Latest post Tue, Jun 7 2016 4:27 PM by RalphC. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 4 2016 12:31 AM

Dual Monitors on Win7

This is mostly a note for myself, in case I need to rebuild the system. Hope you find this, if you are puzzeled too!

I have 2xDell monitors and an Nvidea Quadro K4200 card.

I was having problems with dual monitor setup, because on every restart, Media Composer would only show up on the right monitor, and I'd have to drag it to the left monitor. A minor pain each day, starting off with the wrong monitor.

To get things to work:

1: Use Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution. Use the drag function to layout the monitors. Use "Identify"to number the screens to be certain. Now, make sure you correctly designate the monitor that is the "Main Display". This is where your main Project/Settings bin will be, and also the monitor that you have your Windows Start Menu, and Task Bar.

2: Open Nvidea Control Panel. Select "Set Up Multiple Displays". Once again drag icons to match the layout. Now you need to make certain that the correct monitor is designated as the "Primary Display". This is done by right-clicking on the monitor icon in the Nvidea interface, and then selecting "Make Primary". Once complete, that will be indicated with a asterisk (*) in the correct screen in the NVidea interface. A mismatch between the settings in Step 1 & Step 2 will mean it never works correctly.

3: Here's the catch. Sure you would think you were done, but if you start Avid now, the same thing happens! There is no actual change until you log off, and then back on! The PC has to read the new settings on startup, before it actually straightens things out.

This may work on other video cards. Your milage may vary!

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 4:27 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 13,080
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Dual Monitors on Win7

Ron Inglis:

3: Here's the catch. Sure you would think you were done, but if you start Avid now, the same thing happens! There is no actual change until you log off, and then back on! The PC has to read the new settings on startup, before it actually straightens things out.

This may work on other video cards. Your milage may vary!

Nice tip Ron Yes

Regards,

Ralph

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller