Latest post Fri, Aug 14 2015 7:10 PM by Vadym. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 7 2015 9:19 AM

Bad Network Locator paths for assets checked in to Interplay

Hi,

I originally posted this in the main Interplay forum by mistake, it probably more correctly belongs here.

Using the following configuration:

Avid ISIS client  v 4.7.0.10570

Avid Service Framework  v1.8.0.40

Media Composer v 8.2.3

Avid Interplay v3.1.0.43225

A new master clip is imported into Media Composer which has connected to Interplay as a different user to that used by the ISIS Client manager. 

The Master clip is checked into Interplay.

If the AAF for that Master is retrievied from Interplay, for example using Web Services (GetLatest), then the resulting AAF has invalid Network Locator paths, of the form //UNAVAILABLE/1234/file.mxf.

If the Interplay user and the ISIS connection user are the same, then the network locators in the AAF are correct.

Is this a bug?  It seems to have started happening for installations where Media Composer version are greater than 8.0, although direct export of the AAF from Media Composer always gets the path correct, which suggests something relating to the Interplay framework?

Thanks

Steve

• Fri, Aug 7 2015 6:25 PM In reply to

• robg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Tewksbury, MA
    • Posts 494
    • Points 5,605
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Re: Bad Network Locator paths for assets checked in to Interplay

Steve,

I spoke to the developers about this. They have some follow-up questions and a test for your to run.

Questions:

1. Are you using Windows login for the ISIS client?
    2. Are you using mapped drives or UNC paths for ISIS?
    Test:
    • Create a new sequence in Media Composer and export it to AAF (without checking it in to Interplay)
    • Do the network locator paths look correct?
    - Rob

• Mon, Aug 10 2015 4:15 PM In reply to

Hi Rob

In answer to your questions:

- Yes using Windows login in the ISIS client

- Using mapped drives - if I change to UNC paths, then the shared workspaces don't appear in the "Consolidate\Transcode" dialoog, is this problemn with configuration?

- Export of AAF directly from Media Composer has always created AAF files with the correct paths in my tests.

The problem does seem somewhat intermittent - it happened consistently this morning but by this afternoon mostly I have not been able to recreate it.

We have had reports of this problem at 3 customer sites in the past few weeks.  At one last week, where  they  were rolling out 8.2.3 they reported this as a major problem after they had changed the location / workspace for renders.  I don't know if this is hugely relevant or gives more clues as to the cause!

Cheers

Steve

• Mon, Aug 10 2015 9:08 PM In reply to

• andym
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 13 2011
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,120

Steve,

What might be happening here is that the Interplay Engine has a different view of the ISIS storage than the Media Composer. In this case, if the editor (or whatever creates the media) can reach & check in media under a workspace path that is not visible to the Interplay Engine, it might be marked as inaccessible. In your case, can you confirm that the Interplay Engine has access to the storage path that is being checked in by the (editor or other) client? Would that be a possible explanation for the seemingly 'intermittent' behavior?

• Tue, Aug 11 2015 8:45 AM In reply to

Hi Andy

The workspace I am using for my tests is mounted on both my Media Composer and on the Interplay Engine. 

On my local machine I use a corporate domain login and I connect as to ISIS as "logged in user".  The Interplay Engine, whilst also part of the corporate domain, is logged into as the local Administrator acount and its ISIS connection is also set to connect as "logged in user". 

On the Interpl;ay Engine, ISIS is also set up to mount wokspaces by drive letters, although it has mapped to different drive letter to my local Media Composer.  I can't see this can be make any differernce since all the AAF paths are UNC-based.

Steve

• Wed, Aug 12 2015 6:16 AM In reply to

• andym
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 13 2011
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,120

Hi Steve, I would expect this to work. We'll have the development team look into the issue.

• Wed, Aug 12 2015 4:40 PM In reply to

• Vadym
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 17 2014
    • Posts 195
    • Points 2,430
      Avid Employee

Hi Steve,

Please verify that your server execution user has access to your test workspace. Interplay Engine uses own credentials to log into ISIS.

Additionally to rule IPWS out of the issue please use Interplay Access and let me know what you see in file locations tab of Object Inspector pane for the asset

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 11:06 AM In reply to

Hi,

Frustratingly I am unable to now reproduce this problem on our test system.  From memory when I was on-site in July, in Access the file locations did initially appear as "//UNAVAILABLE/.." but I think an update from Media Indexer may have resolved the paths in Access although not in the AAF we retrieved from Interplay WS.

Based on the field reports it does seem to have started since they have upgraded MC to v8.2.3.  It does appear to be a user permissions problem, we found that ensuring the Interplay User (used by MC) was the same as the ISIS connection user then the problem appeared to resolve itself.  I am not in a position to say what their Interplay Engine user was that was running services or the user the IE used in its ISIS connection.

The media composer obviously has access to the workspace using the current ISIS connection user in order to consolidate media and it is able to generate an AAF with correct paths.  When the consolidated Master clip is checked into Interplay another process is trying to validate the media paths (as seen by Media Composer) and this is failing. 

- Could you explain to me which user this is?  Is it the user that they used to log the Media Composer into Interplay?  Or is it the user the Interplay Engine services are running as? 

- What permissions does this "user" need to have on the workspaces in order to avoid getting the "//UNAVAILABLE/..."  path in the subsequent AAF retreived from Interplay WS? 

- If the Master clip has been checked into Interplay with paths set as "//UNAVAILABLE/.." is there any way to force the AAF to be updated prior to us requesting it via WS?

Thanks

Steve

• Fri, Aug 14 2015 7:10 PM In reply to

• Vadym
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 17 2014
    • Posts 195
    • Points 2,430
      Avid Employee

Hi Steve,

In case you see \\unavailable in Access then please contact Avid Customer Care as it may be incompatible versions or configuration issue as well as a bug.

IPWS retrieves the same information you see in Access so you'll get what is there. This is not SDK issue in this case.

Your questions go into behavior that is not documented and may change in future releases. For the current version IP 3.3/4.7.5 ISIS media locators on a shared storage will be checked in properly if Interplay Engine ISIS client lists locator hostname as a valid system or the hostname is explicitly licensed as a 3rd party media storage.

In all other cases media locator hostname will be replaced with "unavailable" this applies to local media as well.

Through IPWS you can use GetFileDetails request to verify locators before export and decide from there.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller