Latest post Sat, Aug 8 2015 1:55 AM by hbrock. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 7 2015 12:25 AM

Attempting to use custom transition using blend modes

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum so bear with me here. I'm working on a project and I'm (trying to) using Rampant's custom transitions between some of the shots in the project.

For reference, this is exactly what I'm trying to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uUHb16PaQA

Now, I've been digging as deep as I possibly can trying to find an alternative for the "screen" blend mode that they use in the video inside of MC. I've been selecting each available option & playing around with things like opacity & such to mimic the effect but its all wrong. From what I've read so far, MC does not have certain blending & compositing features natively, most people suggest third party plug-ins (not an option unless its free - I'm a student) to do the job or reccomend to use separate compositing software for that one thing (I find that counterproductive since this is a very small task that shouldn't need software-jumping). However, I noticed the forum posts and discussions I've read are quite old & outdated, usually around the MC 5-7 range, so I haven't found anything recent regarding this. This leads me to my two questions, which are sort of the same question:

1.) Has Avid since added these features in the newer versions? Possibly using different names? (Currently using MC 8.4)

2.) If not, or if yes, How can I achieve the exact result as shown in the video using MC?

MC has grown on me & I am really warming up to using it as my main NLE, but I'm still grasping a lot. I would rather not have to go back and forth between NLE's when I have something in particular I need to do, which is why I'm focusing my efforts into MC so I can use it for everything I need. I appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks!

• Fri, Aug 7 2015 4:35 AM In reply to

Re: Attempting to use custom transition using blend modes

Sorry, but most BLENDING MODES, such as SCREEN, are only available in plugin packages like Boris Continuum Complete and Sapphire.  There MIGHT be a way to do this using Avid FX (AFX...Boris Red, comes with Avid), but I'm not sure how. 

And yes, it is very frustrating that Avid doesn't have these, and that you need to buy plugins costing between $1000 and $1600 in order to get this mode.

• Sat, Aug 8 2015 1:55 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Attempting to use custom transition using blend modes

You can try this:

In the Effect pallete select Blend on the left side and 3D Warp on the right side.  Apply scaling to the 4K file and size as needed.  Put a keyframe at the midpoint of the effect and set the foreground opacity to 100%.  Add keyframes at the beginning and end (or where ever appropriate) and set the opacity to 0%.  As with cooking, season to taste.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller