Latest post Wed, Feb 10 2016 10:55 AM by hitINdaGs. 25 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 10 2016 9:19 PM In reply to

Re: CPU/GPU usage

hitINdaGs:

As two fellows above mentioned: AMA link and transcode is much faster than importing.

Pat: "As Dan says Import is a legacy process. AMA link and consolidate or Transcode."

I don' t really see why you wouldn't implement the same faster way of transcoding into the old "legacy process" of importing footage other than being lazy about it :)

Because we had import first and we have had it since computers only had single cores. AMA was introduced as an enhanced ingest method saving massive amounts of time over regular import. AMA is alos optimised for modern CPUs so far more efficient. With a new modern optimised ingest why go back and spend time and effort re-writing the old ingest method?

It's been retained for backwards compatability so a 5 or 10 year old project can still be opened and media batch imported because AMA didn't exist then.

Nowadays you use the optimized ingest method. Import does have its uses sometimes as a solution when AMA won;t work and in that case time isn't normally an issue.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Jan 10 2016 9:22 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    AMA is alos optimised for modern CPUs
    You mean the QT plugin? I don't think so.

Importing audio still has benefits (perf slip syncing), although AMA can carry across more BWF metadata. Bit of a conundrum.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 10 2016 9:33 PM In reply to

• hitINdaGs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 3 2012
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,245

@Job: What do you mean by perf slip syncing?

@Pat: Good to know. Even though, I don't get why it is such a big problem to implement that. I bet most ppl don't know and still use import from time to time..

• Sun, Jan 10 2016 10:05 PM In reply to

hitINdaGs:
    @Job: What do you mean by perf slip syncing?
    It allows you to slip the sync in autosynced shots in 35mm projects, in 1/3 or 1/4 frame increments, very much like in the mag tape and film days. Otherwise, you can only sync to frame boundaries.

http://splicenow.com/2011/01/12/syncing-dailies/

It does this by assiging a multiplied sample rate (under the hood), which does not (yet?) work with AMA'd audio, even if that audio was subsequently consolidated. It only works in 35mm projects (meaning projects with the 35mm film options box ticked), and only on audio that was File->Imported.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 10 2016 10:06 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    It's been retained for backwards compatability so a 5 or 10 year old project can still be opened and media batch imported because AMA didn't exist then.
    I sure as hell hope that Avid do not think this is true.

IMO Import is much more reliable for offline online workflows. Especially if the online is in a different facility or has an Editor not completely familiar with relinking from an AMA transcoded media timeline.

Import either works or does not. It does not require the online to know which third party plugins need to be installed. How and where to find the third party party codecs (IF or when the third party gets around to making one! (Sony please) 
    Importing does not rely on an Editor having to KNOW the media recorders folder structure to make it work. Or the field operator needing to keep a proper file structure when offloading the media 

Here Importing graphics and audio is almost, if not just, fast as linking and faster than linking then transcoding. Some video formats import as fast as link and transcode so the only AMA upside is background transcode.

Pat Horridge:
    Import does have its uses sometimes as a solution when AMA won't work
    So it is retained for much more than just backward compatibility!!!

Linking has its benefits here with some (less than 40%) of my projects. It needs a lot more maturity though before I would consider using the term "Legacy" in conjunction with Importing.

• Sun, Jan 10 2016 10:14 PM In reply to

• hitINdaGs
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,245

• Wed, Jan 27 2016 6:06 AM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sweden
    • Posts 639
    • Points 9,815

GPU acceleration of playback is something I've been wishing for over five years. As I see it, it ain't gonna happen with Avid. They do not understand why it's important, why others do it, or why we request it. The bureaucracy of the R&D getting feedback from the users and the zeitgeist of todays editing is almost Kafkaesque. 

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• Wed, Jan 27 2016 7:36 AM In reply to

My comments are just my view of how things seem to be developing. I just draw my conclussion from the amount of development AMA linking is getting and the totle lack of development import has seen.

To me that is a measure of the value of each process moving formwards as seen by the developer.

And Import isn't always agnostic as the local codecs on the machine are used as part of the import process so an offline system could easily have a codec installed that allowed import but not the conform station.

And yes for stills and audio we will often import for simplicity. We don;t use perf slip as most audio is finished in ProTools and fine timing adjustments can be done there. (sad that MC won't allow that)

But importing video just slows down the conform and uses up drive space importing unneeded hires media. AMA based conforms are very quick nowadays and the odd one that has to be done via import because the offline was handled that way incurs an extra time and space overhead.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

• Wed, Jan 27 2016 8:13 AM In reply to

• hitINdaGs
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,245

i actually wasn't aiming for this to solely be a duscussion about ama vs. import. in both cases and also in the timeline - the usage of my cpu/gpu could ve better. 

• Wed, Jan 27 2016 8:40 AM In reply to

CPUY usage when AMA linked and transcoding for many formats will ramp CPU close to 100% for all the cores. I've even had Systems appear to lock up with no OS responses until the transcode ends.

But with Import you don;t get that.

GPU usage just doesn't seem to come into play often enough thats for sure and has been an ongoing point of discussion for years now. At best you can get improved playback of some realtime effects but on a rnage of systems with a range of GPU cards from cheap to expensive editors never seem to notice any difference...

-

• Wed, Feb 10 2016 10:55 AM In reply to

• hitINdaGs
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,245

It's actually getting there in MC 8.5 - better GPU performance! However, MC doesn't seem to realize that there's a secondary GPU in the machine that's not doing anything :(

All in all I'm a fan of MC 8.5 - especially the changes in trim mode are great! It's not running very smoothly yet, though.

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller