Latest post Thu, Apr 12 2018 3:12 PM by dmehalik. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 10 2016 9:50 AM

• dstrct
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 24 2015
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Exporting AAF with consolidated media - media won't link/becomes offline

Hi

I've delivered two AAF with consolidated media (only video, XDCAM) to our graders before with no problems. Now, some other guys, working in DaVinci, got two new AAFs using the same workflow and they get about half of all media offline.

When I export an AAF now, i get the .exported sequence in my bin. That contains nothing but offline media now. I've tried exporting media to a folder, I've tried an empty media drive. I get no error messages when exporting. Is the .exported supposed to be online to me? I've also tried importing the exported AAF in another project and everything is offline.

The grader who got the AAF complained that some of the files have ".new01" added, but half of the files we work in have that since I transcoded the AMA linked media in to our ISIS. Can it be a problem with the ".new01" not linking to the source file? Surely there's a way to export files with .new01 added since it worked fine the first couple of times?

The master sequence I exported works fine for me. Nothing offline.

I'm on a mac, in media composer, project and media on our ISIS.

Is the problem on my end? Right now I'm trying an export with "copy all media" instead of "consolidate" but that takes forever and will be huge.

- What are the options to get that media online to these fellas?

- Is there some cache or settings I can reset to see if there's a problem in my project/settings/avid?

I hope you have something to go on. Can add more info! Really grateful for any help!

[update] When I open an .exported sequence I get the following error message:

"EXCEPTION: MXF_DIDMAPPER::ReadRange - Index Table Set Key not found at expected offset"

• Wed, Feb 10 2016 3:44 PM In reply to

Re: Exporting AAF with consolidated media - media won't link/becomes offline

Do you need to export your AFF with media?

Every day we send AAFs to Resolve but only link to the media, then give our colorist the original files.  Usually better for them to work with camera originals than Avid media, and we never have issues.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 2:02 AM In reply to

• dmehalik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 10 2015
    • Posts 20
    • Points 240

Hi, dstrct----

Did you ever figure out a way for AAFs to correctly read your ".new01" media?  Here I am 2 years later and I'm currently trying to create over 50 AAF's for stock footage sequences I've collected in a master avid project over the years and it sounds like I'm having the same issue you were having.  When I try to open the AAFs in Resolve or Premiere and link back to the original source files it just doesn't work.  Resolve actually decides to replace it with random footage.  If you found a solution, I'd be very grateful to hear about it.  Thanks!

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 3:51 AM In reply to

If your media is already consolidated why not use the "embedded" media option.  That always worked for me as an AAF workflow for  MC to Pro Tools transfers.  The AAF's can be huge (but no bigger than a linked AAF and folder with all the consolidated footage.)   
    I have not tried using an embedded AAF with Resolve so cannot guarantee how Resolve will react.

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 12:59 PM In reply to

• dmehalik
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 240

Hi, thanks for takiing the time to respond.  Well, that's not really a viable option for what I'm trying to do.  Basically, I've got a huge Avid project with stock footage textures and sound effects I've accumulated over many years.  When I've finished up a job, I'd consolidate any footage I think might be useful for future and gathered it into an Avid project.  So I have over 100 sequences between sound effects and different categories of stock footage.  After 18 years of working in Avid, I've gone freelance and found that a lot of work requires working in Premiere.  So I wanted to basically "convert" this Avid stock project to Premiere by exporting AAF's of each sequence and then linking back to the ProRes masters. But all the "new.01" clips are no longer linked to the masters

You might say, why not just link to the Avid media?  Well, 2 reasons.  1, the advantage of Premiere is that I can work with the ProRes master footage, and even link it into After Effects so when it comes time to finish all the links to the original media will be there.  Also, some of the material I have in the project is 4k --- and linking back to the master gives me the flexibility to resize material 200% without quality loss. 

Even if I'm not migrating the project to another platform, I'm now realizing what a mess my AAF's must be when Fame artists get the material for conform... they must have to link all "new01" consolidated media manually.

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 1:09 PM In reply to

My first step would be to take a suspect AAF to a fresh MC and ingest it into that.

I suspect you will find that Avid will take its own AAF just fine.

In which case you may have an AAF being made by Avid that other systems aren't handling properly.

In which case its a different problem. From personal experience I've always had issues with Avid AAFs to premiere although oftne the solution is to go via resolve but that doesn't seem to work for you.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 1:28 PM In reply to

• dmehalik
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 240

Pat Horridge:

My first step would be to take a suspect AAF to a fresh MC and ingest it into that.

I suspect you will find that Avid will take its own AAF just fine.

In which case you may have an AAF being made by Avid that other systems aren't handling properly.

In which case its a different problem. From personal experience I've always had issues with Avid AAFs to premiere although oftne the solution is to go via resolve but that doesn't seem to work for you.

Hi, Pat.  Thanks for your suggestion.  So are you saying, import the AAF with the consolidated media into a new Avid project and then re-link to the ProRes media in Avid?  Then export a new AAF for Resolve?

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 1:36 PM In reply to

You would have to be on an Avid thats never seen or accessed that media to be sure the AAF is good.

But if the AAF imported and all the media was there then you know the media is in the AAF and the AAF sequence does point to it in Avid land.

Thats the first step. If that test reproduces a broken media offline sequence then you know there was an issue in the original export.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 1:45 PM In reply to

• dmehalik
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 240

Pat Horridge:

You would have to be on an Avid thats never seen or accessed that media to be sure the AAF is good.

But if the AAF imported and all the media was there then you know the media is in the AAF and the AAF sequence does point to it in Avid land.

Thats the first step. If that test reproduces a broken media offline sequence then you know there was an issue in the original export.

Hi, Pat thanks again for your time.  So I opened the AAF in a new Avid project no problem... the issue is not getting the Avid to see it... the issue is that the Avid is pointing to "new.01" media... which seems to have lost it's link to the original ProResQuicktime files.  I'm guessing that the metadata becomes "broken" once "new.01" is added into the mix?

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 1:57 PM In reply to

• dmehalik
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 240

Ok, but here's the part I don't understand.  Let's say the AAF opens on a new machine in Avid with no problem... It's still pointing to MXF media.  How do I get it to point to the Original files so that I might "conform" it?

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 2:49 PM In reply to

You need to AMA link the original media into a fresh new bin. Hie or disable the regular Avid media files.

Then on the sequence icon in its bin choose relink and then relinks to selected open bins (with just the newly relinked sources as the only other bin open)

That shoudl work.

-

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 3:12 PM In reply to

• dmehalik
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 240

Pat Horridge:

You need to AMA link the original media into a fresh new bin. Hie or disable the regular Avid media files.

Then on the sequence icon in its bin choose relink and then relinks to selected open bins (with just the newly relinked sources as the only other bin open)

That shoudl work.

I will give this a try.  Thanks again for your time.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller