better term.

So when you AMA link (or just link i the new naming) in Source setting you can see how MC is treating it. MC will try and work out what it is but it may not be correct. here you need to set if its p or i and what, if any color adapters are required to map the levels corretcly. Once that is correct then indeed a Transcode will apply the motion adapter required. 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jun 20 2016 11:57 AM In reply to

• Simon
    • Not Ranked
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 27
    • Points 325

Thank you Pat for helping, that already clarified a lot.

One confusion remains though: I have an interlaced clip and want to bring it into a progressive project.
    _ I link it
    _ then go to source settings and check whether Avid correctly identifies it as interlaced (with the correct field order)
    _ and then transcode it to DNxHD.

The resulting clip shows up as progressiv in the "field motion" bin colomn. So did Avid deinterlace it when transcoding?
    Or is it still interlaced but Avid is confused? Is it better to change the colomn value to "interlaced" so Avid applies a Motion Adapter?

Thank you again! 

iMac Retina OSX 10.12.5 Avid Media Composer 8.9.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 21 2016 11:29 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

sim.gt:

_ I link it
    _ then go to source settings and check whether Avid correctly identifies it as interlaced (with the correct field order)
    _ and then transcode it to DNxHD.

The resulting clip shows up as progressiv in the "field motion" bin colomn. So did Avid deinterlace it when transcoding?
    Or is it still interlaced but Avid is confused? Is it better to change the colomn value to "interlaced" so Avid applies a Motion Adapter?

If you are in a progressive project all the media must end up being progressive before it can be exported. A motion adapter combines the 2 fields to form a progressive frame (all modern TV sets do this anyway as they are all progressive screens).

So yes your motion cadence will change. Remember each field is only half the height of the full progressive frame so you aren't losing resolution, but your cadence will change.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Jun 23 2016 7:55 AM In reply to

• Simon
    • Not Ranked
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 27
    • Points 325

Dear Mondo

Tank you for your help. I'm familiar with interlaced and progressive and what it means for my project. My question wasn't very clear though, there is still one key issue I'm not sure about:

After transcoding an interlaced clip into a progressive project, the "field motion" colomn identifies it as progressive. Therefore when editing this clip into a progressive timeline, there is no motion adapter applied (no "T" on the clip). That's why I asked, whether the clip has been deinterlaced while being transcoded.

OR is this a bug and I actually have to tell Avid after transcoding "this clip is interlaced" by changing the
    "field motion" back to interlaced. That way Avid acutally appies a Motion Adapter ("T") to the clip as soon as it's edited into the timeline.

I really appreciate your help!

Simon

• Thu, Jun 23 2016 8:54 AM In reply to

• Simon
    • Not Ranked
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 27
    • Points 325

Me again, I received an answer from Avid support:

They told me that one has to change the "field motion" back to interlaced after transcoding so that Avid applies a Motion Adapter ("T") to the clip as soon as it's edited into the timeline.

Thank you guys for helping!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller