Latest post Sat, Jul 18 2015 9:32 AM by janusz. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 22 2015 10:15 AM

• Ama
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 22 2015
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Please help! Avid 8.3.1 MC on iMac 10.8.5: stumbling playback when subcap effect activated.

Dear Community,

i just created an account because I'm at my wit's end. We have a big problem with the subcap editor in Avid Media Composer 8.3.1. To start from the beginning: We recently updated to Avid 8.3.1 Media Composer, working on an iMac 10.8.5 16GB Ram. We asked our technicans before to recommend us the right Mac System for this Avid Version and they said it's 10.8.5. So we installed this. Everything seemed to work until i wanted to import subtitles formatted as .txt files using the subcap editor. (We're editing a documentary and have a lot of material that needs to be subtitled for editing since the language is burmesian and no one of us can understand the spoken words during the edit). So, importing the files worked well, Avid used the timecode in the text and put everything on its place. But - the playback is a mess. When the subcap layer (subcap effect lays in an extra layer on top of the sequence) is activated, the playback is terribly slow and stumbling. When we turn of the visibility of the subcap layer, the playback of the material works perfect again. 

I'm dealing with this problem since 3 weeks and I'm in contact with the Avid Customer Care too. We transfered some snippets of the material to their computer but they recreated the problem and are still searching for a solution. I read in some forums about people with the same problem. They recommend to render the subcap layer. So i did, and after that, the playback works good. The problem ist, that the rendering requires a lot of time and we can not make any edit, since after each edit, everything has to be rendered again. So, rendering is not an option for us. Furthermore the Customer Care asked us to create a new project, and a new user profile. We tried both separately and together, nothing changed.
    As i also wrote to the Customer Care, i also read in a forum that down installing to 8.3.0 MC could help in some cases. The Customer Care recommended us to down install to Avid 8.3.0 and see if the problem still exists then. But since they can not guarantee that this will help i'm quite afraid of doing this. 

Here are our specifications:
    Avid Media Composer 8.3.1
    iMac 10.8.5 Mountain Lion
    16 GB Ram 
    graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MD

The material is transcoded in DNxHD 120 and we edit online. 

We wanted to start the edit today and are loosing time and money because of that problem. So If anybody has any solution for me, i would be very happy!

Many thanks in advance!
    Sarah 

• Mon, Jun 22 2015 12:21 PM In reply to

Re: Please help! Avid 8.3.1 MC on iMac 10.8.5: stumbling playback when subcap effect activated.

What's your playback quality setting (lower left of timeline) - if it's full-green, you might try stepping it down to a lower setting while you work with unrendered subtitles - either yellow/green or full yellow.  See if that helps.

Also - when you render, have you tried using "ExpertRender" to render specific parts/effects on the timeline, rather than "everything?"  That might help you save time.

I agree, playback with subtitles is frustrating.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 22 2015 1:09 PM In reply to

• Ama
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Re: Please help! Avid 8.3.1 MC on iMac 10.8.5: stumbling playback when subcap effect activated.

Dear usatraveller,

thank you for your reply! the playback quality settings are set to the mid quality. For some reason we couldn't change it to full yellow since it wasn't suggested anymore in the program.
    I didn't try the expert render yet but tried the instructions in this tutorial: http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/how-to-render-an-effects-composite-intelligently-in-avid-media-composer/
    But also with this, the rendering needed a lot of time.
    Which setting could you recommend for the expert render regarding the subcap stumbling?   

Thank you!

• Mon, Jun 22 2015 3:38 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,283
    • Points 39,795

Is it possible that your render settings are set to create a rendered file of a type or quality higher than your system can playback?  Check your media creation settings.  Also, make sure that the renders are going to your media drive and not a drive that might not have the speed to sustain playback.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Jul 17 2015 8:18 PM In reply to

• Ama
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Dear all,

I'm still working on a good solution for this subcap effect problem, sadly nothing found yet. I spent hours on waiting for parts to be rendered. And ja, the playback quality is on mid-quality and i put the render settings on an eighth and use expert render. But still - playback without rendering is impossible and renderung needs so much time. I don't know, how long can be regarded as 'normal' but it would interest me, how long your Avid is rendering when you use a subcap effect (that means: only one effect in the top layer with expert render)? I just had a part from one hour and rendering this took it around 1,5 - 2 hours. Any further recommendations?

Thank you and best regards,
    Sarah  

• Sat, Jul 18 2015 9:32 AM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,485

There is another thread on this issue, you are not the only one!

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/133721/766802.aspx#766802

Janusz

MC 6.5.3 / OS 10.7.5 Mac Pro Octo 2.8GHz 6M RAM + others elsewhere [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller