Latest post Mon, Feb 1 2016 6:11 PM by Perra Osterlund. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 27 2016 11:15 AM

How to choose the right computer...

Hi

We have here at Chimney went trough the recommended list about all the different computer configuration but it's hard to know which way to go...

What experiences do you have? If we want a computer for the assistant editor who is importing/exporting a lot, which Mac or Win system should we go for? And how about offline editing? And for online editing, where the editor working a lot with sequences which are around 45 minutes long and a huge amount of clips and tracks..?

Becuase we still just working with ordinary HD material and at the most working with AVC HD Intra 100, it doesn't seems like a good idea to go for the really high-end computers.

Any help and experiences would be helpful!

Perra from Chimney, Sweden

4 x ISIS 5000/5500 servers (208TB raw storage) 90 Media Composer clients (in four different countries) - 5 x Dell Precision T3400/T5400 - 7 x Dell Vostro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 27 2016 6:33 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,658
    • Points 112,940
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: How to choose the right computer...

Perra

Are you thinking Mac or PC?   That helps me to advise correctly so you have enough power for the thigns you need.

you might want to take a look at this document as it shows what performance is reuired for each type of workflow, format and codec.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en365919

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 12:29 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna

I think we have to go for Win based computer becuse af the hazzle with Thunderbolt and cable mania...

House format will be DNxHD 36 or maybe any low res DNxHR, only HD, only REC.709

We have four types of clients:

• Editing assistents: huge amount of transcoding, logging and exports
    • Offline editors: very straight forward editing, maybe some Boris FX
    • Assembly editors: putting the different parts from the offline together into huge sequences up to at least 46 minutes and multiple tracks
    • (Online: will be DaVinci system for color correction and grade)

I have seen the document you sent me but it's hard to really get more detailed information if you lets say want to do a lot of exporting, what you should go for then..? CPU power..? GPU power..? RAM? As I know the MC is not using the Cuda or similar technology at all..? Or is it?

A couple of years ago I tested to do an export of the exact same sequence from one Z800 system, configured to be a Sympgony client versus an 21" iMac with BootCamp partition with Windows 7. The same version of MC in both machines. The Z800 finished the export in 30 minutes and the iMac in 32 minutes...... That's why I'm not 100% confident that even if I would going to buy the very high-end machine, that I will benefit in time and cost.

In my world the really power should be at the editor assistant systems who are dealing with all the high-res material and the import/exports. The offline really don't need that amoount of power, especially if we just go for low-res DNxHD 36 as a house resolution and only work with the high-res in the end, round-tripping to DaVinci.

I know I can get your (Avid) recommendation on this, but I would really like the experience of the common user. What systems they are using and what they have been most happy with.

Perra

4 x ISIS 5000/5500 servers (208TB raw storage) 90 Media Composer clients (in four different countries) - 5 x Dell Precision T3400/T5400 - 7 x Dell Vostro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 1 2016 5:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,658
    • Points 112,940
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Perra

sorry for the delay but 8.5 was amazing so a lot of work this weekend.    I touched base with Dave in our hardware test lab and he suggests...

For the editing you describe, I would recommend:

FYI – GPU acceleration is supported on the high end graphics workstation cards from Nvidia and AMD.  Open CL used for some newer plug-ins (like Red).

Good performance, few slots, no hardware support, low price:

HP Z240, Dell 3620, Lenovo P310 – this is the brand new Intel Skylake quad core CPU with DDR4-2133 memory.  Choose the Nvidia K2200 or M2000 (when available)

Better performance, more slots, better hardware support:

HP Z440, Dell 5810, Lenovo P500 – 6 or 8 Intel Haswell Cores with DDR4-2133 memory. Choose the Nvidia K2200 or M2000 (when available).  With Intel Hyper-threading, there are 12 or 16 virtual CPU cores running at the same time.

Top of the line workstations (HP Z640, Z840) support a wide range of choices from 6 to 14 Intel Haswell cores (dual processors – 32 to 56 virtual CPU cores).  These systems usually ship with high end graphics and cost up to 10k.  This system is for UltraHD editing at high frame rates. 

Memory should be 16 GB or higher using all memory lanes for best performance

2 or 4 DIMMs on the Z240,

4 DIMMs on the Z440

8 DIMMs on the Z640, Z840

Hope this helps

Marianna " from Dave"

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Feb 1 2016 6:11 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna and thanks for great answers! This helps me much more! And thanks to Dave ;-)

I'll have a look at these different combinations and see what fit our needs best.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller