Latest post Sat, Mar 12 2016 11:38 AM by SchnittKontor_HH. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 8 2016 9:55 PM

• Daniel O
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 12 2010
    • Posts 20
    • Points 245

Artist IO - Audio Monitoring Editor and Client set of speakers ??

Hey,

What would be the most straight forward way to run 2x sets of stero monitoring out of an Artist IO ?

I want a stero output for Audio monitors on Edit desk (Left, Right & sub)

I also want another set of larger audio monitors a client review set (Left, Right & share the existing sub)

Is this easily doable ?

Would probably have this mixing board :

Mackie 1604VLZ4 16-Channel 4-Bus Compact Mixer

Would like to have just the one sub shared between both sets of audio monitors, and would like to be able to control output level to each set via the mixer, so only one set of speakers would be active at once.

Any advice greatly apreciated,

Thanks,

Dan

• Tue, Mar 8 2016 10:19 PM In reply to

Re: Artist IO - Audio Monitoring Editor and Client set of speakers ??

Do the speakers have 2.1 inputs, meaning L, R and dedicated LFE?

Others can correct me, but Avid software and Artist IO do not support dedicated LFE output.

Usually for 2.1 output, you send full range stereo to the subwoofer (or receiver) and let that filter LFE from the L/R channel.

For your original question, the 1604 has MAIN OUTS, CONTROL ROOM and SUB OUTS (not to be confused for subwoofer) that can be utilized to feed speakers. It all depends on your needs. So it is possible to have 3 sets of stereo speakers with separate volume control using the 1604.

Can you elaborate about sharing the sub. Are you using 2 sets of speakers that are exactly the same? Which ones? How do you plan to wire it?

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 8 2016 10:32 PM In reply to

• Daniel O
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 12 2010
    • Posts 20
    • Points 245

Hey,

Sub would be something like this :

Genelec 7050B 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/386527-REG/Genelec_7050B_7050B_8_Active.html

Edit desk would have a smaller set of Genelecs, and Client monitor would have a slightly larger set of Genelecs.

If I fed stero out from ARTIST IO into the LFE (SUB) Could I cheat and call the client set "REAR left and right" and the edit desk "Front left and right"  ?

Then feed all into the mixer, Would also like a master volume control like an SPL volume 8 that can sit on desk under the monitors.

Does this sound workable ?

Thanks,

Dan

• Tue, Mar 8 2016 10:48 PM In reply to

Since you (will) have a mixer (the 1604) with several outputs, I would route two stereo sets of outputs (say bus 1/2 and bus 3/4) to the Genelec sub (which has 5 inputs plus an LFE input), indeed "cheating" one pair of them as L Rear and R Rear, and the other as Front L and Front R.

* You will need to set bass roll-off for the main channel outs to avoid frequency overlapping <- this is why Genelec only recommends this sub be used with really small desktop speakers. Other Genelec subs have a proper bass management system built in, but not the 7050, which only lets you set roll-offs on the outputs.

But say you have your DNxIO L&R out coming in on two channel strips on the 1604, you can assign these to either bus 1/2 (speakers on your edit desk) or bus 3/4 (client speakers), or both. In either case the signal goes via the Genelec bass management.

I don't think you would need an SPL controller, since the Mackie would give you master faders for the buses. I would suggest you use those to control monitor level. Ideally you would then calibrate the speaker inputs so that the 0-position on the faders would correspond with a reference level.

The biggest challenge IMHO will be finding the right spot for the sub, as it will likely be less optimal for one of the two monitoring setups. Placing a sub properly is not easy at all, let alone finding a place that supports two different listening positions in a single room.

A lesser problem, but still a bit tricky is that you want to use larger speakers for one position, and smaller ones for the other position. This likely requires you need to compromise, as they may require a different cross-over frequency.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 8 2016 11:00 PM In reply to

Edit: Job answered it nicely.

Let the subwoofer do the LFE management. Subwoofer calibration will be difficult using 2 different kind of speakers in 2 different locations.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 12 2016 11:38 AM In reply to

• SchnittKontor_HH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2006
    • Europe - Germany - Hamburg
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,040

Hi,

this this is a nice new Genelec/SAM setup that fulfil your needs.

The subwoofer (7350) has two Inputs (Analog and AES EBU) and you can save different measurements from each monitor position.

http://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/sam-compact-studio-monitors

http://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/sam-studio-subwoofers/7350a-sam-studio-subwoofer

The best monitor I have ever bought!! GeekedYes

regards

Daniel

MC /w. Sym 2018.12.2 | AVID Artist | DNxIO | HP Z820 GEN 2, 2x Xeon E5-2695W v2 12-Core 2.4 GHz, 64GB RAM, GPU: 2x RTX 2080 TI, HP Thunderbolt 2 | Win... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller