Latest post Mon, Oct 26 2015 9:42 PM by PCoyne. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 25 2015 5:26 AM

• PCoyne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 25 2015
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Subtitling/.png issues

Hey everyone,

I am working on a video that needs heavy subtitling. I create/design titles in Illustrator then I export to .png (with transparent artboards/background), import into Avid and animate w/in Avid using Matte Key, transitions, etc.

This has been working pretty well for me, but I recently exported a rough cut and something's up with the subtitles: the clips containing .pngs wash out the picture. This is not happening when I'm in Avid, the problem only appeared in the exported version, so I'm assuming it's a codec issue. I generally use H.264 because I'm usually on a web platform, but this time I used Same As Source Avid codecs, which I've never had a problem with in the past. What could be happening and what can I do to try to fix it?

Thank you!

• Sun, Oct 25 2015 4:23 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,210
    • Points 38,970

Re: Subtitling/.png issues

Try a test where you do a mixdown of a short segment.  Then put the mixdown onto an upper layer.  Select that layer and any audio.  Do a sub sequence.  Now do a Same As Source of the sub sequence.  How does that look?

The reason for this whole dance was to eliminate the possiblity that you might have multiple codecs in your sequence which can cause problems with a SAS export.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Oct 26 2015 7:59 PM In reply to

• PCoyne
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

It looks great—no color change. So is this how I should treat the entirety of my sequence? Does it mean I don't have mulitple codecs?

Thank you so much for your help! That was wonderful advice.

• Mon, Oct 26 2015 9:32 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,210
    • Points 38,970

Once you have done a mixdown, you now have one piece of media, made entirely in the codec you chose when setting up the mixdown.

Mixdowns solve many problems in Avid.

Cheers,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Oct 26 2015 9:42 PM In reply to

• PCoyne
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller