Latest post Wed, Feb 3 2016 7:50 PM by TrevorA. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 3 2016 7:04 PM

• PerroneFord
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 31 2008
    • North Florida
    • Posts 58
    • Points 880

Smart Bins

Ok,

First time every putting a request in, and I feel like a fool doing it but...

After working the past few months with DaVinci Resolve for some small cutting tasks, the newest version brought something to the table that I think Avid REALLY could use.  Smart Bins.

Fundamentally, you set up bins based on metadata.  For instance, you create a bin with a parameter that reads the "created date" on the file metadata.  Say Jan 1 is shoot day 1.  You create "Shoot Day 1" with a metadata parameter of "Date created= Jan 1, 2016.  Then ANY file brought into the system that matches that date will automatically land in that bin.  Similarly you can do the same with circled takes, scene numbers, etc.

Imagine the time savings for Asst. Editors or editors working without an assistant where the entire bin structure could be set up in advance and rather than having to move clips from place to place, everything just fell where it needed to.  And more than 1 parameter can be set on a bin.

In Resolve I set flags for graded and ungraded footage, so I can see the running list of how much work I have yet to do. 

Avid is the most metadata rich editor out there.  This smart bin idea would be astounding in what it could bring to the table.

Thank you for your consideration.

Work Edit: Lenovo P700 32 GB RAM Running Win7 64bit 1 TB internal / 16TB of G-Tech External NVidia Quadro K4200 BM Intensity Extreme 2xHP L2045 20"... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Feb 3 2016 7:50 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 993
    • Points 11,330

Re: Smart Bins

+1

Search shows that it was requested in 2006 http://community.avid.com/forums/t/9732.aspx - and probably many other times -  still valid though 

Freelance - so all kinds of everything. Currently v8.6.5 on an iMac running OSX 10.11.3 (El Capitan) or v8.7.x on z420 running Win7Pro and Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]

Avid, Adobe, Resolve, Fusion, FCP7, FCPx, EVS, Tape, whatever.

EVS IPEdit and IPDirector bespoke training.

London editor.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller