Latest post Thu, Oct 8 2015 3:22 PM by Vadym. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 10 2015 9:27 AM

The response of search command from PAM sometimes becomes incorrect

Hi,

I've noticed that the response of search command from PAM sometimes becomes incorrect when submitting many search command concurrently.

Please find the bunch of tiles in single zip file at the link below, which includes my test scripts as well as the test results.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=44FC09C0FA068899!10865&authkey=!ADpYQD8en4RoAJM&ithint=file%2czip

When I submit search command to get the modified date information for specific sequense using the soap message, which will be executed 200 times in parallel, five out of 200 search request contained diffrent result. You can find the difference at the Modified Date attribute.

soaptest1.sh.txt, soaptest1.xml.txt : the script which will submit 200 search requests for modified date attribute at one time.

result-1.tgz : the raw test data.

test result 20150715.txt : comparison result using MD5 hash for 200 search results. five out of 200 times had different outputs.

diff result.png  : result of Winmerge, that I used to compare the normal output vs incorrect result.

The difference was in "Modified date" attribute. I was not able to find out any errorness other than Modified date attributes.

Could you anybody help me to find out why this errorness was caused, or if it was caused by API bug or PAM bug ?

Thank you and best regads,

wowow_support+avid@itochu-cable.co.jp

• Mon, Aug 10 2015 1:16 PM In reply to

• robg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Tewksbury, MA
    • Posts 494
    • Points 5,605
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Re: The response of search command from PAM sometimes becomes incorrect

itochu-cable,

Please let us know what versions of Interplay Production and IPWS you are running.

- Rob

• Tue, Aug 11 2015 4:23 AM In reply to

Interplay Production version is 3.0.8.

Do IPWS you mean the Interplay Web Service?

if so, the version of IPWS is 3.0.9.

Thank you and best regads,

• Wed, Aug 12 2015 2:11 PM In reply to

• Vadym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 17 2014
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,600
      Avid Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the details. Can you explain your workflow as to why do you need so many concurrent searches?

Searches produce significant load on Interplay engine and you may be affecting other users performance with such a load.

I've confirmed that inconsistent results do appear when doing 50+ searches and a PAM developer should be available to take a look later this month.

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 9:19 AM In reply to

Hi Vadym,

Thank you for your reply.

Let me explain in two parts.

Regarding the samples I uploaded earlier, they were to show how you can replicate the issue easier by using the script.

It is not the real API call that is being used at the production system.

In our workflow of the real production system, we would like to identify any updated sequences in a specified PAM folder, then trigger the next process for such sequences.

In order to achieve it, we used the steps as shown below.

1) search the objects in a specific PAM folder, by type 'sequence', in every 15 seconds,

2) receive the list of information of sequenses as the response,

3) then compare the modified date of those sequenses with the previous value, that was received at the last time(15 seconds before),

4) if the modified date of the current sequence is newer than the last one, then determine that sequence is updated.

In such being specified PAM folder, there are approximately 300+ sequences at the moment.

We realized that the returned value of "modified date" was intermittently different from the original modified date in PAM database.

I hope above answers to your questions.

Thank you and best regards,

Itochu Cable Systems.

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 6:45 PM In reply to

• Vadym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,600
      Avid Employee

Hi,

So in this scenario you do just 1 search every 15 seconds and still see the issue?

• Wed, Aug 26 2015 4:22 PM In reply to

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

Please find the attached pdf file, that should be self-explanatory.

In our production system, there are two client pc's for system redundancy, and each of them sends search querry for PAM folder "A", and PAM folder "B", with search filter by type="sequence". 

We control the time gap between each query command, as approximately every 15 seconds.

Note, we noticed that it would take approximately 90 seconds until we receive the response from PAM for each query request.

It might be related to the number of sequences in a PAM folder, "A" and "B", which is about 300 to 400.

Hope above helps your further understanding.

Itochu Cable Systems.

• Thu, Aug 27 2015 1:39 PM In reply to

• Vadym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,600
      Avid Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the additional details. Your bug number is IPAM-1458 and first look at it is scheduled for the next PAM release (supposedly 3.4).

• Mon, Aug 31 2015 2:59 AM In reply to

Hi,

Thank you for the udpate.

Noted, the fix will be delivered with next PAM release, which would be 3.4.

Could you please tell me what is the targetted timeline of the next PAM release ?

• Thu, Sep 3 2015 6:19 PM In reply to

Hi,

Because of the concern about the version matrix of AVID applications, we'd rather prefer the fix to be applied to Web Service only, than applying it to Interplay Engine, which gives us less impact to our version compatibility consideration.

- Could you please confirm if the fix can be applied only to Web Service ?

- Could you also please let us know when the fix release will be available to us ?

Thank you and best regards

• Thu, Sep 10 2015 11:58 AM In reply to

Hi,

I meant,

- Can the fix be available as patch, rather than  part of newer version of Interplay Engine core ?

If the patch is available, applying such fix to the production system is going to be much easier, because we don't have any concern about the compatibility between other software components at the customer's production system.

e.g. Media Composer, Interplay Engine, ProTools, ISIS client, MAC OS, Interplay Transfer, STP encoder, etc.

• Thu, Sep 10 2015 3:56 PM In reply to

• Vadym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,600
      Avid Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately I cannot provide public insight into which part is going to be fixed. Please contact Avid support if you need this fix for a specific Interplay version.

Thanks

• Thu, Oct 8 2015 3:01 AM In reply to

Hi,

As far as I understand, the PAM 3.4 has been released.

Could you please tell me if the fix for this issue has been delivered in PAM 3.4 ?

Thanks

• Thu, Oct 8 2015 3:22 PM In reply to

• Vadym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,600
      Avid Employee

Hi,

The bug has been re-sheduled for the next release. No fix for 3.4

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller