Latest post Thu, Mar 3 2016 5:08 PM by WYTCAT. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 22 2016 5:38 PM

Serious Media Tool issue - Media Tool Bin won't populate

Since upgrading to MC version 8.5, the media tool will not populate the bin with the items I'm trying to locate.  it does not matter what I choose, Master clips, precomputes, media files, anything.  Nothing shows up.  Doesn't matter if I choose all projects, current project, all drives etc...nothing shows up.

I've recently upgraded from Mac OS X 10.10.3 to 10.10.5 and then upgraded from MC 8.3 to 8.5.  Any ideas why this happening?  I fear I need to go backwards or do a complete wipe and clean install of the operating system and Media composer.

I'm running Avid on a late 2012 iMac, 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB 1600 MHz DDR3 ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB graphics card

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 5:44 PM In reply to

Re: Serious Media Tool issue - Media Tool Bin won't populate

Ok first off have you created a new user?

Then a clean new project.

Rename your 1 in the MXF media folder to a different number like 11

Then in MC import some media. Then test media tool,

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 7:10 PM In reply to

Does it populate for a moment and then disappear?  Or do no results ever appear?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 8:37 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,022
    • Points 215,755
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Frank

I created a case for this - 02905372 and a support peep will reach out.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 10:41 PM In reply to

No.  It never populates.

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 10:42 PM In reply to

Marianna,

Thank you.

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 10:44 PM In reply to

Hi Pat,

I will give you suggesions a try and we'll see what happens.  Sure do not like the idea of creating a new user since my current user profile is highly customed to how I like to work.

• Tue, Feb 23 2016 3:17 PM In reply to

You can create a new user, then import settings from another user into yours.

First, test to see if a new user solves the problem...if not, then it's not worth rebuilding your settings.

But if it does, in the new user, and with the Settings tab active, select File > Open Settings File and select your old version. You'll see a window pop up with all of your settings, which you can drag back over to the current settings window and replace as needed.

I might recommend NOT bringing over settings related to your issue. For example, a custom bin view might be related to the media tool issue. Or at least don't overwrite defaults until you know that setting isn't the culprit.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Feb 23 2016 4:34 PM In reply to

I have also been having this issue, though it is not restricted to 8.5 as I have some users still on 8.4.2. Our line of enquiry on this was that the issue seemed to start when we upgraded Facilis to 6.5.5. That has yet to be resoved by our IT team, but thought it might be worth exploring for the OP. For the record, on my system the media tool popuates and then disappears. I did just create a new user and it did not solve the issue.

Martin

2013 Mac Pro: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon ES 32GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM OSX 10.11.3 MOJO DX MC8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 23 2016 4:37 PM In reply to

I asked that question earlier because I too had seen that in earlier beta testing of 8.4.x I think, but it seemed to be fixed and I haven't seen the issue in some time.

We are running Facilis 6.1.2, so I don't believe it is exclusive to 6.5. It could have something to do with shared storage, however.

-- Kevin

• Tue, Feb 23 2016 5:07 PM In reply to

Yes I had seen it before (can't remember the version) but then it went away - the only thing that changed was Facilis, but although it happens on several systems here it is not on all of them and we all share the same storage. I believe Facilis suggested removing all traces of previosu versions and reinstalling 6.5.5 - that worked on one system but then the issue returned, and when I tried it on mine it made no difference at all.

2013 Mac Pro: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon ES 32GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM OSX 10.11.3 MOJO DX MC8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 23 2016 8:36 PM In reply to

I'm not using shared storage.  I'm working off of a thunderbot drive array connected directly to my workstation.  So, no Facilis involved at all I'm not sure what Facilis is anyway.)

• Tue, Feb 23 2016 9:34 PM In reply to

Kevin,

Thanks for the tips on importing settings another user.  However, the New User I created did not solve the problem.

Thanks,

Frank

• Tue, Feb 23 2016 9:36 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 568
    • Points 6,500

I've seen a media database rebuild resolve issues like this before.  Though that was quite some years ago if I remember correctly. 

Might be worth a shot.

-Matt M.

• Fri, Feb 26 2016 2:18 PM In reply to

With some help from Matt Mullen, I was able to zero in on the cause of the disappearing media tool - every 10th of a second I was getting a MSMRescan (visible in console). Through a process of trial and error I discovered that I had media in my bg folder that had non-standard characters - a ( and a ! - and by moving those files into the main 1 folder and forcing a database rebuild the issue went away. Media Tool working normally. Hope that helps someone else, and I wanted to publicly apologize to Matt for questioning the brilliance of Facilis Terablock!!

Martin

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller