Latest post Wed, Aug 19 2015 7:30 PM by Bryan Gibel. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 14 2015 11:20 PM

Copying MXFs from ISIS 5000 through OS?

Hello,

I'm a documentary filmmaker in conversations with a TV station in New Mexico to get copies of about 35 hours of footage from a high profile trial that the station has on its ISIS 5000 storage system. They were the only camera allowed into the press pool and they have been mandated to live stream and share the footage, but the station's engineer has told me that he doesn't know how to acess the MXF files from the hearing on their ISIS 5000 system to copy the XMFs over for me on a hard drive.

He said the main issue was that the ISIS system stores the MXFs without regular names or keywords and he wouldn't know how to locate them to do a copy and paste for me. Locating the files through AVID would be no problem, but getting the files over to me would take a very lenghty export process that the station simply will not allow. 

Is there any way for the engineer to copy me the MXF files from the trial each day directly to a hard drive? Can anyone help with how to do that? 

Your help and expertise would be very very much appreciated. It's very frustrating to know that the files are there, but nobody knows how to locate them to copy and paste them over for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

All the very best,

Bryan Gibel

• Sat, Aug 15 2015 2:01 AM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,234
    • Points 27,615
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Copying MXFs from ISIS 5000 through OS?

This isn't specific to ISIS, it how Media Composer organizes media. Do you have Media Composer?

There are a number of strategies on moving media but the easiest would be to select the clips or sequence and consoldate it to an external drive. This can be done without deleting the original media.

Ideally you'll have a copy of the project and bin with the clips but even that's not needed. The external drive will have a new Avid MediaFiles folder and its a matter of attaching it to your computer and opening the bin with Media Composer.

This is an extremely easy and common process and something the engineer should be able to do.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, Aug 19 2015 7:30 PM In reply to

Re: Copying MXFs from ISIS 5000 through OS?

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your response. it has cleared up a lot of confusion on my end, and it's much appreciated. I'm not familiar with the Isis 5000 system at all, though I am somewhat familiar with Media Composer, and my colleague on the project works with it regularly. My concern was that the server based Isis storage system wouldn't allow the TV station to consolidate to an external drive, but it sounds like that should be no problem, and they can consolidate through Media Composer the same way they would with any other data storage hardware.

Now that I know this should be easty to do, I'll follow up with the engineer and send my colleague over to the station with a harddrive to get the MXFs. I'm not sure whether they were trying to stonewall me to keep me from getting that footage or just never use the consolidate media function because they do all of their work through workstations that are connected to their Isis 5000 via server.

Thanks again for your help, and I'll let you know how things work out.

All the very best,

Bryan 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller