Latest post Thu, Jul 4 2019 12:12 AM by Tom Cook. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 4 2016 12:31 AM

Dual Monitors on Win7

This is mostly a note for myself, in case I need to rebuild the system. Hope you find this, if you are puzzeled too!

I have 2xDell monitors and an Nvidea Quadro K4200 card.

I was having problems with dual monitor setup, because on every restart, Media Composer would only show up on the right monitor, and I'd have to drag it to the left monitor. A minor pain each day, starting off with the wrong monitor.

To get things to work:

1: Use Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution. Use the drag function to layout the monitors. Use "Identify"to number the screens to be certain. Now, make sure you correctly designate the monitor that is the "Main Display". This is where your main Project/Settings bin will be, and also the monitor that you have your Windows Start Menu, and Task Bar.

2: Open Nvidea Control Panel. Select "Set Up Multiple Displays". Once again drag icons to match the layout. Now you need to make certain that the correct monitor is designated as the "Primary Display". This is done by right-clicking on the monitor icon in the Nvidea interface, and then selecting "Make Primary". Once complete, that will be indicated with a asterisk (*) in the correct screen in the NVidea interface. A mismatch between the settings in Step 1 & Step 2 will mean it never works correctly.

3: Here's the catch. Sure you would think you were done, but if you start Avid now, the same thing happens! There is no actual change until you log off, and then back on! The PC has to read the new settings on startup, before it actually straightens things out.

This may work on other video cards. Your milage may vary!

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 4:27 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,895
    • Points 20,950
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Dual Monitors on Win7

Ron Inglis:

3: Here's the catch. Sure you would think you were done, but if you start Avid now, the same thing happens! There is no actual change until you log off, and then back on! The PC has to read the new settings on startup, before it actually straightens things out.

This may work on other video cards. Your milage may vary!

Nice tip Ron Yes

Regards,

Ralph

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 3 2019 7:44 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 195
    • Points 2,420

Been struggling with the same issue after getting a new primary monitor, so was excited to try your solution. But no luck for me...

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 3 2019 10:55 PM In reply to

Hi Tom...

Not sure how I managed to post this to the the "AVX Forum"...

Microsoft support for Win 7 will end on January 14, 2020. After that no security updates will happen. You may actually be wiser to switch your OS than putz around with this. On the other-hand, even under a different OS, the Avid monitor approach could still be counter-intuitive.

Just to be clear, this is specifically for Windows 7 and NVidea Manager v131.36. I make no claims this will work with any other combo, or really any claims at all. It works for me with Dell U2410 and Dell U3011, on a Dell Precision Tower 7910. Your milage may vary considerably.

Going back to Media Composer v3.1 on Mac in the 90’s, Avid was always a bit odd in dealing with multiple monitors, their numbering, and the actual physical layout of the screens in your suite. I believe the "Edit Monitor" must be number 1, to get priority refreshing, when playing video. In dual monitor, if you dragged part of the Edit window so that it spaned both monitors, even by a pixel, it used to really bugger stuff up.

In Step 1, I meant the OS Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution.

You get there by right-clicking the desktop.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161246631@N05/48192083676/in/dateposted-public/

Mine is physically setup with Monitor 1 on the right, and Monitor 2 on the left. I think that’s because the Edit monitor needs to be Monitor 1, as it gets some sort of priority to give smooth playback.

My screen resolution looks like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161246631@N05/48192127237/in/dateposted-public/

Notice that the monitor numbers/layout are physically reversed. When you have it configured like this, I believe the “Windows Splash Screen” (while booting) appears on the right hand monitor.

In Step 2, you then switch to Nvidea Control Panel, which is also available through right-click on the desktop. There you are basically telling NVidea to reverse the instructions that the OS put forward, and rearrange where the stuff is placed. Mine looks like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161246631@N05/48192127282/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161246631@N05/48192083636/in/dateposted-public/

When everything is right, the OS Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution should give you this result when you press the “Identify” button:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161246631@N05/48192168322/in/dateposted-public/

Finally reading over what I wrote back then, in Step 3, you log-off, and then back on, rather than rebooting. I believe that’s the thing that made no sense at the time. It was as if the process of logging off locked the changes, while rebooting simply cancelled out the changes. I'm guessing that it’s like when you change resolutions to something your monitor doesn’t support, and then you cannot see the “OK” question, so after 20 seconds it automatically reverts.

If still no joy, try swapping the monitor cables around on your display adaptor, and then repeat the whole sequence.

As I said, if there is a mismatch between the OS and Nvidea settings, it’s an ugly circle.

By "New Primary" monitor, I'm guessing bigger... and you want to use that for more bins? I seem to recall that Avid may not like having different resolutions going on between the pair. I currently have both of mine set to 1920x1200, because that's the native resolution of the inferior monitor in the pair.

Best of luck!

Ron

• Wed, Jul 3 2019 10:55 PM In reply to

Hi Tom...

Not sure how I managed to post this to the the "AVX Forum"...

Microsoft support for Win 7 will end on January 14, 2020. After that no security updates will happen. You may actually be wiser to switch your OS than putz around with this. On the other-hand, even under a different OS, the Avid monitor approach could still be counter-intuitive.

Just to be clear, this is specifically for Windows 7 and NVidea Manager v131.36. I make no claims this will work with any other combo, or really any claims at all. It works for me with Dell U2410 and Dell U3011, on a Dell Precision Tower 7910. Your milage may vary considerably.

Going back to Media Composer v3.1 on Mac in the 90’s, Avid was always a bit odd in dealing with multiple monitors, their numbering, and the actual physical layout of the screens in your suite. I believe the "Edit Monitor" must be number 1, to get priority refreshing, when playing video. In dual monitor, if you dragged part of the Edit window so that it spaned both monitors, even by a pixel, it used to really bugger stuff up.

In Step 1, I meant the OS Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution.

You get there by right-clicking the desktop.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161246631@N05/48192083676/in/dateposted-public/

Mine is physically setup with Monitor 1 on the right, and Monitor 2 on the left. I think that’s because the Edit monitor needs to be Monitor 1, as it gets some sort of priority to give smooth playback.

My screen resolution looks like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161246631@N05/48192127237/in/dateposted-public/

Notice that the monitor numbers/layout are physically reversed. When you have it configured like this, I believe the “Windows Splash Screen” (while booting) appears on the right hand monitor.

In Step 2, you then switch to Nvidea Control Panel, which is also available through right-click on the desktop. There you are basically telling NVidea to reverse the instructions that the OS put forward, and rearrange where the stuff is placed. Mine looks like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161246631@N05/48192127282/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161246631@N05/48192083636/in/dateposted-public/

When everything is right, the OS Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution should give you this result when you press the “Identify” button:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161246631@N05/48192168322/in/dateposted-public/

Finally reading over what I wrote back then, in Step 3, you log-off, and then back on, rather than rebooting. I believe that’s the thing that made no sense at the time. It was as if the process of logging off locked the changes, while rebooting simply cancelled out the changes. I'm guessing that it’s like when you change resolutions to something your monitor doesn’t support, and then you cannot see the “OK” question, so after 20 seconds it automatically reverts.

If still no joy, try swapping the monitor cables around on your display adaptor, and then repeat the whole sequence.

As I said, if there is a mismatch between the OS and Nvidea settings, it’s an ugly circle.

By "New Primary" monitor, I'm guessing bigger... and you want to use that for more bins? I seem to recall that Avid may not like having different resolutions going on between the pair. I currently have both of mine set to 1920x1200, because that's the native resolution of the inferior monitor in the pair.

Best of luck!

Ron

• Thu, Jul 4 2019 12:12 AM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 195
    • Points 2,420

Ron:

Thanks for the loads of info. Gives me a night of experimentation,.

Bummer about Win 7. I've found it tremendously stable and hate the payout of W10 (in fact I'm rwally running Win8 and have a shell emulating W7)...

Anyway, thanks again for the tips. Will check back and let you/everyone know what happens.

TC

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller