Latest post Mon, Sep 11 2017 7:10 PM by Pat Horridge. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 29 2015 9:30 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,600

Unique Embedded Amira LUT not supported by Avid to After Effects to Avid workflow?

Hi,

I am editing a film shot on Arri Amira.  The original files are UHD 3840 × 2160 ProRes 4444 Quicktimes.  When I brought them into Avid via AMA, they had an embedded LUT on them.  The color transformations in the source settings were: levels scaling (video levels to full range) and Rec 709.AML (embedded).  

I needed to stabilise the shots and required After Effects' Warp Stabiliser, as Avid's stabiliser didn't give me enough control. So, I exported an AAF of my sequence and went import > pro import into After Effects.  The quicktimes that came up in After Effects had no color transformations applied and appeared milky.  I went ahead and did the VFX work.

When the shots were done, I rendered them out as ProRes 4444 files that I planned to edit back into the timeline in Avid. When I ama linked to them, they came in milky, with no LUT.  I opened the source settings and added "levels scaling (video levels to full range)" and "ARRI ALEXA LOG C to Rec 709" color transformations.  

Now, it sort of looks the same as the original shots, but is ever-so-slightly different.  Is this the best I can do?  I couldn't figure out any way of grabbing the embedded Rec 709.AML  LUT that the DOP put on the original footage.  All I could do was apply the "ARRI ALEXA LOG C to Rec 709" LUT that was on my system.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 31 2015 2:45 PM In reply to

Re: Unique Embedded Amira LUT not supported by Avid to After Effects to Avid workflow?

Not sure about adding the LUT, but couldn't you have sent a QT to AE with the LUT baked in?  Or would that have screwed you up down the road?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Aug 31 2015 7:30 PM In reply to

Re: Unique Embedded Amira LUT not supported by Avid to After Effects to Avid workflow?

Perhaps try the Amira Color tool to extract the embedded LUT as a .cube and use that when reapplying the LUT after the roundtrip. ARRI generates different LUTs based on ASA of the shot if you’ve ever played with their online LUT generator. MC have have a general LogC to 709 LUT that does not quite match up.  Amira Color Tool: http://www.arri.com/camera/amira/workflow/amira_workflow/looks_metadata/amira_color_tool/ Arri online LUT generator: http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/tools/lut_generator/
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:22 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,600

Thanks, guys.  Kevin, I didn't want to export a quicktime out of Avid to then import into After Effects - I wanted to send the original file.  However, while the original quicktimes would ama link to Avid with the embedded LUT, they would not do so in After Effects.  Job, I will try to extract the embedded LUT with the tool you mentioned.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 16 2017 8:00 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 449
    • Points 5,215
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but.......

I'm used to seeing Amira LogC Prores footage with "ARRI ALEXA LOG C to Rec 709" automatically applied by avid MC when I link the files.

Recently I've been seeing some footage with the "levels scaling (video levels to full range)" and Rec 709.AML (embedded) automaticlaly applied. I believe this is because the DOP has set the Amira monitoring to show Rec 709.

However it's not consistent. Often a card will contain a mixture of these two 'LUTS'. 

They look pretty similar, and I'm wondering which is the best one to use.

Thanks for any info 

Nigel

ISIS 5500, with Interplay Production bundle, MC 8.6.1 & PT 12.5.1 on Mac OS X.11.3 with BM Mini-Monitors. Running on 2013 Mac Pros and 2016 21"... [view my complete system specs]

Less IS More!

• Wed, May 17 2017 10:52 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,600

Hi, nigelad.  Sorry, I don't have an answer for you.  My only suggestion is to ask the DOP or DIT what their workflow is.  You should haven't to guess what their plan for the footage is.

• Mon, Sep 11 2017 4:39 PM In reply to

nigelad:
    Recently I've been seeing some footage with the "levels scaling (video levels to full range)" and Rec 709.AML (embedded) automaticlaly applied.

All Arri generated Prores, 422 and 444 is Video/Studio Swing, so that seems wrong.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona 3. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 14GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 11 2017 7:10 PM In reply to

I've seen this and it seems to end up with the same result as removing both color adapters.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller