Latest post Fri, Oct 9 2015 2:21 PM by Minerwerks. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 2 2015 4:54 PM

Exchanging Interplay Projects/Media with remote site

Our office has twelve Media Composer systems connected to Interplay Production on ISIS storage. We are talking about having one of the editors work in an office in a different part of the country and we are trying to determine what his workflow would realistically be.

- The best option of course would be to use Media Composer Cloud (former Sphere) to facilitate access to our existing Interplay Production system. Since we do not have any plans to remotely connect more than a single user, this option would likely not be cost-effective.

- The safest option would be to segregate projects and media to the remote system. We would export and transfer (via Aspera) media that the user would need to edit locally and never bring his projects back to Interplay. If we originate a project at the remote location with media that has never been added to Interplay, I could see importing an AAF back to Interplay, however.

- What would be optimal would be to use a workflow that could allow the remote editor to utilize duplicates of media that exists in Interplay and return his timelines to Interplay and relink to the original media on ISIS storage. Based on my experience with the Interplay system, I imagine media could be "thrown over the fence" by copying the MXF OP Atoms right off Interplay and adding those to local storage at the remote site. Exchanging the media and projects in this fashion (if it would even work reliably) would seem to require a good deal of administrator support, where a user-servicable exchange process would be more desirable.

I have searched the Internet and briefly browsed topics in this forum to see if anyone has attempted media and project exchanges with Media Composer systems not connected to Interplay, with no luck. So I am looking for suggestions to see if there are even viable options to consider besides Media Composer Cloud (Sphere).

Media Composer 7.0.4 (on HP Z800 and Z820 workstations), Interplay 3.0.7 with ISIS (Storage Manager 4.6.1), AirSpeed MultiStream 5000 2.7.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 17 2015 10:16 AM In reply to

Re: Exchanging Interplay Projects/Media with remote site

Hi, 

I think that the second option is possible, but requires people who know very well what are they doing within Media Composer and Interplay to make it work. In my opinion, this is not a "real workflow" comparing with the Cloud one, because you have to export, send media and bins, edit, then reutruning back, relink, etc, etc.

The best workflow is the one Avid designed with MC Cloud.

Regards.

Diego

* Avid Media Composer 2018.2 * Interplay | Production 3.8.1 * Media Central 2.10

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 1:50 PM In reply to

Thanks for your reply, Diego.

I wish MC Cloud were really an option. I need a workflow for October, but we wouldn't be able to update our Interplay for Cloud until summer or fall of next year.

Media Composer 7.0.4 (on HP Z800 and Z820 workstations), Interplay 3.0.7 with ISIS (Storage Manager 4.6.1), AirSpeed MultiStream 5000 2.7.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 8 2015 4:25 PM In reply to

You are welcome.

So? Could you make it work? 

Regards.

Diego

* Avid Media Composer 2018.2 * Interplay | Production 3.8.1 * Media Central 2.10

• Thu, Oct 8 2015 4:52 PM In reply to

• Jens Hoppe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 21 2011
    • Frankfurt, Germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 755
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Hi,

you should have a look at "project parking" from Marquis Broadcast:

http://www.marquisbroadcast.com/project-parking.html

They are well prepared for the workflow you describe.

/Jens

MacPro, MBP, Z400, Z420, Z820, MN5, ISIS5000, Interplay... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 9 2015 2:21 PM In reply to

diegovillalba:

You are welcome.

So? Could you make it work? 

I designed a workflow for sending projects out to our California editor. We haven't gotten too deep into it yet, because we're just prepping the equipment to ship. The editor will start working in early November.

At first, he'll be working on some ad hoc stuff that we won't need to archive. He may continue with that type of material for a while, but should we have a need to exchange a project and media, we've completed a round-trip test by taking one of our systems off the network and exchanging files.

Jens Hoppe:

Hi,

you should have a look at "project parking" from Marquis Broadcast:

http://www.marquisbroadcast.com/project-parking.html

They are well prepared for the workflow you describe.

/Jens

As to the additional suggestion of Project Parking - we have demoed that software. If I only wanted to send projects to third party vendors with no possibility of integrating work back into Interplay, it would be a very good solution. With Interplay in the mix, I think I would have to come up with some additional steps anyway, so sticking only with Avid functionality helps me understand what's going on "under the hood."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller