Latest post Thu, Sep 12 2019 1:44 AM by jef. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 30 2015 8:51 AM

• MrDonaghy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 27 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 20

Sony S-Gamut (SLog2 or SLog 3 gamma) does not shows up on clips when AMA-Linked them into AVID

When AMA-linked in Avid the "Source color space" for all the clips shows up as "Rec709/2020 gamma [video levels]" instead of "Sony S-Gamut (SLog2 or SLog 3 gamma)" which is the gamma used while recording.
    The camera used was Sony PXW-FS7

I'm using AVID Media Composer 8.4.2

The problem is that when changing colour space I am probably also changing the way colours will be interpreted. So they will be written down in a different way.  Not only that. If it changes to Rec 709 it means that possibly it's crushing the luma info that the S curve was retaining. 
    Any chance that I can tell Avid to read the clip with the camera settings?

• Tue, Sep 10 2019 2:00 PM In reply to

Re: Sony S-Gamut (SLog2 or SLog 3 gamma) does not shows up on clips when AMA-Linked them into AVID

did you ever get to the bottom of this?

we have some Sony shot S-Log2 rushes, which when AMA'd and transcoded in Avid (8.10) are showing up as Rec709

but in Sony software - Catalyst Browse - the same clips are showing as S-Log2 (which is what the shooters intended)

??

Marc

• Tue, Sep 10 2019 7:01 PM In reply to

Re: Sony S-Gamut (SLog2 or SLog 3 gamma) does not shows up on clips when AMA-Linked them into AVID

Marc TVC Soho:

we have some Sony shot S-Log2 rushes, which when AMA'd and transcoded in Avid (8.10) are showing up as Rec709

but in Sony software - Catalyst Browse - the same clips are showing as S-Log2 (which is what the shooters intended)

In Source Settings, you can indicate how Avid handles the source color space and color transform.

Normally, when shooting SLog you shoot flat and a LUT is used. The LUT is just metadata.

Your version of Avid just may not have the LUT pre-installed thus defaulting to a common color space of 709. You can add most LUTs easily in MC.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 10 2019 8:52 PM In reply to

Apologies, I’m confused by your answer....

im aware source settings is used to see and manage colour space settings. 

But we we don’t want to transform the colour space. We’re happy for the log footage to come in log and be edited log. We don’t want / need to apply a rec709 correction.

Our problem is The footage comes in identified as rec709 when it should be identified as s-log2. To be precise the ‘source colour space’ is identified as rec709 in the top of the source settings window  - which is incorrect  

Are you you saying there is some sort of wrong or missing AMA plugin that is causing the footage to be misidentified?

• Wed, Sep 11 2019 2:24 PM In reply to

Marc TVC Soho:
    To be precise the ‘source colour space’ is identified as rec709 in the top of the source settings window  - which is incorrect  

You can change this. This is nothing more than a setting based on camera metadata. It is possible that MC detects it incorrectly. Just change it so the color is processed appropriately.

Also, if your project format settings are set to 709, you will need to add a color transform such as SLog2 to 709 in order for the footage not to look "flat" or "milky".

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 12 2019 1:44 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,502
    • Points 42,200

Marc TVC Soho:

But we we don’t want to transform the colour space. We’re happy for the log footage to come in log and be edited log. We don’t want / need to apply a rec709 correction.

This statement made me wonder if you have a misunderstanding of how Avid's color management works.

Marc TVC Soho:

Our problem is The footage comes in identified as rec709 when it should be identified as s-log2. To be precise the ‘source colour space’ is identified as rec709 in the top of the source settings window  - which is incorrect  

It is possible that all is ok and there is just some confusion going on.

When log footage comes into Avid, if you have the Color Management Settings set to Insert Color Transforms Automatically, then Avid attempts to identify what the native log type is present and then add necessary LUTs so that what you see in viewer looks correct for the color space you have chosen for the project.

So Sony S-log 2 should get a S-log 2 to Rec709 LUT.  This allows the footage to basically look like what the camera saw.  This does not get "burned in" to the footage.  It can be disabled or removed.  You CAN burn it into the footage during transcode operation if you wish.

As Dom said, it is possible that Avid is not getting the right info from the clips as to what LUT to use.  So you can delete what Avid guessed and substitue a different one.  You will need to use the Refresh Color Adapters to see the result of this action in the sequence.

In Source Settings / Color Encoding there are two adjustable areas.  The upper is Source Color Space and the bottom is Color Transform.  This is where I am wondering if you are getting confused.

Marc TVC Soho:

To be precise the ‘source colour space’ is identified as rec709 in the top of the source settings window  - which is incorrect  

I am not so sure that IS incorrect.  The whole idea is to get log footage looking correct in the choosen color space.  And for most of us that is Rec709.

Are you getting any elements added in the lower Color Transform box?  That is where you should see the S-log2 to Rec 709 LUT.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller