Latest post Tue, Feb 2 2016 1:52 PM by camoscato. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 1 2016 8:55 AM

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 480
    • Points 6,085

creating a matte key

So I am working on a intro to a internet show and this was something I wanted to do. I have some drop elements that are black & white that I tried to make into composite to put the footage in to be revealed as in this example. I somewhat have it but the background layer isn't showing as the drop elements open up. I applied a BCC lumer key and played around with that but again didn't allow me to see the main background. Can anyone push me in the right direction on how to do this.

https://youtu.be/VPSGckN_vP0?list=PLlGzAp3IX_CRFGfZL7MtyFWf87YeinLd-

• Mon, Feb 1 2016 9:10 AM In reply to

Re: creating a matte key

Usually elements intended for that kind of use come with a matte key embedded in them, or as a separate element to be combined in Media Composer. Is that not the case with the ones you have?

Media Composer 8.9.3 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Feb 1 2016 9:48 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 480
    • Points 6,085

unfortunately no. These elements are from some old files I forgot about from Video Copilot Riot Gear so they were really designed for AE.

• Mon, Feb 1 2016 9:56 AM In reply to

Without a matte key, you're stuck trying various key effects (like you already have been doing with the Luma Key) to see which one works best, and then tweaking to get the best result you can. If the clips you're using have a unique color in the spaces where the background is supposed to show through, you might try a Chroma Key.

Media Composer 8.9.3 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Mon, Feb 1 2016 10:31 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 480
    • Points 6,085

I have it. I knew there was a way just wasn't sure of how. Just placed the footage I want to use as the matte on the higher track and placed a matte key on it. Done. Found a old youtube video from Avid ScreenCast. This is actually good for those who want to make custom transitions. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFts6beLc3E

• Mon, Feb 1 2016 11:09 AM In reply to

Glad you figured it out! 

• Mon, Feb 1 2016 11:41 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

If you have Boris RED, you could have easily made your own custom effect

http://www.screencast.com/t/gnp4kl1sd1

Regards

Douglas

System 1:Edius Workgroup 8, AMC 6.5.4.5, - Windows [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 2 2016 9:46 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 480
    • Points 6,085

Yes I have been playing around with Red for a couple of weeks. Really trying to get the hang of it. I wish Boris would do more indepth tutorials for Red. It really is a great program and I don't think they really have showed all it can do.. Hopefullyt they continue support for it. 

By the way, no tutorial on how you did that Big Smile

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 12:42 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

dew:
    By the way, no tutorial on how you did that Big Smile

Since leaving the Avid fold I have had a couple of moderators watching me like a hawk to stop me if I even suggest a Google search to find my tutorials.

I don't dare mention them these days - free or otherwise.

Regards

Douglas

System 1:Edius Workgroup 8, AMC 6.5.4.5, - Windows [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 2 2016 1:52 PM In reply to

drbgaijin:

Since leaving the Avid fold I have had a couple of moderators watching me like a hawk to stop me if I even suggest a Google search to find my tutorials.

I don't dare mention them these days - free or otherwise.

Posting links to your free tutorials is fine. Posting links to your paid tutorials or suggesting people Google a set of keywords to find your paid tutorieals is not. This has always been the case not only for you, but for everyone on the forum.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller