Latest post Sat, Mar 12 2016 4:56 PM by usatraveler. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 8 2016 5:56 PM

Canon MXF workflow

I am bring footage (1920X1080, 50 Mbps) from a Canon XF105 to MC 6.5. I don't want it to be AMA linked I want the files on local storage. So, to import the footage to MC is there any differance or advantage to AMA link them and then transcode vs using a third party converter to convert from MXF to DNxHD and then importing that. Or even a better way? Quality is more important than speed of import.
    Thanks, Monique

Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Feb 8 2016 7:05 PM In reply to

Re: Canon MXF workflow

No need to use a third-party converter at all.  This can all be done very quickly in Avid, though the best-quality way (which also happens to be the fastest way) uses AMA... I know you say you don't want that, but hear me out.  Remember, using AMA to get started doesn't mean that you're actually EDITING with the AMA clips.  It's just a way to get the process started.

The best part here is the Canon XF codec is essentially XDCamHD, which is natively supported by Avid.  So, the process doesn't require any transcoding, you can consolidate instead - it's very fast.

What I do with Canon XF media is:

-Install the Canon XF AMA plugin (NOT the "MXF plugin" - that's different)
    -Link to your raw media (one level ABOVE the "CONTENTS" folder).  All the card's clips appear in your bin.
    -Select all of them (or just the ones you want - up to you).  CONSOLIDATE, to your local storage.  When it's done, you'll have two sets of clips - linked ones, and Avid-consolidated ones.  You can just go and bury the linked ones in a separate bin and keep them there.  I usually put all my linked bins in a bin folder called "zLINKED_RAW" or similar so it sits at the bottom, but easy to go back to if I ever need to go back to the original media.
    -Edit with the consolidated clips, giving them whatever clip names you want.

To find the Canon XF plugin - the XF105 support page is HERE (LINK) - you'll find it under Drivers & Downloads, in the "Software" tab.  Select your OS and find "Canon XF Plugin 64 for Avid Media Access."  At the time of this post, the plugin's version is 3.0.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 8.9.4 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 8 2016 11:58 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,240
    • Points 41,905
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Please note: The Canon XF AMA plug-ins are not displaying in the list of available plug-ins for MC 8.5. They do install, and show up in the console plug-in list as installed, but they do not appear in the Link dialog.

For the moment you either have to use 8.4 or earlier, or transcode outside of MC. There is a case for this in support, # 02894511.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Feb 9 2016 9:03 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,392
    • Points 15,310

DStone:

Please note: The Canon XF AMA plug-ins are not displaying in the list of available plug-ins for MC 8.5. They do install, and show up in the console plug-in list as installed, but they do not appear in the Link dialog.

For the moment you either have to use 8.4 or earlier, or transcode outside of MC. There is a case for this in support, # 02894511.

I had not noticed that the plugin XF is missing from the menu. However, AMA link works for me.

V.

AVID MC8.9.4 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 385.08, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.9.5, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 9 2016 10:51 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,240
    • Points 41,905

Please clarify: Are you saying that the plugin is not showing up in the dialog, but that you are able to link anyway (presumably using the Automatic selection)?

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Feb 10 2016 7:19 AM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,392
    • Points 15,310

Yes,

I use automatic selection.

For good order, I use strictly for copying material from the card to the HDD for the appropriate tool Canon XF utility that creates the correct structure of the card, even when copying material being from multiple cards into one folder. In case of emergency (unavailability XF utility), each duplicating the entire structure of the card ....

V.

AVID MC8.9.4 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 385.08, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.9.5, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 14 2016 4:51 PM In reply to

Thanks usatraveler. I can't AMA link as the cards are getting reused but I like the rest of your procedure and will try it now.

• Sun, Feb 14 2016 5:11 PM In reply to

You CAN AMA link, and you should.  The whole procedure depends on it.  Remember, you don't need to AMA link from the card.  You can link from COPIES of the card.  That's what I always do.

Just copy the entire contents of your card to a drive.  I like to have a drive set aside for camera masters - then, just have a folder for each card, give it some descriptive sortable name that you can easily find.  Put the CONTENTS folder inside that "card folder."  For example, today, I might make a folder called 20160214-BROLL-Card01.  Then, copy my CONTENTS folder inside that.  After I consolidate it, I usually put it onto long-term archive and delete it from my drive.

OR, you can AMA link the card, immediately consolidate from the card, and then just wipe the card after you're sure all the data is copied.  ONLY do that if you know for sure there's no way you'll ever need the raw card media again.  Personally, I always like to keep it, in case I need to use it with other edit packages, and because I just really strongly prefer to always keep whatever the "original" was.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 8.9.4 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 14 2016 7:02 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,240
    • Points 41,905

I put a sticky about this into the Getting Started forum: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/137785.aspx

The short of it is this turns out to be documented (poorly, but documented). AMA plug-ins which require a folder structure for linking will no longer show up in the list of file types in the Link dialog. You must use Autodetect in order to link.

Dave S.

• Tue, Mar 8 2016 11:35 PM In reply to

usatraveler

I followed your procedure and it works and I like it. There is one thing that bothers me thoand that is when I put the clip (2hrs) in the play window and look at the timeline it shows all the (5 minute) series of clips instead of just one so it is reallyu distracting to work with. Is there a way to import as one clip instead of many?

Thanks again, Monique

• Tue, Mar 8 2016 11:44 PM In reply to

Just to be clear - when you link, what are you linking to?  You should be linking to the root of the volume - one level above the CONTENTS folder.  If you do that, your clips should appear as individual long clips, even if they're spanned across many media files.  But if you link directly to the MXF files, each file will appear individually - which would indeed be distracting.

• Thu, Mar 10 2016 6:37 AM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 555
    • Points 6,250

here, with mc 8.5 open, when i put a canon mxf card in the reader, i get instantly and automatically all the clips in a folder.

if the clips were copied in a folder on a hard drive, i can link using   MXF(*MXF) preset (or autodetect).

then consolidete. it's working fine.

mc 8.9.4 with symphony - QT essential 7.7.9 - win 10 pro64 creators - nVidia gtx1080 OC (388.31) - intel i7 6800k@4.1ghz water cooled by corsair H100i... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Sat, Mar 12 2016 2:32 AM In reply to

What plugins are required for 8.4 and do they come with the install still?

usatraveler:

No need to use a third-party converter at all.  This can all be done very quickly in Avid, though the best-quality way (which also happens to be the fastest way) uses AMA... I know you say you don't want that, but hear me out.  Remember, using AMA to get started doesn't mean that you're actually EDITING with the AMA clips.  It's just a way to get the process started.

The best part here is the Canon XF codec is essentially XDCamHD, which is natively supported by Avid.  So, the process doesn't require any transcoding, you can consolidate instead - it's very fast.

What I do with Canon XF media is:

-Install the Canon XF AMA plugin (NOT the "MXF plugin" - that's different)
    -Link to your raw media (one level ABOVE the "CONTENTS" folder).  All the card's clips appear in your bin.
    -Select all of them (or just the ones you want - up to you).  CONSOLIDATE, to your local storage.  When it's done, you'll have two sets of clips - linked ones, and Avid-consolidated ones.  You can just go and bury the linked ones in a separate bin and keep them there.  I usually put all my linked bins in a bin folder called "zLINKED_RAW" or similar so it sits at the bottom, but easy to go back to if I ever need to go back to the original media.
    -Edit with the consolidated clips, giving them whatever clip names you want.

To find the Canon XF plugin - the XF105 support page is HERE (LINK) - you'll find it under Drivers & Downloads, in the "Software" tab.  Select your OS and find "Canon XF Plugin 64 for Avid Media Access."  At the time of this post, the plugin's version is 3.0.

• Sat, Mar 12 2016 12:26 PM In reply to

The Canon AMA plugin is still the way to go with 8.4, and it still does NOT come with the install.  The Canon AMA plugin never did come with the install.

Keep in mind - when I say XDCamHD is natively supported, what I mean is that it's a codec that Avid edits natively, once you get it into a bin.  Still, in order to get that media in, you must use the Canon plugin to first get Avid to interpret the Canon card structure, and get clips to your bin.  THEN, once the clips are in the bin, Avid will be able to identify them as XDCamHD, and you'll be able to consolidate.

The first time you have Canon XF media you want to use, you install the Canon plug-in (NOT to be confused with the MXF plugin), link to one media ABOVE the CONTENTS folder, and your clips show up.

• Sat, Mar 12 2016 3:51 PM In reply to

USA

I meant the Avid MXF AMA plugin which installed with 6.5 automatically. Does it still install automatically? Do you need it to ingest your Canon files or only the Canon AMA plugin? I thought you needed both but I don't know.

Avid has made this AMA procudure confusing and inconsistent, IMHO

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller