Latest post Sat, Nov 14 2015 5:23 PM by Tom Deburchgrave. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 4 2015 9:40 AM

Downgrade pre installed El Capitan to Yosemite

I bought a new iMac two weeks ago and it came with El Capitan pre installed. But MC doesn't work with OSX 10.11.So I tried to instal Yosemite but without succes. It looks like it's not possible (it's prohibited) to instal an older OSX version. Or is there a way? I hope it's possible because otherwise I can't use my MC Super Angry

iMac 4,0-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/16 GB 1867-MHz DDR3 SDRAM/256 GB flashdisk/AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB/ Mac OSX 10.11.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 4 2015 12:53 PM In reply to

• MagnusMeerkat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 29 2005
    • Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    • Posts 189
    • Points 2,235

Re: Change pre installed El Capitan to Yosemite

Apple are crazy sometimes... Not sure why they do this but as far as I'm aware you can't roll back to a version prior to the machines age... Maybe someone else will know a clever trick.

Symphony 2018.5, Mac Pro 2010 3.33ghz 6core, 32gb, OS X 10.11.6, DNxIO --- MC 9.3 Mac Pro 2009 2.6GHz 6 Core, 32GB, OS X 10.11.6, Nitris DX ---- MC 9.5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 4 2015 12:55 PM In reply to

Because Apple make the hardware and the OS they have the luxury of not having to worry about compatability. To that end they prevent an older OS being installed. This is because hardware changes they may have made won't be undertsood by older OS versions and Apple, unlike otehr OS makers, don't make backwards patch updates to support newer hardware.

There are ways to trick the mac into doing an older OS install but it's a real can of worms as you may have issues that can't be fixed without upgrading to the supported OS.

You could run a Windows 7 emulator and run a windows version of MC :-)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Nov 4 2015 1:04 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies.

So it's either running windows or waiting for the next Avid update that's El Capitan compatible before I can start editing. That's a real bummer Sad

iMac 4,0-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/16 GB 1867-MHz DDR3 SDRAM/256 GB flashdisk/AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB/ Mac OSX 10.11.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 5 2015 9:55 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,790

You could try it, But I have tried running MC on Windows 7 Pro via Parallels in the past with no luck. I would say you'd need to create a Bootcamp partition and go the pure Windows route. Good thing is a Mac usually makes a better PC than an actual PC. I hope Avid has a new El Capitan version out soon . . . in the meantime, good luck!

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 5 2015 4:31 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,216
    • Points 14,725

Unless your Mac is a totally new model, there are big chances you can install Yosemite on it without too much hassle. You'll "just" have to find a Mac compatible with Yosemite, install that OS on a USB drive using that Mac, updating it to the latest version, and then booting your new Mac from the USB drive. If it does boot, then you can clone the USB drive onto the internal hard drive of your Mac.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 6 2015 12:43 PM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 17 2011
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

Basically, what Pierre said.  Also, this might be of help to people in the future:

Hardware must have matching drivers/kexts to work properly with an OS.  If there's a new OS (not including minor updates), but no new hardware, there will be drivers/kexts built into the OS for hardware available up to that time and you will be able to use all versions of that OS, e.g. 10.10.0 onwards.  If new hardware is launched but there is no new major OS release, the OS that it ships with will have the new drivers/kexts for the new hardware already on there, in the form of a minor update, but it will be the earliest version of the OS that you can use, e.g. 10.10.3 onwards but no earlier.  If there’s new hardware AND a new OS then those new drivers/kexts needed for the new hardware will only be available in the new OS, e.g. 10.11 onwards only.

So, in summary, for OS/hardware compatibility you need to look at the OS that is available when a particular hardware spec/configuration is available/launched.  That is the earliest combination you can easily regress to, no exceptions.

The caveat to all of this is release dates of the hardware spec and OS release, not date of manufacture irrespective of what Apple ship to you.  If your hardware spec was available with 10.10, but you only got it recently and it arrived with 10.11, you will be able to “easily” get it to 10.10 as Pierre described.  You will not be stuck at 10.11.  Also worth noting, if in future you go to say 10.12 or beyond and want to then go back to 10.11, you will be able to do a Internet Recovery and download 10.11 straight from Apple - they keep a log of what OS they ship to you and you will always be able to regress to it online.

tbd, the new iMac that you have (which only came out recently) launched with El Capitan so it has never shipped with Yosemite.  As such there is no easy, non hack way, for you to get to Yosemite.

1 last thing, and something important to bear in mind about Boot Camp, it now only provides drivers for Win 10 so on a late 2015 iMac you will not be able to get support/drivers for older versions of Windows so you will have the additional problem of Avid needing to be qualified for that as well.  You could run a VM, but not without a performance hit.

Avid 5.5.3 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 2007 2x 2.8Ghx Quad Mac Pro 4GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 8 2015 10:02 AM In reply to

• QMax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 11 2010
    • Milan, Italy
    • Posts 20
    • Points 245

Re: Downgrade pre installed El Capitan to Yosemite

Recently I read somewhere that AMC 8.4.2 can run on El Capitan OS if you download and install Java 6 runtime from Apple website.

Cannot test it because we're using Win7 at the moment...

Avid Media Composer 2018.7 Perpetual/Dongle + Symphony Option PC: Asus PRIME z370-A, Intel i7-8700K/3.70Ghz, 32Gb, Win10 Pro x64, nVidia GTX 1060-6GB Mac... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 12 2015 4:46 PM In reply to

• Cam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 3 2015
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Can anybody attest to this?

iMac 5K 27" Late 2015, 4ghz Intel Core i7, 32gb ram, AMD Radeon R9 M395x 4gb / Media Composer with Symphony option - 8.5.3 / El Capitan - 10.11.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 14 2015 5:03 PM In reply to

• Svenbox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Germany
    • Posts 233
    • Points 2,975

Just tried it on a new 5k iMac with 10.11.1. No chance to get it up and running, so don't bother.

iMac pro, MC 2018.7.1 on 10.13.4., 32 Gb, 1Tb SSD, 12 Tb G-speed ext. RAID 1, [view my complete system specs]

Wat soll dä Quatsch?

• Sat, Nov 14 2015 5:23 PM In reply to

Bummer Confused Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller