Latest post Sun, Jan 31 2016 3:05 PM by Ama. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 28 2016 3:03 PM

• Ama
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 22 2015
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Subcap only shows first row of imported dialogue text

Hi all,

I have a problem with the subcap generator (again!) on our Avid 8.2.2. 
    We translate a documentary for editing and have a lot of material that needs to be subtitled. Since there are many dialogues, the translators wrote the text files using line breaks between the speaking persons. Now - when importing these txt. files into avid, the subtitles only show the first row of the text, before the line break. The second part of the dialogue has not been imported. 
    I tried to change the text files and deleted the line break between the dialogue persons. Now, the whole text appears in the subtitles. But - that looks extremely messy and we definitely want two speaking persons to be separated by a line break in the subcap. And it would be great, not to have to do the break manually in every single subcap-file, that would need hours...But, HOW is it possible to import files that contain one simple line break because of dialogue? This must be possible somehow, no??  
    I couldn't find anything about that on the Internet and we're really in a hurry to solve that problem.

Thanks a lot in advance!

PS: When there are more than two rows of subtitles, the playback starts to stumble terribly. I'm looking for a solution for this since almost a year now, but neither the avid support could help us on that. Tried downgrades and updates - still the same. Does anybody know, if there are some new solutions about that problem? 

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 5:06 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 5 2011
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

Re: Subcap only shows first row of imported dialogue text

What format text file did the translators supply to you? If it's "Avid DS" format, it may be worth checking that the file's text encoding is still correct. It should be "UTF-16 Little-Endian". You can check this and alter it if needed using Text Wrangler software (free from BareBones).

freelance - hence many and various... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 28 2016 7:18 PM In reply to

• Ama
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Hi blindpew,

thanks for the fast reply. I tried your suggestion and changed the txt encoding from western european to UTF-16. Now, avid doesnt even want to import that text-file because its "not readable". We're working in Germany and i guess the western european encoding should be right then, no? But anyways, sadly the UTF 16 didn't work.  

Meanwhile i heard that theres an existing bug that causes the same problem:  http://community.avid.com/forums/p/130708/746822.aspx

I'm planning to update from 8.2.2 to 8.3 then, hoping this will solve the problem. But of course, i would be glad if there would be an easier solution and the possibility to stay with 8.2.2 for the moment...

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 9:03 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 5 2011
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

Could you copy some of the text file into a post here? Perhaps just the first 20 lines, so we can see how the layout looks?

freelance - hence many and various... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 29 2016 10:13 AM In reply to

• Ama
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Sure! Here it is:

@ This file written with the Avid Caption plugin, version 1

<begin subtitles>

10:28:12:01 10:28:13:00 

Guy1: It's ten a.m. already.

10:42:39:01 10:42:42:00

Guy1: Do you remember 4 houses from yesterday? If you don't, it's OK.

10:42:42:01 10:42:50:00

Guy1: We can ask the neighborhood.

Girl: I can ask them for you but I am not sure if they have Ooredoo.

<end subtitles>

• Fri, Jan 29 2016 2:13 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,244
    • Points 39,370

So, if I understand the problem, here is what I got with a small amount of work.  Is this the result you seek?

EDIT:  I should mention that I did this on a v6.0.5 system.  All I had available.  But my belief is one of user error on setting up the SubCap tool.  The UI is less than friendly.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Jan 29 2016 10:56 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,205
    • Points 14,565

That rings like the bug which affected most non-US languages that use accents or are non-western. It was cleared in 8.3 I think.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 31 2016 3:05 PM In reply to

• Ama
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Hi all,

thanks for the replies. I just wanted to update you on that. In the end it was a bug of version 8.2.2..
    I updated to 8.3.1. yesterday, and now the subtitles show several text lines, not only one. 

best regards

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller