Latest post Thu, Oct 8 2015 3:21 PM by Pat Horridge. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 6 2015 8:45 PM

Can I even download this?

So I am a relative technical novice who recently purchased a used Dell Optiplex 980 with an Intel Core i5 CPU and under 4 GBA of RAM (running Windows 7) to begin my own YouTube channel. After research, I settled on Avid MC as my video editing software of choice, but i'm unsure if my system can even handle it. I attempted to download the trial version, but was met with Error 1309 (Error reading from file, verify it exists and I can access it...). After a bit of digging I uncovered that "Program Files 64" was missing in the Media Composer window, and by default so were all of the smaller files within it (Program Files 64\Avid\Editor Transcode\Avid Interplay AME\QuickTimeServer\ACFPLuginHost.dll is the missing part). As I said, I am a a technical novice, so any help from people not frustrated by this would be extremely appreciated. Thanks all! Namaste 

Dell OptiPlex 980 tower, Intel Core i5 CPU, 3.87 gigs of RAM usable, 64-bit operating system. I have no idea what any of this means. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 6 2015 8:52 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,755
    • Points 19,335
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Can I even download this?

Hi Namaste,

Error 1309 is a permission issue.

Causes:

You may have incorrect user permissions set on the installation target folder.

Solution:

One possible solution is to make sure you have full permission to the destination folder where your program is being installed.

1. Locate the folder on your installation drive.
    2. Right-click the folder and click Properties.
    3. On the Security tab make sure your user name is added to the list, or the Users group is present and that Full Control is selected.
    4. Click OK and install.

Core i5 CPU and under 4 GBA of RAM is another issue. If you can get passed the installation issue, I'm not sure about MC perfomance.

Regards,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 6 2015 9:32 PM In reply to

Thanks for the reply! It looked to me as though I had full permissions, but then I tried the fix of moving the install file to the C: folder. Now, Authenticated Users, SYSTEM, and Administrators all have Full Control that I cannot alter, but Users' Full Control settings that I have enabled repeatedly are taken away when I try to install again. If I try to reinstate that permission, then it starts talking about changing permissions in the root disk, which when accepted doesn't do a darn thing but tell me that I have even more permissions that I can't change.

Dell OptiPlex 980 tower, Intel Core i5 CPU, 3.87 gigs of RAM usable, 64-bit operating system. I have no idea what any of this means. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 7 2015 6:52 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,755
    • Points 19,335
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

coffeemonger98:

If I try to reinstate that permission, then it starts talking about changing permissions in the root disk, which when accepted doesn't do a darn thing but tell me that I have even more permissions that I can't change.

You are log into as Administrator right? IIRC you can set permission on the root C: drive, open MyComputer right click C drive then set your permission.

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 7 2015 10:05 PM In reply to

Problem solved :) thanks for your patience

• Thu, Oct 8 2015 2:40 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,755
    • Points 19,335
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Yes

• Thu, Oct 8 2015 3:21 PM In reply to

You will struggle with less then 4GB RAM

Checking the crucial website you Dell system can handle 16GB RAM

It has 4 slots.

You should check what slots you have free.

Even a pair of 8GB RAM modules is only £40 But I'd go for 16GB

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller