Latest post Thu, Mar 3 2016 5:08 PM by WYTCAT. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 26 2016 2:59 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 568
    • Points 6,500

Re: Serious Media Tool issue - Media Tool Bin won't populate

Martin Jefferson:

With some help from Matt Mullen, I was able to zero in on the cause of the disappearing media tool - every 10th of a second I was getting a MSMRescan (visible in console). Through a process of trial and error I discovered that I had media in my bg folder that had non-standard characters - a ( and a ! - and by moving those files into the main 1 folder and forcing a database rebuild the issue went away. Media Tool working normally. Hope that helps someone else, and I wanted to publicly apologize to Matt for questioning the brilliance of Facilis Terablock!!

Martin

No need to apologize!  Always here to help and I appreciate the kind words.  Glad you got things working!

-Matt

-Matt M.

• Sat, Feb 27 2016 4:10 AM In reply to

I tried moving all the files from the _bg1 folder and rebuilding the database – but it didn't make any difference.  The info comes into Media Tool – and then momentarily disappears.

I'm hoping Marianna already has escalated this issue..?

Best, JIM.

MC 2018.10 Sierra 10.13.4 Westmere Octo 3.46 Mhz 48 GB RAM EVGA GTX 970 FTW GPU SATA RAID array BM DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K [view my complete system specs]

JAMES BLOKLAND

• Sat, Feb 27 2016 4:24 PM In reply to

Jim

Since Frank's issue was resolved, I have another case going for you.  Case # 02909112

Support will rech out but if you have your complete spec's like OS etc that would help them out.

Marianna

MC 2018.10 Sierra 10.13.4 Westmere Octo 3.46 Mhz 48 GB RAM EVGA GTX 970 FTW GPU SATA RAID array BM DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K [view my complete system specs]

JAMES BLOKLAND

• Sat, Feb 27 2016 6:37 PM In reply to

Thanks so much, Marianna! 

specs: OSX 10.11.3, MC8.5

Hardware: 3.46 Octo core Power Mac tower, 28GB RAM, 5870 graphics card, 256 GB Accelsior PCI SSD boot drive, internal HDs

project is DNxHD36, all transcoded. 

Best, JIM

JAMES BLOKLAND

• Sun, Feb 28 2016 12:45 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I added that to the case Jim so support has it now.

thanks 

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Mar 1 2016 5:32 PM In reply to

Updating this - it seems my initial euphoria at fixing it was short-lived. Just moving files out of bg1 is not enough. You have to then delete the empty bg1 folder. That stopped the MSMRescan and returns the media tool to normal. At least, for now! I will try doing anpther background transcode and see if it starts up again.

2013 Mac Pro: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon ES 32GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM OSX 10.11.3 MOJO DX MC8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 1 2016 9:50 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Martin

Keep me posted please...

Mariana

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Mar 1 2016 10:00 PM In reply to

Hello all:

I just deleted the _bg1 folder, as per Martin's – and, for the first time since switching to El Cap/MC8.5 – the Media Tool seems to be working as you'd expect.

Yay!  I'll look forward to Martin's report re what happens when transcoding more AMA files, and the re-creation of the _bg1 folder.

Best, JIM.

JAMES BLOKLAND

• Tue, Mar 1 2016 10:23 PM In reply to

Got tied up with other stuff, but just did a test. The background transfer did not even create any media, an unknown error occurred - don't you just love those! - but it did create a bg folder on the media drive and sure enough, the MSMRescan started up again and the media tool populates then vanishes. As soon as I delete the bg folder it returns to normal. As a further test, I mounted an ISIS workspace and did a bg transcode to that - not only did the transcode not fail, it also did not cause the MSMRescan and Media Tool shenanigans. Seems like this needs more testing and investigation!

2013 Mac Pro: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon ES 32GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM OSX 10.11.3 MOJO DX MC8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 1 2016 10:29 PM In reply to

So, Martin...what kind of drive/how is it attached - the one you're having issues with?

And this problem doesn't exist when you use ISIS shared storage?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Mar 3 2016 1:28 PM In reply to

Did not have time for testing yesterday. Main storage is Terrablock connected vis ethernet, on TB Manager 6.5.5. The bg folder thing is completely recreatable (if that is a word!). BG transcodes fail, but as soon as the bg folder is created, off it goes with the MSM Rescan. Mounted an ISIS volume and the bg transcode works and does not trigger the problem. I also tested on a PC system also on MC 8.5 and everything worked fine to both TB and ISIS. 

• Thu, Mar 3 2016 5:08 PM In reply to

• WYTCAT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 7 2009
    • Germany
    • Posts 16
    • Points 230

I encountered the same problems as Martin when I transcoded files in the background: As soon as there is a "_bg" folder on the Mediadrive(s) MediaComposer starts an "MSMRescan()" every second or so. You can observe that in the Console window. Then it is not possible to use the Media Tool - the bin populates but immediately the files disappear (for MC does it's scan). It is not the matter of shared or local storage though. I tested with an ethernet-connected ISIS5000 (direct Gigabit Connection) and direct SAS-connected RAID with same results. When I deleted the "_bg" folder, AVID stops the MSMRescan and you can use the Media Tool as normal. Seems MC doesn't tidy up the background folders properly? Tested on different systems (see specs) on Mac OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan and AVID MC 8.5.0. Hope that helps.

ISIS 5000 • 2x MC 8.7.0, DNxIO, iMac Retina 5K 27" 4.0 Ghz i7 Quad core Late 2015, 32GB, MX395X, OS X 10.11.6 •MC 8.7.0, NitrisDX, MacPro • MC 8.7... [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller