Latest post Thu, Nov 3 2016 12:57 AM by Mondo. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 3 2015 6:30 PM

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,475

Recovering Quicklook for DNxHD on OS X 10.9-10.10

Posting a little tip that corrects a little annoyance with Mavericks and Yosemite.  It is no longer possible to preview DNxHD Quicktimes (and all other QTs in codecs other than Prores ou H264) with the space-bar.

It turns out that the old behaviour can be recovered by "transplanting" the quicklook components that handle quicktime files from a copy of OS X 10.8.5.  It works fine - although you need to redo the steps when you update the OS, and you need access to a machine with 10.8.5 to grab the files.  

On a machine with Mountain Lion installed take a copy of the following two files/directories:

/System/Library/QuickLook/Movie.qlgenerator

/System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Frameworks/QuickLookUI.framework/PlugIns/Movie.qldisplay

Put them safe somewhere (Avoid FAT32 formatted USB keys as permissions may be lost - zip them if in doubt)

On the machine with Mavericks/Yosemite, take a copy of the existing files/directories in these locations and replace them with those copied from 10.8.5.  Be careful to only replace these files (not any part of the directories that contain them - doing so will create major headaches)

Run the following commands from the Terminal to repair permissions (you need to have a password set on the account):

sudo chmod -R a+x /System/Library/QuickLook/Movie.qlgenerator

sudo chmod -R a+x /System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Frameworks/QuickLookUI.framework/PlugIns/Movie.qldisplay

sudo chown root /System/Library/QuickLook/Movie.qlgenerator

sudo chown root /System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Frameworks/QuickLookUI.framework/PlugIns/Movie.qldisplay

Enter your password when prompted (nothing will appear this is normal)

Reboot.

The Space bar will now preview DNxHD files and QT reference files as before.

This should also work with El Capitan, but you will probably need to deactivate System Integrity Protection to replace the files (boot in Recovery mode (Cmd+R on startup), Launch Terminal and type csrutil disable), reboot, replace the files then you can probably reenable System Integrity Protection (csrutil enable in recovery mode) - I have not tested this.

Janusz

MC 6.5.3 / OS 10.7.5 Mac Pro Octo 2.8GHz 6M RAM + others elsewhere [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Nov 3 2015 7:01 PM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 154
    • Points 2,070

Re: Recovering Quicklook for DNxHD on OS X 10.9-10.10

Cool tip.

Note that the feature was removed as a security measure.  Third party codecs can cause malicious code to be inserted into QuickTime movies.  Using QuickLook to preview can allow allow that malicious code to be executed even without the file being opened.  This is also why third party codecs are not supported in QuickTime X anymore.  Apple only supports codecs they supply in QuickTime X.  You'll see any file encoded in an unapproved codec will be automatically transcoded when you attempt to open it in QuickTime X.

there needs to be a simpler override for Pro Video Users.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 18 2016 4:14 PM In reply to

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!!! 

3 GHz 8 core Intel Xeon E5 / 32 GB / 10.9.5 / MC8.7.2.44855 / Motu HDX-sdi via PCIe Card / AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 22 2016 3:32 PM In reply to

• ronan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 10 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Fantastic Tip!!!

Just successfully used it on El Capitan 10.11.3 using the csrutil disable and enable commands in recovery mode :)

Thanks a Million!

HP Z400, Nitris DX 6.0.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 24 2016 12:16 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,623
    • Points 18,580

And for those of us who don't have Mountain Lion installed is it possible to post these two files somewhere? Would be much appreciated.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Jul 14 2016 9:57 PM In reply to

Mondo:

And for those of us who don't have Mountain Lion installed is it possible to post these two files somewhere? Would be much appreciated.

Good idea!  Here ya go:

https://goo.gl/FzWku6

• Wed, Oct 26 2016 3:54 PM In reply to

Janusz!  You are my HERO!Yes

thanky you sooo much for this, no one could help me till now.

important to put it in the System/library, not the roo/library.   so i had it after my 2nd go at it. 

greatings from Austria 

Michael 

3 GHz 8 core Intel Xeon E5 / 32 GB / 10.9.5 / MC8.7.2.44855 / Motu HDX-sdi via PCIe Card / AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 26 2016 9:20 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,108
    • Points 13,415

That really made my day, thank you very much!

A while ago, probably when 10.9 came out, I wondered if doing so would be possible. All Mac "power users" around me said nope. And I gave up and just hated Apple each time I hit spacebar on a DNxHD QuickTime file I came across...

Never give up on hope!

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Nitris DX, 10.11.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 3 2016 12:57 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,623
    • Points 18,580

RobEdits37:

Good idea!  Here ya go:

https://goo.gl/FzWku6

Thanks - for some reason copying and pasting the chown commands out of the PDF didn't work. It came up asking for correct usage. Copying form Janusz original post worked. Who knows - they look identical and I imagined you just copied hte post..

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller