Latest post Wed, Jan 20 2016 3:36 PM by creis. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 21 2015 2:12 PM

Media central UX multiple network connections.

I have a question about media central UX.

In the installation documentation it writes:

Multiple connections are possible. When you maintain other active connections on the MCS server, you must indicate which network connections are reserved for ISIS, and which are used for other network activity.

So I read it is possible to have the communication to the ISIS on a seperate nic ports from the web browser clients that are communicating with the web page simply by selecting eth1,2 or 3 as the ISIS connection nic inside the media central UX system settings (after configuring the eth1,2 or 3 inside redhat of course). If I understand correctly the media central UX web interface is obliged to use the eth0 connection but the ISIS client is not.

Isn't seperation of these 2 networks (ISIS/Web) a desired default setup for performance reasons and security as journalist pc's will often have (unrestricted) internet connections in seperate networks. VLAN's, etc...? I'm not finding a lot of info on other then single connection setups in the documentation.

Thanks for any info.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Mon, Dec 28 2015 2:20 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,231
    • Points 15,520
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Media central UX multiple network connections.

Hey dude. Just checking - did you ever get specific, Avid-documented resolution on this? (Beyond the usual guesswork?) I'm curious to the answer as well.

Chris

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Tue, Dec 29 2015 9:50 AM In reply to

Hi Chris,

I opened a case with this question as well and Avid responded:'Multiple connections? We are not aware multiple connections are supported.' I replied that in the manual it says 'Multiple connections are possible. When you maintain other active connections on the MCS server, you must indicate which network connections are reserved for ISIS, and which are used for other network activity.'Their response was that they need to check with development but that also did not result in anything.

The issue is that with a single 1G connections there are performance issues. From my experience without extensive tests it seems that clips without proxy media or high user count can cause latency and timeouts and I thought it would be wise to separate both.

What's the reason you are also looking into this?

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Jan 7 2016 6:02 PM In reply to

• creis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 26 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

I have a 2 NIC setup working. Just got it up and running, and I still have some work to do to get everything the way I want it, but it is working.

First NIC is Eth0 (default)/Eth1, running on an Intel 82571EB Dual NIC Card. Both are dedicated to the use of ISIS. Special Note: Only enter the first Eth device for ISIS. If you enter both MC|UX can't connect. So in my case, I enter Eth0 in the field you're talking about.

Second NIC is the onboard NIC, a 4xBroadcom Gigabit Ethernet card (named em0,em1,em2,em3). I attached it to a switch, entered those into the other field (the ignore list), and so far so good.

My current issue (and actually a Google search led me to this page) is that I can't seem to get MC|UX working with a different IP Address range. Details: Eth0/Eth1 are 172.16.0.xx (subnet 254), connected to an ISIS on 172.16.0.xx. Works fine for all computers on 172.16.0/1.xx. On one of the other connections I have an IP address of 172.19.17.xx, and am trying to get the computers on that address range to work with MC|UX.

I'll keep you updated on what happens there.

• Tue, Jan 19 2016 9:35 PM In reply to

• creis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

So the issue is that MC|UX wants to 'talk' to itself and the flash/embedded Chrome client wants to talk to the computer IP Address/DNS name that is entered into the MC|UX setup itself.

This creates issues when you're trying to feed clients while traversing different networks. The client wants to see the MC|UX, DNS/IP Address, Interplay Engine, etc. which won't happen in multi-network environments. So at this moment it appears that MC|UX is working well for us over 2 different networks, but only 1 (the 172.19.xx.xxx network) can actually use the MC|UX client software.

Our solution is to give the MC|UX computer a publicly facing IP address and have everyone access it through that. Now anyone who knows the IP Address or (public) DNS name can find the computer and view stuff on it.

Sorry I wasn't of more help,

-C. Reis

• Wed, Jan 20 2016 11:32 AM In reply to

Hi C. Reis.

Thanks very much for the information.

In the manual it is stated that you have to rename the network card that is to be used by media central (not perse ISIS) to eth0. In interpret that Avid has hardcoded inside the media central software that the 'eth0' card is the one to be used by the MC web server. The Ip address and/or hostname need to match inside the setup of mediacentral with the Ip (or DNS name that is linked to that Ip in the dns server) on that specific 'eth0' card.

So it seems logical to me that the web page only communicates through 1 IP (and one network port) only.

But Isis client has always had the ability to select active network cards (regardless of their IP) on Mac OS and Windows and obviously also on the Linux/Unix clients.

So it seems logical to me that the best or default setup should be to setup the eth0 card in the correct Ip + subnet (VLAN) for all Media central clients and setup the second eth1 (and 2, 3.. for more ISIS bandwith) card for the corect IP + subnet (VLAN) for ISIS.

While the documentation indicates this possibility it's default setup is to use only one IP, also with a 1G connection, and for non proxy workflows use 10G connection. I contacted Avid support with this question and they weren't even aware that using multiple cards was posible.... sigh...

The thing is that I have an existing setup that has performance issues but I can't use that system for testing. So I have setup a VMware EXSI 6 to do functional testing but without a virtual ISIS that is tricky so I'm waiting for the moment to have an ISIS 5500 at our offices (for another customer) which I can use for testing without having to deal with other support/setup related issues at the same time but I've had no luck so far.

What is your reason for trying to seperate web traffic from ISIS trafic in your setup and have you also contacted Avid with questions on your findings?

I guess I will have to bother our angel of support, Marianna, to find the right resource again inside Avid.

• Wed, Jan 20 2016 3:36 PM In reply to

• creis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

Sorry I didn't put this info in my previous post. The ISIS connections are currently on an Intel card named eth0 and eth1. The "built-in" network card (the Broadcom) is labeled em0-em3, and the MediaCentral|UX is working/accessible/exported over the em0 port currently. (Just for the record I have been able to access the MC|UX web interface via both the Intel and Broadcom ports since day one. The issue I had/have is with how our network is setup and how MC|UX wants DNS (or IP Addresses) to work).

As to the seperating of the traffic, it's because the ISIS is on a "TV" (basically only TV equipment, which includes all our Avid gear) network, whereas everyone else is on a "IT" network, so we needed to bridge the gap between the 2 at a few points. This is one of those points, so I don't really have any choice in the matter... and yes I know that there are complicated ways to deal with that... I don't like my network stuff complicated. Smile

I have not contacted Avid at this time with my findings, but I will after we complete the transition to a public IP Address, and then I will submit my complete findings.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller