Latest post Wed, Apr 5 2017 4:20 PM by Marianna. 62 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 5 2017 1:34 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,821
    • Points 85,625

Re: We need XAVC-S AMA since a year. Why is there no XAVC-S?

BobbyMurcerFan:

In all honesty, I think it's more of a Sony issue than an Avid one. Sony wants to differentiate its cameras along consumer and professional lines. . . .. . . .

Avid is a professional editing app, so Sony has been balking writing an AMA plugin for their consumer cameras for it. . . . . .

That's my take on it, FWIW.

Here is my take:

The problem lies with Avid for creating the concept, in AMA, that camera manufacturers should do the work of providing Avid with plugins for the new codecs.
    Other "professional" NLEs (there are more than you imagine) have never had any trouble with Sony codecs.
    BUT the other NLEs write their own coding into their NLE, They take on the responsibility of providing their users with as many codecs, new and old, that they can.

I know that at least two other professional NLEs had all the flavours of the XAVC codecs in point-updates prior to Sony releasing the cameras.

Regards

Douglas

System 1:Edius Workgroup 8, AMC 6.5.4.5, - Windows [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 5 2017 1:54 AM In reply to

• Rouch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 16 2012
    • Posts 51
    • Points 600

Avid repeatedly promised an AMA plug-in for this codec, then kept putting off the date when it would happen from one quarter to the next.  Now their web page does list a plug-in, the one made by Drastic Technologies that costs $99.  I tried several times to get the trial version of this plug-in to work but I could never get it to produce a smooth playback, as EditReady does just be rewrapping the file as a QT.  This wasn't a fun problem.  Solving it wasted a lot of time!

• Wed, Apr 5 2017 4:20 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,126
    • Points 106,190
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Rouch et al....

The engineering team is working on the required work needed because of the deprecation of QuickTime and the Sony XAVC-S work is part of this effort and we are expecting to have something this quarter. We will likely have a demo at NAB. marianna
    Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 5 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller