Latest post Thu, Aug 20 2015 4:41 PM by DStone. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 17 2015 1:25 PM

AAF Export - No Media

Hello, 

Apologies for the basic question but can't get my head around it.

I have a comercial that is going to the audio dub. I'm exporting the AAF reference files containing only the audio form the comercial. I shall have two AAF exports, one with the music and guide voice over and one containing only the music. 

After exporting each as an AAF, either as "COPY ALL MEDIA' or 'CONSOLIDATE MEDIA', each file is only 300KB or 400KB. 

I can't understand why this is happening?! Any Ideas?

Thanks

• Mon, Aug 17 2015 3:39 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,194
    • Points 41,350
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: AAF Export - No Media

AAF contains metadata which references the original sources, You have to provide both the AAF files and the files referenced by the AAF files which contain the actual media (in this case the copied or consolidated media files) for the audio dub.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Aug 17 2015 3:50 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,194
    • Points 41,350

If you want you can also choose the option to embed the media in the AAF file. Note that this will not work for LongGOP media.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Aug 17 2015 3:57 PM In reply to

I do want to embed the media in the AAF file as aposed to having it in a seperate folder, where is the option to do this?

• Mon, Aug 17 2015 5:54 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,302
    • Points 16,045

Use the dropdown boxes under Media Destinations in the AAF export dialogue.

• Thu, Aug 20 2015 8:24 AM In reply to

I've found the embed media option, thank you. I exported the file and had a file size of 8MB

I sent this onto the dub and they came back to me saying some of the audio files were missing? 

Do I send the raw files with the AAF to dub, i thought the embedding the audio meant i didnt have to do this. 

• Thu, Aug 20 2015 3:53 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,194
    • Points 41,350

When you exported, did you also embed the audio or just the video? There are 2 tabs in the export dialog for AAF. One is Video Details, and the other Audio Details. You have to go into the Audio Details, change the export method to Consolidate, and then in the audio section below change the Audio from Media Drive to Embedded. This should get all of the audio as well as the video embedded in the AAF.

Dave S.

• Thu, Aug 20 2015 4:08 PM In reply to

The dub have just asked for the audio, no video. So for this AAF I just selected audio. 

When sending an AAF with embedded media off somwhere, do i only need to send this file or does the original media need to be sent as well. 

Coud it be that the audio dub are doing it wrong? I did send originally an AAF file with no media embedded (which was 400kb), could it be they keep referring to this and not the new embedded media AAF file (which is 8MB)?

Thanks!

• Thu, Aug 20 2015 4:41 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,194
    • Points 41,350

It's supposed to embed all the audio, so that the file is self-consistent.

In the export dialog, what options did you select for the export (include rendered effects, etc.)? I'm presuming you have told it to include all audio tracks.

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller